Introvert who`s scared about starting Uni Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mav455
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Im starting uni this year, still havent decided between my two top choices, but I am leaning towards one of them more than the other. But I`m the kind of person who`s quite introverted. Im not shy, its just sometimes I can never think of what to talk about with a person, I guess its because I overthink things sometimes, which leads me to not talking about some things at all. Im confident about talking but it doesnt sound that way when Im actually talking to someone.
For those introverts who are at uni/have been to uni, I just wanted to ask; How did you find it? Was it easy to make friends?
I am actually looking forward to uni, the one im more eager to go to will mean I stay in accommodation so Im hoping that will make things a lot easier. There is one other thing that worries me though. Its dominated by one ethnicity and only about 2/3% is the same ethnicity as me. I dont find it a problem, I`d love it, but I`m kind of afraid that because Im one of the ethnic minorities, it will make it harder to make friends. Anyone have some advice??
crayon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Join societies, you'll find ppl with similar interests you can make friends with. Im quite an introvert myself but sitting quietly got me nowhere once i started talking to some people in my college i found out it wasnt that hard and gained confidence. Dont overthink too much thats my problem too!

Im sure you'll be fine im starting uni this year as well. Also you'll meet tons of people from different backgrounds im from an ethnic minority too (asian) i dont think you should worry about that too much!!

Good luck anyway which uni are you thinking of going ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Killer Bean
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mav455)
Its dominated by one ethnicity and only about 2/3% is the same ethnicity as me. I dont find it a problem, I`d love it, but I`m kind of afraid that because Im one of the ethnic minorities, it will make it harder to make friends. Anyone have some advice??
I can guarantee you that it won't be. If anything, most people would be slightly more inclined to talk to you because of your race.

For those introverts who are at uni/have been to uni, I just wanted to ask; How did you find it? Was it easy to make friends?
I think introvert/extrovert is a false dichotomy. I had been cripplingly shy for quite a while, but overcame it by paying attention to how I deal with people, and ironing out the appropriate social inhibitions accordingly. I think that no matter how shy you think you are, you can do something similar. Even before I managed this though, making friends hasn't been too difficult for me personally.

I guess its because I overthink things sometimes, which leads me to not talking about some things at all. Im confident about talking but it doesnt sound that way when Im actually talking to someone.
I know what you mean, or at least used to think similarly. I can't tell you what to think or how to act - certainly seeing as I don't know how you think or how you act - but I don't think that's a good approach to take. I think the best way to sort this out is experience: go out, talk to people, and I think that if you pay enough attention to what you're doing you'll figure out a way to make yourself as good a person to have as company as possible.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Despite what you've 'heard' about University - ie. if you believe the stories Freshers is apparently something akin to a 24 hour Ibiza party week - its actually quite tame. There will be every sort of person there you can imagine and many, many of them won't be feeling that confident either. Yes, at this point it can all feel a bit scary/exciting but thats very normal, and once you've been there a week or so and have settled in, you'll wonder what you were that bothered about - promise.
Mav455
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by crayon)
Join societies, you'll find ppl with similar interests you can make friends with. Im quite an introvert myself but sitting quietly got me nowhere once i started talking to some people in my college i found out it wasnt that hard and gained confidence. Dont overthink too much thats my problem too!

Im sure you'll be fine im starting uni this year as well. Also you'll meet tons of people from different backgrounds im from an ethnic minority too (asian) i dont think you should worry about that too much!!

Good luck anyway which uni are you thinking of going ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
East Anglia
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
UEA is lovely. Its one of those smaller campus Unis and has a very welcoming community feeling - bit like living in a village.
It certainly isn't one of those very posh, competitive places where everyone else seems to be over confident.

All Freshers Weeks at all Unis have lots of gentle events designed to help even the most shy make some friends and heaps of stuff doesn't revolve around mega-socials with everyone drunk - promise. Don't worry about it. Everyone one else will be feeling a bit scared too. It doesn't last long.
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Im starting uni this year, still havent decided between my two top choices, but I am leaning towards one of them more than the other. But I`m the kind of person who`s quite introverted. Im not shy, its just sometimes I can never think of what to talk about with a person, I guess its because I overthink things sometimes, which leads me to not talking about some things at all. Im confident about talking but it doesnt sound that way when Im actually talking to someone.
I am actually looking forward to uni, the one im more eager to go to will mean I stay in accommodation so Im hoping that will make things a lot easier. There is one other thing that worries me though. Its dominated by one ethnicity and only about 2/3% is the same ethnicity as me. I dont find it a problem, I`d love it, but I`m kind of afraid that because Im one of the ethnic minorities, it will make it harder to make friends. Anyone have some advice??

Everyone feels like an introvert occasionally, you just have to make an effort, force yourself to go out and be sociable until you start to enjoy it.
theperformer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by cole-slaw)
Everyone feels like an introvert occasionally, you just have to make an effort, force yourself to go out and be sociable until you start to enjoy it.
100% catered for extroverts
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads