Are Polish people white??

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
sarah22345
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I always considered them white but someone told me they not but they look white to me?
just_me_uk
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
Are you trolling or something? Look up white in the dictionary...
mariocasas
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Of course they're white, every European (indegenious) is white.
lor771
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
No they are obviously black...
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
Yes, they're white, but Caucasians are not entirely homogenous, of course. On average Poles will have a different genetic profile to us, more West Slavic and less carrot-top Celts. Caucasian populations extend right the way across to the Indian subcontinent and right the way down to the Sahara, for all intents and purposes these guys are "white" as well.

If you want to define it so you exclude Poles from being "white", then "white" more or less means Britain, the northern half of France, the Low Countries, Germany and the Scandinavian coast. "White" would then mean "Celt, Norse, Saxon plus a little bit extra" and it is a laughably Anglocentric notion of "white" rejecting anything below the Alps and Jura and east of about Berlin. This area has been the locus of European power since about 400 so there's something of a vested interest in it that today finds a voice in calls for a "two-speed Europe" or a "Northern European Union".
lucas13
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
yes
nia1277
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Leonard21)
No Polish are not ”white” and they never have been ”white”. The only people that can be called white are the dominating colonial powers such as Britain, France, Germany, Netherlands etc but if we're being honest Great Britain is the only true ”white” in the sense that they had the biggest ”white” empire and colonized majority of the world creating the ”white” master image in the indigenous peoples minds. So the answer is NO, no Polish are not considered white nor is Eastern Europe for that matter. I live in the UK and I've witnessed racism towards Polish from English people. They don't considered Eastern Europe being the same as them and to be fair they're not, race wise that is.
most polish people are in fact white and I don't want to invalidate the sh1tty things people say to Polish people but it's not racism but most likely xenophobia and discrimination based on incorrect stereotypes and prejudices linked with the country and polish people but not racism as they arent a separate 'race'
Little pecker
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Thought Ethnic poles were Jewish
Leonard21
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by nia1277)
most polish people are in fact white and I don't want to invalidate the sh1tty things people say to Polish people but it's not racism but most likely xenophobia and discrimination based on incorrect stereotypes and prejudices linked with the country and polish people but not racism as they arent a separate 'race'
No I don't believe they are white. And the comments made towards them are definitely racist as Polish people don't infact share the same genetic ancestry as the English so anything said towards them is racist. As they are in fact a different race. Anything past Berlin isn't really white in the colonial power sense.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (13)
22.41%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (5)
8.62%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
6.9%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (7)
12.07%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (16)
27.59%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
22.41%

Watched Threads