The Student Room Group

The Review Your Driving School Thread

Idea i've had for a while.

Often on TSR we have people coming on here wanting to know what driving schools are good/bad and some real life stories from those who have been in them. Then they can just use the inbuilt TSR search function on this thread to find local instructors.

I thought it would be awesome to get a thread together where people who have done their test can then come and post and say how their instructor (s) was.

I was thinking something along the lines of categories like...

Name of instructor/School:
How many lessons did you take?
Price per lesson:
Mini Review:

E.g. Mine would be

Name of instructor/School: Rob Reed Motorcycle training
Overall Rating: 9/ 10
Mini Review: Very friendly guy. Very useful and patient. Helped turn me from an overly cocky 50cc rider into a more sensible rider capable of passing my test. Had a nice selection of new bikes to choose from.

If there are any more obvious categories to add to a mini review then tell me and i'll edit this OP.

Remember to be broad enough with your location that people in future will be able to find your review and it will help them.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Name of instructor/School: Red Driving School

Overall Rating: 6/10

Mini Review: The quality of the teaching was good and they usually use pretty easy to drive hatchbacks, Fiestas and the like. They're pretty pricey compared to other schools though though, you'd certainly be able to get cheaper lessons elsewhere. I also got the feeling they tried to squeeze as much money out of me as they could. There was quite a few times when I felt confident and capable of doing certain manoeuvres but he had me doing it over and over again over for the full lesson, rather than moving onto other things and progressing quicker towards the test. You could argue that the practise was good but at the time I didn't think it was necessary.
Reply 2
Name of instructor/School: Lightning Motorcycle Training
Overall Rating: 9/10

Mini Review: I did the DAS course, it was 5 days and I went from knowing nothing about motorbikes to being fully qualified and unrestricted in that time. The course was well laid out, the instructors were helpful and very knowledgeable. We were taken on good routes which included a wide variety of country, main and residential roads to give you lots of experience before your test. I passed first time and it was very good value to money.

I can't remember my driving instructor as it was 10 years ago, but I would say stay clear of the big firms like Red, The AA, RAC etc as they are very hit and miss. A local, independent is normally cheaper and can be better. The best thing to do is get a recommendation from someone at school or on the interwebs.
(edited 10 years ago)
Name of instructor/School: Lisa watts
Mini Review: Very patient given i kept going into motorbike mode, never shouted and always turned up on time. Learnt in a mini. She told me to go for my test as soon as she thought i was ready and was right, i didn't think she was holding me back or stalling.
Reply 4
Original post by Maccees
Name of instructor/School: Red Driving School

Mini Review: The quality of the teaching was good and they usually use pretty easy to drive hatchbacks, Fiestas and the like. They're pretty pricey compared to other schools though though, you'd certainly be able to get cheaper lessons elsewhere. I also got the feeling they tried to squeeze as much money out of me as they could. There was quite a few times when I felt confident and capable of doing certain manoeuvres but he had me doing it over and over again over for the full lesson, rather than moving onto other things and progressing quicker towards the test. You could argue that the practise was good but at the time I didn't think it was necessary.

Awesome. Do you remember the name of the instructor as well?

People form the same school could teach differently.
Reply 5
Original post by Motorbiker
Awesome. Do you remember the name of the instructor as well?

People form the same school could teach differently.

Nah I was trying to think of his name but I can't remember. I do remember his breath stunk though. And he looked like a Barry. They aren't really descriptives you can give to the person on the phone when you're booking lessons though...
Reply 6
Name of instructor/School: Carl's Motorcycle Training
Overall Rating: 8/10
Mini Review: Friendly, Cheap and Free pick up/drop off within local area. CBT can be a bit rushed as you only have a certain amount of time to get the slow skills bit, however (6 years ago) you can return again to finish it for free. Lessons however, you tended to get value for money, time wise and you normally only go out in pairs. Will normally be offered a drink +/-biscuit as well :tongue:

Name of instructor/School:Access 2 Bikes
Mini Review: Quite Expensive and you can't choose how many hours. They do however have time slots at the test centre which is v. useful. Groups tend to be bigger.
Name of instructor/School: Lynn Logan School of Motoring
Overall Rating: 10/10
Mini Review: Lynn is fantastic! as I'm dyspraxic I was always worried learning to drive, and learning manual really worried me. She put me at ease straight away, and now I'm just waiting to get a test! She's really great and I'll miss our lessons when I pass, I'd recommend her to anyone in the area. I take my lessons in her DS3 which is a great car to drive. She's patient, as was needed with me and we take 2 hour lessons as standard.
Name of instructor/School: Des Oliver
Mini Review: great instructor, learn in a ford fiesta, both me and my sister have learnt with him and passed first time, explains everything fully, always patient and a really friendly guy. Only downside was he could be late at times but only by 10 minutes tops and would always give an explanation
Name of instructor/School: Rupert from 1st class driving school
Overall Rating: 10 /10
Mini Review:
Great instructor..very calm, relaxed and funny. Even when I failed my first test was supportive and helped me to pass my second test weeks later. Always on time and reliable, great communication always texted if he was running late. All round fab instructor!
Name of instructor/School: Paul Nelson Driving
Mini Review: A fantastic instructor and my only instructor. Makes you feel at ease and doesn't push you if you haven't quite got the hang of things. I picked up things quite quickly and instead of lingering he made me progress further. Explains everything fully and easily, so you can easily understand everything there is about driving. Helps you with not only the practical side of driving but also the theory which is nice, he helped me pass my first time on my theory and I'm hoping that he will help me pass first time on my practical in a couple of weeks!

Excellent teacher and good value for money, hands down one of the best!
Original post by Sparklees
Mini Review:
Great instructor..very calm, relaxed and funny. Even when I failed my first test was supportive and helped me to pass my second test weeks later. Always on time and reliable, great communication always texted if he was running late. All round fab instructor!

Hey Sparklees, I looked up Rupert on the 1st class driving school website and he is available in my area. Also, he has a TONNE of great reviews and seems really nice in the video. I was wondering, how long is each lesson and how many lessons did you have? I have never driven before, so how many lessons would you recommend I have with Rupert?
Original post by Motorbiker
Idea i've had for a while.

Often on TSR we have people coming on here wanting to know what driving schools are good/bad and some real life stories from those who have been in them. Then they can just use the inbuilt TSR search function on this thread to find local instructors.

I thought it would be awesome to get a thread together where people who have done their test can then come and post and say how their instructor (s) was.

I was thinking something along the lines of categories like...

Name of instructor/School:
Mini Review:

E.g. Mine would be

Name of instructor/School: Rob Reed Motorcycle training
Overall Rating: 9/ 10
Mini Review: Very friendly guy. Very useful and patient. Helped turn me from an overly cocky 50cc rider into a more sensible rider capable of passing my test. Had a nice selection of new bikes to choose from.

If there are any more obvious categories to add to a mini review then tell me and i'll edit this OP.

Remember to be broad enough with your location that people in future will be able to find your review and it will help them.

Maybe you could add how many lessons (hours) you had and how much they cost e.g:
No. of lessons:
Total Price:
Original post by MightyFavour
Maybe you could add how many lessons (hours) you had and how much they cost e.g:
No. of lessons:
Total Price:

Awesome plan. I'll edit the op later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey Sparklees, I looked up Rupert on the 1st class driving school website and he is available in my area. Also, he has a TONNE of great reviews and seems really nice in the video. I was wondering, how long is each lesson and how many lessons did you have? I have never driven before, so how many lessons would you recommend I have with Rupert?

Hi I had 2 months of lessons with him (2 hours a week...sometimes 4 hours a week if I missed a week due to my schedule)..I also had about the same amount built up in previous lessons with previous rubbish instructors. I think if I had all my lessons with Rupert it would have taken about 3 months. Price is also really good especially for a London instructor. He doesn't waste time so as long as you are learning at a good steady pace I don't think it should take long...but it's hard to tell though as we all learn at different rates. You could always book 1 lesson and see how it goes so you can decide whether or not to go with him x
Hi I had 2 months of lessons with him (2 hours a week...sometimes 4 hours a week if I missed a week due to my schedule)..

So 1 lesson is 2 hours long?
So 1 lesson is 2 hours long?

1 lesson is 1 hour but I used book two 1 hour lessons back to back.
Mini Review:

I may look into him as a driving instructor. Even his video has a calming way of dealing with things :smile:
Name of instructor/School: John Brittle Driving School
No of Lessons: 45 odd
Price: £20 per lesson
Mini Review: Excellent instructor, funny guy too. Was very thorough in teaching and accommodating of mistakes. Never really got angry or aggressive. Didn't mind I took so many lessons and made sure we went over varied things each lesson. Also knew some less mundane driving routes. Overall an excellent instructor, would recommend over the usual AA kak.
Reply 19
Name of instructor/School: Dean/Bill Plant
How many lessons did you take? 26ish
Price per lesson: £22
Mini Review: Great teacher, put you at ease chatting about random things,never got angry at me stalling or small mistakes. helping you do maneuvers the right technique etc would recommend to anybody.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending