Help with what colours to wear for work? Watch

qr95
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi can anyone give me suggestions what colours to wear...I don't want black and white! It's for work in finance. Shirt colour/tie colour/trouser colour. And if you can show picture but not necessary. Thanks.
txo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you want to wear a suit, or just shirt and trouser?

If you're going for suits, I'd definitely recommend a classic black one, dark grey, and dark navy (looks great on anyone).

If you don't want to buy suits, buy black, grey and navy trousers - any dark colour will do really. You can wear any colour shirt (grey, white, dark green, pale blue, navy, black, wine red, pink, striped etc.) And a black blazer just for days you want to look a bit smarter, it goes with any colour shirt. You don't always have to wear a tie, but again go for any colour complimenting the shirt you're wearing that day. I wouldn't recommend any patterned ones, just solid colours.
qr95
Rep:
?
(Original post by txo)

If you're going for suits, I'd definitely recommend a classic black one, dark grey, and dark navy (looks great on anyone).

If you don't want to buy suits, buy black, grey and navy trousers - any dark colour will do really. You can wear any colour shirt (grey, white, dark green, pale blue, navy, black, wine red, pink, striped etc.) And a black blazer just for days you want to look a bit smarter, it goes with any colour shirt. You don't always have to wear a tie, but again go for any colour complimenting the shirt you're wearing that day. I wouldn't recommend any patterned ones, just solid colours.
Thanks for the idea...I like the sound of navy. Say I get navy trouser what is a good combination of shirt and tie colour. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
txo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by qr95)
Thanks for the idea...I like the sound of navy. Say I get navy trouser what is a good combination of shirt and tie colour. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pale blue shirt and a skinny black or navy tie is the perfect combination. Or a bright red tie even. But you could also wear navy trousers with a white shirt, a cream/beige shirt, a dark wine coloured shirt. I'd recommend just buying 20 or so different coloured shirts and seeing what works together. They have really cheap ones in H&M and Uniqlo. I also like Next - they have a really good colour selection in mens shirts.
Ripper-Roo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
navy, black isn't such a bad colour for formal wear, it depends on the cut though.
qr95
Rep:
?
Thanks!
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by txo)

For a professional (non-media) work environment, just no to the above.

Never ever ever wear a black suit to work, unless you are a waiter, an undertaker or a bank robber.

The other things you can only do if it's within the company dress code. There's a good chance that mix and match isn't. It may not seem like a big deal at home, but unless it specifies casual; you can stick out really easily.

"Business casual" for men generally means suit with no tie.

"Casual" means trousers, shirt, jacket - not shorts and a banana suit.

You cannot wear any colour shirt without looking like a total tool. The shirt should be lighter than the suit. White, blues (including stripes and small gingham) are almost always ok. Pink and purple can be ok if you know what you are doing - but are usually the preserve of estate agents and mobile phone salesmen. Anything dark colour will make you look like a nightclub-owner/gangster wannabe.

The tie should contrast to the shirt- not compliment it. If you have a patterned shirt - make sure the tie isn't the same kind (i.e. no stripes with stripes) and that the colours don't match. Solid ties can look like "power ties" and a bit old-fashioned - but there's nothing actually wrong with it - although I would avoid bright red.

Don't wear a pocket square unless you are over 25, or have an enormous level of pre-existing swag. If you do, it's an idea if the colours but not the pattern have some kind of synchronicity with the tie.

Avoid flashy cuff links until you are in the swing of things - better yet, don't wear french cuffs. Don't wear a silly watch, don't wear a belt and make sure you have clean black shoes with black socks.

That's how you dress for a professional office.
Clip
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by qr95)
Hi can anyone give me suggestions what colours to wear...I don't want black and white! It's for work in finance. Shirt colour/tie colour/trouser colour. And if you can show picture but not necessary. Thanks.
There isn't a huge latitude with colours without risking looking silly. Brown suits can be done - but it often implies a lot of money being spent.

If you want to look different - try a nice three-piece in a dark navy. White shirt with some fine blue stripes or pinpoints. Whatever tie suits - if you have an old school or a alumni tie that's a starting point. Otherwise, club stripes in almost any colour you like. Then if you must, must, experiment with white pocket squares until you think you look like Cary Grant.
qr95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Clip)
There isn't a huge latitude with colours without risking looking silly. Brown suits can be done - but it often implies a lot of money being spent.

If you want to look different - try a nice three-piece in a dark navy. White shirt with some fine blue stripes or pinpoints. Whatever tie suits - if you have an old school or a alumni tie that's a starting point. Otherwise, club stripes in almost any colour you like. Then if you must, must, experiment with white pocket squares until you think you look like Cary Grant.
Haha...Thanks I think im going for navy blue suit ! I'd rep you but say prsom

Posted from TSR Mobile
qr95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Clip)
For a professional (non-media) work environment, just no to the above.

Never ever ever wear a black suit to work, unless you are a waiter, an undertaker or a bank robber.

The other things you can only do if it's within the company dress code. There's a good chance that mix and match isn't. It may not seem like a big deal at home, but unless it specifies casual; you can stick out really easily.

"Business casual" for men generally means suit with no tie.

"Casual" means trousers, shirt, jacket - not shorts and a banana suit.

You cannot wear any colour shirt without looking like a total tool. The shirt should be lighter than the suit. White, blues (including stripes and small gingham) are almost always ok. Pink and purple can be ok if you know what you are doing - but are usually the preserve of estate agents and mobile phone salesmen. Anything dark colour will make you look like a nightclub-owner/gangster wannabe.

The tie should contrast to the shirt- not compliment it. If you have a patterned shirt - make sure the tie isn't the same kind (i.e. no stripes with stripes) and that the colours don't match. Solid ties can look like "power ties" and a bit old-fashioned - but there's nothing actually wrong with it - although I would avoid bright red.

Don't wear a pocket square unless you are over 25, or have an enormous level of pre-existing swag. If you do, it's an idea if the colours but not the pattern have some kind of synchronicity with the tie.

Avoid flashy cuff links until you are in the swing of things - better yet, don't wear french cuffs. Don't wear a silly watch, don't wear a belt and make sure you have clean black shoes with black socks.

That's how you dress for a professional office.
Love this made me laugh...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nurein
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wear grey color or navy blue that would be really looking cool for your complexion.
qr95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nurein)
Wear grey color or navy blue that would be really looking cool for your complexion.
My skin complexion? If so how do you know lol.
qr95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Clip)

For dress down Friday is it safest just to wear a shirt and trouser? I wasn't told anything specific though...
Clip
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by qr95)
For dress down Friday is it safest just to wear a shirt and trouser? I wasn't told anything specific though...
I don't know exactly what kind of work you do, and it will depend on the workplace. Unfortnately for men, Dress Down Friday usually = Business Casual which = suit no tie or trousers/shirt/no tie. And this usually also means "Keep a tie in the office just in case you have to meet someone".

Just keep your tie in your pocket and see what everyone else wears and adjust accordingly next week.
qr95
Rep:
?
(Original post by Clip)
I don't know exactly what kind of work you do, and it will depend on the workplace. Unfortnately for men, Dress Down Friday usually = Business Casual which = suit no tie or trousers/shirt/no tie. And this usually also means "Keep a tie in the office just in case you have to meet someone".

Just keep your tie in your pocket and see what everyone else wears and adjust accordingly next week.
Thanks im a total noob..
go2thezoo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
grey shirt and trousers
kevinkrieger
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Blue is the most stable color which is also the color of truth, confidence and wisdom.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (67)
9.9%
No I am happy with my course choice (383)
56.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.18%

Watched Threads