This discussion is closed.
Fleffzilla
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
Right, this is a long way off for me, but does anyone know the qualifications needed to become a fully fledged forensic scientist? Or in fact, any other details that may be relevant for that line of work?
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Fleff)
Right, this is a long way off for me, but does anyone know the qualifications needed to become a fully fledged forensic scientist? Or in fact, any other details that may be relevant for that line of work?
To start with you need some good science A levels then a degree in chemistry, some universities even do a forensic or analytical chemistry degree, then i think you can apply for a job, in New Scientist they're sometimes advertised, have a look, it'll tell you what qualifications you need.
Fleffzilla
Rep:
?
(Original post by cobra01977)
To start with you need some good science A levels then a degree in chemistry, some universities even do a forensic or analytical chemistry degree, then i think you can apply for a job, in New Scientist they're sometimes advertised, have a look, it'll tell you what qualifications you need.
I thought it was chemistry, and yet some research I did suggested you could get a job with a degree in biology, or something related... note the confusion.
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Fleff)
I thought it was chemistry, and yet some research I did suggested you could get a job with a degree in biology, or something related... note the confusion.
this might be of use http://www.forensic-science-society....forcareer.html

or look on the ucas website at the course finder thingy, that'll tell you about different degrees which you might be interested in
Fleffzilla
Rep:
?
(Original post by cobra01977)
this might be of use http://www.forensic-science-society....forcareer.html

or look on the ucas website at the course finder thingy, that'll tell you about different degrees which you might be interested in
thanks
Fluffy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Biochem, genetics and analytical chem seem to be the best bets for a first degree....

Most of the more respected forensics courses are post-graduate as I'm sure you've guessed from the FSS website...
hihihihi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i dont know what it fully entails, but i assume pathology may be similar. something liek a biochemistry degree maybe?

you can do pathology modules in natural sciences eg @ Cambridge

try http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk if you're interested in hospital related stuff like pathology, pharmacists
Fluffy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by hihihihi)
i dont know what it fully entails, but i assume pathology may be similar. something liek a biochemistry degree maybe?

you can do pathology modules in natural sciences eg @ Cambridge

try http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk if you're interested in hospital related stuff like pathology, pharmacists
From what I remember, to go into forensic pathology you need a medicine degree....
Fleffzilla
Rep:
?
I've had a wee look at some websites, it seems that to go into forensic pathology you need to have a medical degree, but for ordinary forensic science it says something along the lines of "GCSE's - good pass in English, science subject (biology/chemistry), sometimes Maths... At least one A-level in a science subject (biology/chemistry) and a good first degree in a science subject"..... or something like that anyway. Thankfully biology's my best subject...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (260)
48.33%
No (60)
11.15%
I'm not old enough (218)
40.52%

Watched Threads