PsychStudent1996
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
In the section B part, we study The Great Gatsby, The Secret Scripture, and three Robert Browning poems: Porphyria's Lover, The Laboratory, and My Last Duchess. For Gatsby and Secret Scripture I am fine, but when writing about the poetry, do you have to write about more than one to get high grades?
liamm2195
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not necessarily, marks aren't divided between each of the texts. You can write more about one text than the others, it doesn't matter. However you must make some reference to the poetry to show you've studied it.
PsychStudent1996
Rep:
?
(Original post by liamm2195)
Not necessarily, marks aren't divided between each of the texts. You can write more about one text than the others, it doesn't matter. However you must make some reference to the poetry to show you've studied it.
Thanks for your reply, what I meant was, is that I know one of the Browning poems really well: "Porphyria's Lover", but I don't know the others as well; so could I just write about Porphyria's Lover?
liamm2195
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ohhh, sorry No, you have to show you have knowledge of all the poems I think. Some centres are really lazy and run out of time and they just teach classes one of the poems. The exam board wants to catch out these centres, you should write about Porphyria's Lover although you have to show that you have some knowledge of the others.

If you have any other questions feel free to message me. I also do A-level English Literature.
PsychStudent1996
Rep:
?
(Original post by liamm2195)
Ohhh, sorry No, you have to show you have knowledge of all the poems I think. Some centres are really lazy and run out of time and they just teach classes one of the poems. The exam board wants to catch out these centres, you should write about Porphyria's Lover although you have to show that you have some knowledge of the others.

If you have any other questions feel free to message me. I also do A-level English Literature.
Ah thank you very much for your help!
bautsio
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PsychStudent1996)
Thanks for your reply, what I meant was, is that I know one of the Browning poems really well: "Porphyria's Lover", but I don't know the others as well; so could I just write about Porphyria's Lover?

You would be very restricted if you were to just talk about one poem, but you just need to show an understanding of the collection of poetry you're studying. Just today I read an example Section B answer of a paper that ended up getting full marks and she literally wrote a 6 line paragraph of Browning that wasn't very strong with the mention of 3 of his poems at most. However because the other two texts were very strongly wrote about, she managed to do very very well. So just an understanding is key with some handy quotes and interpretations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.75%
No (314)
70.25%

Watched Threads