The Student Room Group

Is an iPad useful during lectures?

Hi was wondering whether it would be worth getting an iPad for uni - are there any apps which can let me annotate PDF's and PPT's using a stylus so I can draw diagrams etc..?

I don't want to have to write pages and pages of notes or do tons of printing and then annotate on top of that… so anyone who uses one please do comment! Thanks.
Reply 1
Yes, to watch Netflix during lectures.
Reply 2
Original post by Ruffiio
Yes, to watch Netflix during lectures.

Lol luckily I am planning to use it for something more productive - but who knows!
Original post by naman
Hi was wondering whether it would be worth getting an iPad for uni - are there any apps which can let me annotate PDF's and PPT's using a stylus so I can draw diagrams etc..?

I don't want to have to write pages and pages of notes or do tons of printing and then annotate on top of that… so anyone who uses one please do comment! Thanks.

As a distraction, yes.

I bought an iPad to help me with studying and have found that it's not really that useful, apart from giving you a distraction when you're too tired/bored/lazy to pay attention.

I think the best thing to do is to just print off the lecture slides, take them to the lecture, and annotate them by pen - that way you've got no distraction, you don't have to write down everything in the lecture since they're on your lecture slide printout, and you still get down the information you want to put down via annotations.
not really
Reply 5
Original post by MalteseMalteser
As a distraction, yes.

I bought an iPad to help me with studying and have found that it's not really that useful, apart from giving you a distraction when you're too tired/bored/lazy to pay attention.

I think the best thing to do is to just print off the lecture slides, take them to the lecture, and annotate them by pen - that way you've got no distraction, you don't have to write down everything in the lecture since they're on your lecture slide printout, and you still get down the information you want to put down via annotations.

the distraction things isn't really a concern for me… are there any apps out there which will let you annotate (without being a nuisance!) and are user friendly?
Original post by naman
the distraction things isn't really a concern for me… are there any apps out there which will let you annotate (without being a nuisance!) and are user friendly?

I really wouldn't know, I'm afraid. I know there's a few Microsoft Office apps like Word and (I think) PowerPoint but I don't know how much of a nuisance they'd be for you and what you're looking for. As I said, it's only become a distraction for me which is why I stick to good ol' pen and paper.
Reply 7
a lot do use them or just laptops, i find its easier just to make notes on paper
Original post by naman

Hi

I use notability. You can make notes (typed or handwritten) on the iPad and even record the lecture simultaneously

Also you can save PDFs on it and annotate/highlight them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by number23
Hi

I use notability. You can make notes (typed or handwritten) on the iPad and even record the lecture simultaneously

Also you can save PDFs on it and annotate/highlight them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

^^This

Notability is amazing (but get a stylus).
Notability is a really good app (and not too expensive).

But tbh I think old fashioned pen and paper is much easier.

I think a tablet (I would definitely recommend an iPad) would be useful to write your notes up after lectures.

Also a tablet would be useful if you need to look something up quickly in the library/a common room/reading room/area where you are working/etc without having to go and find a computer.
Reply 11
Yeah I agree,MIT can be a distraction but it can also be super helpful. I have an iPad now and I use it for past papers (I have all the PDF downloaded to my iBooks) and it's really handy to browse, etc without having to go to a computer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending