Approximately how many points/paragraphs are needed for an A2 English Lit essay? Watch

CurlyC
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
:confused: How many ideas/points are we expected to cover in an A2 English lit essay?
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Raffa1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CurlyC)
:confused: How many ideas/points are we expected to cover in an A2 English lit essay?
Hi there,

I'm doing A2 English lit with OCR. When I write essays I focus on hitting all the assessment objectives rather than making loads of points that have no meaning.
AO1 - creativity, grammar etc.
AO2 - analysis (structure, language, form)
AO3 - links and interpretations
AO4 - context
(You can find this all on the exam board's website)
It's a closed text exam so you have to be selective about the quotes you learn - my teacher always says you need to pick quotes that work really hard for you i.e. that cover multiple themes and assessment objectives.

Also past examiner reports have said that people often forget about close analysis and identifying literary devices as well as commenting on form e.g. poetry vs. morality play - depending on the texts you've studied.

The exam is split into section A and section B for OCR. Each question is worth 30 marks and you do one question in each section (so 1 hour per question). I recommend doing practice essays and seeing how much you can write in that time, then go through it and see if you've covered all the assessment objectives. If not, then go through and see where you might have missed opportunities to discuss AO2/3/4.

If you're not with OCR then my answer might not be much help, but I hope it's useful nonetheless!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish