Can someone explain just how important my coursework will prove to be?

Watch
DebkoX
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm ashamed to admit it but, I've never really asked this, but here goes.
Example, I got A* in my English Language coursework, 80/80! Once I got my overall result, it stood at A.
Recently, I did two science ISAs, one at A* and the other A. Just how much of an advantage have I got? I'm scared for science, but I'm incredibly glad I've got it. I've got 9 science exams, basically all of them. So how crucial are these ISA results going to be?
Add!ction
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The exams will be more important and will carry the most weight.
maarg13
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I did AQA last year and the ISA's made up 25% of my final grade. Although the exams do carry more 'importance' to have the security of an A* for a part of the final grade is really good especially as it relieves a little pressure- so well done!

I know exams differ a lot from ISA's, especially in terms of the help you receive, but just think that if you are capable of such high marks already that you can achieve highly as well in the exams. Just take each exam at a time and learn the content; you already know how to apply it judging by your ISA.

Best of luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Feraligatr
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Your ISA carries out 25% in Sciences.
Like Addiction said, the exams carry more weight in Science, they carry 75% of the weight split into 3 exams.
Your ISA can act as a backup plan just in case if u flop in one exam. So you're at some advantage. Just focus on your exam though

I've got a A* in Bio ISA and B in Physics ISA this year
Last year, I got an A* in Chem ISA
Greatthinker
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
One second. An isa carries 50 marks while each written test carries 60 so the total is 230 so how is 50 marks 25%?
Feraligatr
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Greatthinker)
One second. An isa carries 50 marks while each written test carries 60 so the total is 230 so how is 50 marks 25%?
UMS Marks
Greatthinker
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What is UMS and how is it calculated. Hypothetically, So if I get 84% in an Isa and get 88% in each paper (raw marks) but in UMS terms I got 89% and 94% on each paper uw would have got an A*
Feraligatr
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
UMS - Uniform Mark Scale

Its there to make everything fair between different series.

Lets say I get 48/60 in a Science Unit in June 2012 but my paper was hard though. Another student does the same unit in June 2013 but gets 53/60 but his paper is easier than mine. We'll still get similiar UMS if not the same.

In your example, you'd probably get an A*.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (200)
43.67%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (51)
11.14%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.64%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.4%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (47)
10.26%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise