The Student Room Group

Any A-levels you regret picking?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Fine Art for me!
'Art is easy,' They said :mad:

The struggle is real right now
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
ahh that's a shame :frown: I really struggled with writing essays personally, so I had to basically keep attacking my teachers with piles of my practice essays each time I saw them :lol: they were nice enough to help me out all the time after school, they even had after school sessions to help us out without being annoyed about it at all which was really helpful - and I really liked ethics but I really didn't like philosophy some of the time; probably because I don't enjoy the religious side of things which were mostly included in that part of the course

Haha well you sound like a dedicated student, writing philosophy practice essays was such a chore for me. My subject was straight philosophy...I feel like I would have actually enjoyed the ethics part too, so that's a shame. Aw it seems like you had really good teachers :redface:
Original post by georose
Haha well you sound like a dedicated student, writing philosophy practice essays was such a chore for me. My subject was straight philosophy...I feel like I would have actually enjoyed the ethics part too, so that's a shame. Aw it seems like you had really good teachers :redface:

aha I was lucky because they were genuinely the nicest and the most effective teachers I've had - they weren't grumpy or boring or anything like that, apparently one of the students in the class saw one of them (as I have a teacher for philo and another for ethics) at a night club in town :lol: - and it's funny I should say that because apparently another person saw my chemistry teacher (as I was saying I really regretted chemistry) in another night club and she (the teacher) ordered them to leave because they were under-age, haha
Reply 43
I kind of regret Sociology, I mean I enjoy the lessons but I find it pretty hard and it's not even a very respected subject so I just feel like it's not worth the amount of effort I have to put into it to do well. I wish I'd have picked Politics instead as I find it interesting but oh well
Original post by Sunny_Smiles
aha I was lucky because they were genuinely the nicest and the most effective teachers I've had - they weren't grumpy or boring or anything like that, apparently one of the students in the class saw one of them (as I have a teacher for philo and another for ethics) at a night club in town :lol: - and it's funny I should say that because apparently another person saw my chemistry teacher (as I was saying I really regretted chemistry) in another night club and she (the teacher) ordered them to leave because they were under-age, haha

Haha I've never seen one of my teachers in a night club! Although one of the tutors for my uni course occasionally holds his tutorials in a local pub so that's something. :tongue: Your chemistry teacher ruins all the fun!
Reply 45
English Lang & lit combined - worst subject ever. So so boring due to the teachers not even being in lesson and not being bothered to even mark work we've done or give us feed back on our coursework!
Worst. Lesson. Ever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dolphins321
How come?
Why did you pick it in the first place?

History. Got an A at GCSE but looking back it's probably because we did it in modules. don't enjoy it at all... looks like i'm going to fail.
Biology too because i picked it as i thought it would look good. not if i fail it...
Original post by inloveinlondon
Spanish - My gosh. I was not prewarned that in order to get a good grade I would have to trade in my social life, success in other subjects and my soul.

Story of my life. I do French and Spanish, so it's twice as bad. Saying that, I absolutely adore my languages, and I couldn't see myself not doing them. I'd rather have no social life and still study my languages :smile:
I regret taking History at A-Level. I chose history because it's a 'good' subject, and I wanted to extend my historical knowledge, having not taken the subject at GCSE. I hated every minute of it. The teachers were god damn awful. God knows how I managed to get a C, since I received absolutely no help from teachers on how to improve my essays. I dropped it after AS.
Original post by Handles
Ah, "sad" teachers: the bane of my life. I was going to drop Product Design in favour of English Literature or Language, but I feared my teacher would be sad as I got an A* at GCSE and he'd reacted similarly to someone who dropped it in favour of RS. She also got an A* at GCSE.

My Sixth Form also sort of scared people out of dropping subjects in the first few weeks. The first two weeks were a "transition period," in which we were allowed to drop subjects in favour of others, but they said, "We really recommend that you don't, because you'll have missed out on a lot of work and will find it harder." Not the case at all - we barely learnt anything in the first few weeks, and in some subjects it was just completing basically irrelevant "transition work." Plus, my friend who dropped Product Design in favour of RS is now achieving the best grades in her class.

What do you need help with? :smile:

Wait which exam board did you use?
Sociology. Dropped it at AS. Too wordy for my liking.
History, because I hate EDEXEL !!!!

And Performing Arts
Regret taking Biology and wish school had told me that there was an AS option for ICT, otherwise I wouldn't have done AS German - I'm stuck with 2 A levels which is a bummer but oh well - gonna work hard for them both and the AS will be fine :smile:
Taking further maths will forever be the biggest regret in my life cant wait to drop it a few weeks!!!
Original post by Daryaa1
English Lang & lit combined - worst subject ever. So so boring due to the teachers not even being in lesson and not being bothered to even mark work we've done or give us feed back on our coursework!
Worst. Lesson. Ever.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh how is English Lit at A level? :smile:
I loved it GCSE and did well but decided not to take it for A level because my teacher for English was awful and I didn't want to be stuck with her again for A level :redface:
Geography, it is a load of *******s.

I thought it would've been interesting, but stupid me chose the subject although i didn't even do it at gcse
Original post by Emma:-)
Maths
I was always good at it at, and was expected a B at gcse. I also enjoyed it. Because i was good at it, my parents pushed me into taking it at -level.
Boy that was a mistake. I got U in the first unit (as did quite a few others). I (and the others who got u) got put moved to additional maths instead. But we where left to get on with it nd work through the text book at one end of the room, while the other half of the room got taught a-level maths. Then the exam was the hardest that the head of maths had ever seen. So i ended up with a U in that as well.

This with me exactly. Though To be fair, my teacher did give me a warning that maths a-level would be hard.
Original post by Ndella
Fine ****ing Art. A complete waste of time when I could be working on my other subjects. I've always been told I'm talented at drawing and I absolutely love to do it, but as an A Level subject, it's made me resent what I love doing.

I did Art at GCSE and found it very time consuming, so I feel you're pain. I can't imagine what it would be like at A-level.
Original post by SeaweedBrain
I don't struggle with the concepts so much as the application and understanding what the question asks. C2 is the one I do best in, though that's not saying much.

Are you saying that C2 is easy? I think it's really hard, does that mean I'll do really badly if I take A2?
Chemistry without a doubt. I wish I did Early Modern History instead because I would actually enjoy learning all the content. I only chose Chemistry because I wanted to do medicine (well, my parents wanted me to) but I don't even want to do that at university anymore.

The concepts are extremely difficult to get your head around, and for me it takes 2 hours to understand one part of a module whereas others understand it in a heartbeat. It is not only time consuming, but I feel so sad walking into my classroom knowing I'll be unable to answer any questions correctly! Don't choose chemistry !!
(edited 9 years ago)
Probably computing, I thought it was going to be fun while it wasn't. Wish I took biology

Quick Reply

Latest