Masters application references?? Watch

lobloblob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Sooo im completely confused, while using UKPASS to apply to Oxford Brookes its only given the option to directly attach the reference or send them along later, both of which involve me being in possession of the reference.

Is it okay to ask my referees (both lecturers at my uni) to send me the references so I can attach them? Is that normal? Just seems bizarre to me as I could easily manipulate it, lol.

Replies would REALLY be appreciated as I want to get these applications in soon. Thanks!! x
ellie.rew
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lobloblob)
Sooo im completely confused, while using UKPASS to apply to Oxford Brookes its only given the option to directly attach the reference or send them along later, both of which involve me being in possession of the reference.

Is it okay to ask my referees (both lecturers at my uni) to send me the references so I can attach them? Is that normal? Just seems bizarre to me as I could easily manipulate it, lol.

Replies would REALLY be appreciated as I want to get these applications in soon. Thanks!! x
It's not unheard of no, but it's hardly normal. Be careful though, I know referees that have refused point blank to submit this way.

My advice; get in touch with your referees and with the admissions office ASAP, explain the situation and ask everyone what's the best way to proceed. Good luck!
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lobloblob)
Is it okay to ask my referees (both lecturers at my uni) to send me the references so I can attach them? Is that normal?
It's not unknown. In your place, I'd contact your referees, explain the process and ask them if they mind providing references that way. If they don't mind, you have no problem and you can just follow the required process.

If they do mind, you can contact the Admissions Office of Oxford Brookes and ask them for an alternative process so that your referees can submit direct to someone at the uni. It probably won't be the first time they've had to deal with that situaiton - as noted above, some academics don't like students to read their references.

But the bottom line is that you won't know unless you ask. Before you go looking for solutons, first define the problem
beautifulbigmacs
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was applying to a number of places so it made more sense to ask for my references to be handed directly to me so that I could just send them off at will. It can be done like this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (333)
15.61%
The paper was reasonable (1164)
54.57%
Not feeling great about that exam... (460)
21.57%
It was TERRIBLE (176)
8.25%

Watched Threads