Amir96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just thought I'd start a thread about the upcoming WJEC GL2 exam, discussion about geology seems to be scarce on this website.
Nervous?
Tutankhamun
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm resitting this exam which I sat last year and shamefully got an E. But I'm much stronger at map work and mineral identification so I am fairly confident. How are you feeling about it?
taelarc96
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Heya
I'm sitting the exam for the first time, nervous because it's something I haven't experienced before but also excited and fairly confident about it..I'm fine with rocks, minerals and fossils (although I kind of have a grudge against fossils- I wanted to be a palaeontologist until I started this course and now I absolutely cannot stand fossils!! Oh well at least we don't have to memorize as much as OCR do mwahahaha)
Map-work is not my strong point. However I've tried my absolute best with that, and luckily when there's a cross section it's super easy to pick up marks though so I'm not too worried
All in all, generally excited ^^
Amir96
Rep:
?
Well, I'm hoping we don't get an overly difficult cross section (of the past papers, some were easy and some were really hard...). Also, hoping that the samples are distinctive and not easily mistaken for other similar rocks/minerals. Other than that, not too stressed.
Tutankhamun
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've come across an absolute *BLEEP* of a map that requires you to draw the cross section, and I have a simple (and very stupid) question. When the beds are dipping to the right, with your protractor do you position it horizontally to find the dip, which I've been doing, or do you position it vertically? The only reason I ask is because in this particular cross section part of Rock Unit F is drawn in and it doesn't match up to the rest of the beds at all.
Amir96
Rep:
?
The protractor is supposed to lie horizontal with the curved edge facing you. Perhaps it didn't match up because the question paper was scaled weird when printing?
Tutankhamun
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, that was mixed. Some questions were incredibly easy, and some were very difficult (for me at least). Overall I think I did okay, somewhere in the C-B range.
How did you guys find it?
taelarc96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I found it ok until I came out of the exam and realised the majority of what I did was wrong. I ran out of time so missed out on about roughly 5 marks I think. Due to the pressure I just couldn't think straight resulting in the weirdest looking cross-section known to man and I managed to write that the metamorphic rock was marble when clearly it was metaquartzite- I also drew the orthoquartzite as igneous (interlocking crystals) - and mislabelled the teeth and sockets on the fossil. Yep, not feeling too spectacular now :/ I have literally no idea where my brain was. Luckily past papers for GL1 and GL3 suggest I am in the B-A range for those so hopefully my overall grade will not be horrific..?
Tutankhamun
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
GL1 and GL3 aren't too difficult, so you should be fine. GL1 is also only an hour long but holds a lot of marks so that should give you a chance to bump your grade up. It's a shame you ran out of time, because the last question was about how sedimentary structures can be used to indicate current flow which was an easy four marks for me as soon as I saw the photograph of some ripple marks.
I originally put marble but I changed it later on to metaquartzite. It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking Rock C was limestone so C1 must be marble, a few of my friends did that by accident too. I didn't get that the metaquartzite was highly cemented though and I put that it was dominated by crystals which I'm unsure of.

I basically just guessed the answers to the fault questions. I've been taught it over and over but I'll never quite grasp it.

Yeah, I'm feeling less and less confident about this the more I think about it.
taelarc96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=the last question was about how sedimentary structures can be used to indicate current flow which was an easy four marks for me as soon as I saw the photograph of some ripple marks.
.[/QUOTE]

I briefly attempted this one in the last 2 minutes, drew two pictures (one of a turbidity current and another of the flute casts) -I picked the flue casts- and wrote two sentences quickly before turning back to another question and running out of time. I can't even remember what I wrote for the majority of that paper.....aaaaaaah the pressure! I knew that the rock was definitely a type of sandstone, dominated by quartz and feldspar, alas, my brain just couldn't form the words orthoquartzite and metaquartzite until I walked out of the room..*sigh* How did the other parts go for you? Did you identify the other specimen as dolerite?
taelarc96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wow I completely messed that quote up xD
Amir96
Rep:
?
(Original post by taelarc96)
I also drew the orthoquartzite as igneous (interlocking crystals)
Ugh I did that too. My sample looked pretty crystalline, I poured water or it and it didn't seep through. I'd like to think it was weakly metamorphosed by the intrusion (in my very idealistic and hopeful mind...)

The map went alright for me though. There were no monstrously difficult questions, but on the first question it kinda annoyed me that it was asking if the dolerite was equigranular instead of equicrystalline and grain size instead of crystal size. At first I thought they were trying to catch me out by describing it as sedimentary.

All in all I think it went well, can't complain
Tutankhamun
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I briefly attempted this one in the last 2 minutes, drew two pictures (one of a turbidity current and another of the flute casts) -I picked the flue casts- and wrote two sentences quickly before turning back to another question and running out of time. I can't even remember what I wrote for the majority of that paper.....aaaaaaah the pressure! I knew that the rock was definitely a type of sandstone, dominated by quartz and feldspar, alas, my brain just couldn't form the words orthoquartzite and metaquartzite until I walked out of the room..*sigh* How did the other parts go for you? Did you identify the other specimen as dolerite?
Yep. My teacher taught me that if there's a dyke or a sill it's almost always dolerite, so that was my answer straight away. I looked at the specimen to see the grain size but that was pretty simple.

Would either of you mind telling me what you put for the fault questions and your thought processes for them?
taelarc96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My specimen of dolerite looked porphyritic, ugh, and the orthoquartzite looked crystalline for me too. Fault and fold questions are generally bad for me no matter what, I'm looking to Amir for answers on that one! Haha yep I almost always guess the answers for them too.
golbom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I found it ok until I came out of the exam and realised the majority of what I did was wrong. I ran out of time so missed out on about roughly 5 marks I think. Due to the pressure I just couldn't think straight resulting in the weirdest looking cross-section known to man and I managed to write that the metamorphic rock was marble when clearly it was metaquartzite- I also drew the orthoquartzite as igneous (interlocking crystals) - and mislabelled the teeth and sockets on the fossil. Yep, not feeling too spectacular now :/ I have literally no idea where my brain was. Luckily past papers for GL1 and GL3 suggest I am in the B-A range for those so hopefully my overall grade will not be horrific..?
I literally made all of these mistakes aswell lol.
For the mapwork question, on the far right I drew a vertical pluton rather than a horizontal unconformity, anyone know if that's right or wrong?
taelarc96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by golbom)
I literally made all of these mistakes aswell lol.
For the mapwork question, on the far right I drew a vertical pluton rather than a horizontal unconformity, anyone know if that's right or wrong?
I also drew the pluton on the far right but can't remember if I drew the unconformity as horizontal (mind has gone blank) I also made a mistake with the dyke in that I drew it as diagonal, not vertical :/
Plutons / batholiths are vertical with a base that goes 'outwards' at the bottom (I am so bad at describing sorry) and I forgot to draw it like that. *sigh*

How do I remember all of this now but not in the exam?!
taelarc96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Does anyone know if it's possible to re-sit just this unit of the AS? (As opposed to having to retake the whole AS) and if we have to pay when it's just one unit?
golbom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah I know what you mean about it going outward, can't remember if I did it like that.
Oh well, gl2 can't be worth too much right? Hopefully gl1 and 3 will be easier
Amir96
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tutankhamun)
Would either of you mind telling me what you put for the fault questions and your thought processes for them?
My memory is getting increasingly fuzzy about this- I remember leaving these questions until I had drawn the cross section, it made it easier to visualise. It was a normal fault because the foot wall (East side) had been up thrown. Therefore rocks would be younger on the west side, because they had been down thrown and so were made level with older rocks on the east side, which were initially deeper down (law of superposition) - that's what I put anyway.

Does anyone know if it's possible to re-sit just this unit of the AS? (As opposed to having to retake the whole AS) and if we have to pay when it's just one unit?
pretty sure you will be able to resit just GL2 as one unit, some people from the year above were doing it at the same time as us. Not sure about how much it will cost
taelarc96
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah let's hope! Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How are your mock exams going?

Love them - Feeling positive (13)
7.1%
They've been reasonable (76)
41.53%
Not feeling great... (47)
25.68%
They are TERRIBLE! (47)