Minni04
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hiya!

I wanted to know if anyone knows any sites for understanding regression (multiple and simple). I'm finding it all very confusing. I have a book by Hogg & Tanis, but am still a little confused by Regression and MLE, as well as ANOVA. That whole side of statistics is rather confusing for me.

Also, I don't understand how:

1) The arithmetic mean is the MLE of the unknown mean/mew of the normal pdf. How do I prove that or is there proof of that anywhere?

2) And why the arithmetic mean could be a sufficient statistic for the unknown mean and nor do I understand how it's distribution could be that of X(bar)~N(mew, sigma squared/n). Also, if i'm not mistaken, the pdf could be used to show that the arithmetic mean is the MLE of unknown mew, but is there a proof of that? If not, could someone show me how that could be the case?

I have an exam at the beginning of June, so need to get the understanding in there pretty quickly. Also! Hypothesis testing has me confused and how that fits in to all this regression stuff.
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Minni04)
1) The arithmetic mean is the MLE of the unknown mean/mu of the normal pdf. How do I prove that or is there proof of that anywhere?

2) And why the arithmetic mean could be a sufficient statistic for the unknown mean and nor do I understand how it's distribution could be that of X(bar)~N(mu, sigma squared/n). Also, if i'm not mistaken, the pdf could be used to show that the arithmetic mean is the MLE of unknown mu, but is there a proof of that? If not, could someone show me how that could be the case?
It took me a moment to realise that by "mew" you meant "mu"… it distracted me so much that I amended it in my quotation of you.

Yes. Have you found the MLE of the unknown mean? (by finding the likelihood or log-likelihood, and differentiating to maximise it - this is how the PDF can be used to show that the arithmetic mean is the MLE of unknown mu)

A statistic is sufficient if the PDF factorises into a term with the statistic, and a term without. What is the PDF?

Do you know how to find the distribution of the sum of normal random variables, and how to find the distribution of 1/n times that sum?
Minni04
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Smaug123)
It took me a moment to realise that by "mew" you meant "mu"… it distracted me so much that I amended it in my quotation of you.

Yes. Have you found the MLE of the unknown mean? (by finding the likelihood or log-likelihood, and differentiating to maximise it - this is how the PDF can be used to show that the arithmetic mean is the MLE of unknown mu)

A statistic is sufficient if the PDF factorises into a term with the statistic, and a term without. What is the PDF?

Do you know how to find the distribution of the sum of normal random variables, and how to find the distribution of 1/n times that sum?
Hahahah i'm so sorry.. I've never ever seen it written down, so thought I'd spell it out phonetically.

I've managed to find out the MLE of the unknown mean.. At least I think I did. It follows a normal distribution.

Could you just explain the log part again please? How would i find the log likelihood function?

Is the factorization theorem needed for the sufficient statistic then?

"Do you know how to find the distribution of the sum of normal random variables, and how to find the distribution of 1/n times that sum" Unfortunately no, I don't
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Minni04)
I've managed to find out the MLE of the unknown mean.. At least I think I did. It follows a normal distribution.
Yes, it does.

Could you just explain the log part again please? How would i find the log likelihood function?
The log-likelihood is the log of the likelihood. It's usually easier to calculate with the log-likelihood (eg. for differentiation purposes) - because log is strictly increasing, it preserves turning points and so on, so maximising log-likelihood is equivalent to maximising likelihood. Presumably you differentiated something in order to find the MLE?

Is the factorization theorem needed for the sufficient statistic then?
It's not *needed*, but it makes it a lot easier for finding sufficient statistics/proving that statistics are sufficient…

"Do you know how to find the distribution of the sum of normal random variables, and how to find the distribution of 1/n times that sum" Unfortunately no, I don't
The sum of random normal iid variables is normal, for instance?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (64)
14.88%
I'm not sure (16)
3.72%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (145)
33.72%
I have already dropped out (7)
1.63%
I'm not a current university student (198)
46.05%

Watched Threads