The Student Room Group

Idea: First car guide Article: Planning thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ClamShell
Thanks. Try and get the rover version of the civic as it looks nicer than the newer ones. In my opinion

I have to agree with this.
Reply 21
Original post by Motorbiker
What do you suggest JC.?

You're a regular member so your opinion is very useful.

At least with the form we get reasonable information to give them a recommendation.

And the article guide could help those that have no idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't say I had a solution! :wink:

I'd prefer to have a discussion with an individual rather than arbitrary recommendations.

I do think it important that people put up what they want out of a car rather than simply "what should I buy".

No point saying "I want a small, cheap, economical car" and then getting a load of reccomendations for the usual crap hatchbacks i.e KA / Yaris / Aygo etc... if some vital piece of the puzzle has been left out.
i.e "I also have a drum kit and a massive dog to transport every day".
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forms.php?do=form&fid=88

Very rough first draft. Atm it creates thread in a moderators development area. You should be able to click the "Preview" button at the end and get a look though.

General feedback on layout/questions/stuff i missed/Stuff that sounds stupid would all be appreciated.

Original post by JC.
I didn't say I had a solution! :wink:

I'd prefer to have a discussion with an individual rather than arbitrary recommendations.

I do think it important that people put up what they want out of a car rather than simply "what should I buy".

No point saying "I want a small, cheap, economical car" and then getting a load of reccomendations for the usual crap hatchbacks i.e KA / Yaris / Aygo etc... if some vital piece of the puzzle has been left out.
i.e "I also have a drum kit and a massive dog to transport every day".

At least with this form there is a quesiton of "specific uses of the car?" so this should come up then.

Want to have a quick look at my Form i've made and let me know how bad it is?
Reply 23
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forms.php?do=form&fid=88

At least with this form there is a quesiton of "specific uses of the car?" so this should come up then.

Want to have a quick look at my Form i've made and let me know how bad it is?

Go for it.

I just don't see how you're going to get people to use it given that there's already a "first car thread" (which is actually pretty pointless since all circumstances are unique) that people ignore anyway.
How are you going to make them use a template?
Original post by JC.
Go for it.

I just don't see how you're going to get people to use it given that there's already a "first car thread" (which is actually pretty pointless since all circumstances are unique) that people ignore anyway.
How are you going to make them use a template?

I think the reason people don't use the first car thread is because it's useless. Often questions in there get ignored anyway.

If we had a Sticky appropriately labelled
"Want to buy your first car? READ HERE FOR HELP" with the Form in the OP and eventually the wiki article there/linked from there then it could help.

Also, if people start a thread without then the useful regulars can point them in the direction of the form. :smile:
I think the reason people don't use the first car thread is because it's useless. Often questions in there get ignored anyway.

If we had a Sticky appropriately labelled
"Want to buy your first car? READ HERE FOR HELP" with the Form in the OP and eventually the wiki article there/linked from there then it could help.

Also, if people start a thread without then the useful regulars can point them in the direction of the form. :smile:

I think the makes of cars should be a drop down list instead as not everyone will be well versed with car makes and models.

Instead of asking whether fuel consumption is important you should be asking what realistically is their budget to run and maintain the car.

As most people will be youngish I doubt big boot should even be a criteria. I think it might be more pertinent to ask whether someone is mechanically inclined and whether they are willing to maintain their own cars.

What else you could add :-

As majority of buyers will be buying something used, could include in the guide how to evaluate a car, things like service history, vehicle record, some basic mechanical conditions and finally how to get a once-over by a mechanic.

You could also include a bit on test-driving a car, what to do during the test drive, what to look out for etc.
Original post by Alfissti
I think the makes of cars should be a drop down list instead as not everyone will be well versed with car makes and models.

Instead of asking whether fuel consumption is important you should be asking what realistically is their budget to run and maintain the car.

As most people will be youngish I doubt big boot should even be a criteria. I think it might be more pertinent to ask whether someone is mechanically inclined and whether they are willing to maintain their own cars.

As majority of buyers will be buying something used, could include in the guide how to evaluate a car, things like service history, vehicle record, some basic mechanical conditions and finally how to get a once-over by a mechanic.

You could also include a bit on test-driving a car, what to do during the test drive, what to look out for etc.

Some good points.

Although, just because they are young, doesn't meant they don't need a big boot. I do agree however that it should not be a criteria.

My other query is do you mean have a drop down with every make? As there are dozens (quite possibly hundreds) of makes, never mind the thousands of models.
Original post by Alfissti

The only problem is the drop down list would be gigantic.

Hmmm, True but people may not know exactly.

I can add in that question.

And thanks for the article ideas. :biggrin:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2664013

First thread created using my new form. Unfortunately i forgot to tick the button stopping guests and people not signed in from using it so it's an unregistered person.

I'm still to add in a question on whether they want to work on their own car but other feedback will be appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest