The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher English 2014 Discussion + Predictions

Hi,

Does anyone have any predictions for the exam this year?

I'm doing Othello + Antony and Cleopatra for Shakespeare and the film question.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I'm doing advanced English this year as well. I'm doing Donne for the essay. Bricking it for this exam! Is it just me, or do you feel massively under-prepared? I haven't learned any quotations or analysis or even know my poems yet... FML! *Cries*
Reply 2
Im still trying to finish of my folio redrafts... Whoops
Reply 3
Original post by Dylankj
Hey, I'm doing advanced English this year as well. I'm doing Donne for the essay. Bricking it for this exam! Is it just me, or do you feel massively under-prepared? I haven't learned any quotations or analysis or even know my poems yet... FML! *Cries*

Not just you.

I'm feeling the exact same way, ahh thinking about how close it is makes me want to cry. I have modern studies tomorrow and then a day before englih. Going to have to cram everything in, don't know how I will manage that :/

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by rahgirl11
Not just you.

I'm feeling the exact same way, ahh thinking about how close it is makes me want to cry. I have modern studies tomorrow and then a day before englih. Going to have to cram everything in, don't know how I will manage that :/

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck to you too! Do you need it for your offers or anything?
Reply 5
I feel so underprepared but I usually tend to whip something pretty good out in practices and prelims...
I'm doing Muir and Stoppard (probably focusing on Stoppard) and I feel like I just want to get it over with XD
Reply 6
Original post by Dylankj
Good luck to you too! Do you need it for your offers or anything?

Not sure yet, haven't quite heard back from everything. Not so far and hopefully not at all.

How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Ambry
I feel so underprepared but I usually tend to whip something pretty good out in practices and prelims...
I'm doing Muir and Stoppard (probably focusing on Stoppard) and I feel like I just want to get it over with XD

Feeling the same way.

I'm not sure if I'll do well, I guess it depends on how well the question fits to what I've been looking over. Hopefully it isn't too bad though. Yeah, I can't wait until it's done with.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Not sure yet, haven't quite heard back from everything. Not so far and hopefully not at all.

How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good then. I don't need it either, got an unconditional for my first choice - Newcastle University. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Ambry

I feel the exact same. It just feels so unorganised compared to higher and I'm not even sure what I'm doing. Like there was a structure for close reading and essays last year but this year we're just told to write whatever in any old way. I really want an A since I've never had anything less for English but I'm doubting that now. Oh, stressful times... *goes to get a significant mass of chocolate*
Reply 10
Feeling the same way.

I'm not sure if I'll do well, I guess it depends on how well the question fits to what I've been looking over. Hopefully it isn't too bad though. Yeah, I can't wait until it's done with.

Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the end of the day if we have studied our stuff well enough then we should be able to do okay! :biggrin: I'm sure it'll be fine.

Original post by Dylankj
I feel the exact same. It just feels so unorganised compared to higher and I'm not even sure what I'm doing. Like there was a structure for close reading and essays last year but this year we're just told to write whatever in any old way. I really want an A since I've never had anything less for English but I'm doubting that now. Oh, stressful times... *goes to get a significant mass of chocolate*

I know what you mean. It is different and I think it has prepared me well for university, so I'm glad I took it. I quite like the unstructured nature of essays, I just kind of go with it and things usually turn out quite well. Just go over your stuff and hopefully you get an A! Only 65% percent that you need to get <3
Reply 11
Is anyone doing textual analysis btw?
I used to be so freaked out about it but I usually get about 27 out of 30 for timed ones I do in class, I would recommend anyone doing it to avoid PROSE FICTION like the plague, most people do it and I personally think it is the hardest one in the paper. It is difficult to squeeze in a second reading of it because they can be quite long, and in some pieces it is really easy to miss the deeper meaning in it. I think that non-fiction and drama are pretty good ones to do, they are the least attempted ones on the paper and they are not too bad generally. Drama is quite fast to read!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Ambry
At the end of the day if we have studied our stuff well enough then we should be able to do okay! :biggrin: I'm sure it'll be fine.

I know what you mean. It is different and I think it has prepared me well for university, so I'm glad I took it. I quite like the unstructured nature of essays, I just kind of go with it and things usually turn out quite well. Just go over your stuff and hopefully you get an A! Only 65% percent that you need to get <3

Thank you! Hopefully I'll get a B or at least a pass. Is it not 70% for an A though?
Reply 13
Original post by Ambry
Is anyone doing textual analysis btw?
I used to be so freaked out about it but I usually get about 27 out of 30 for timed ones I do in class, I would recommend anyone doing it to avoid PROSE FICTION like the plague, most people do it and I personally think it is the hardest one in the paper. It is difficult to squeeze in a second reading of it because they can be quite long, and in some pieces it is really easy to miss the deeper meaning in it. I think that non-fiction and drama are pretty good ones to do, they are the least attempted ones on the paper and they are not too bad generally. Drama is quite fast to read!

Sorry to keep quoting you, but by non-fiction do you mean poetry?
Reply 14
Original post by Dylankj
Thank you! Hopefully I'll get a B or at least a pass. Is it not 70% for an A though?

No 65! I was quite shocked but I think it is quite a hard course so they set the A grade quite low.
Reply 15
Original post by Dylankj
Sorry to keep quoting you, but by non-fiction do you mean poetry?

Non fiction is just non fiction, it is usually like a newspaper article or travel writing. Poetry is pretty good too but sometimes they can be a bit tough!
I'm doing Keats in the exam, we did Shakespeare as well but I don't think I'll have time to cover it. This subject is so unpredictable, I've seen creative pieces which were amazing and they got 16s, average ones which got 26...I have no idea what I will get in August.
Reply 17
Original post by ChrissyH
I'm doing Keats in the exam, we did Shakespeare as well but I don't think I'll have time to cover it. This subject is so unpredictable, I've seen creative pieces which were amazing and they got 16s, average ones which got 26...I have no idea what I will get in August.

Creative is seriously unpredictable, I had to option of it and textual analysis and I eventually decided not to do creative because I have heard of so many people writing just outstanding, amazing pieces of work and they ended up getting low scores. Creative writing is so subjective, one marker could give a piece 27 out of 30 when another could just not really get it and score it a 15...
Original post by Ambry
Creative is seriously unpredictable, I had to option of it and textual analysis and I eventually decided not to do creative because I have heard of so many people writing just outstanding, amazing pieces of work and they ended up getting low scores. Creative writing is so subjective, one marker could give a piece 27 out of 30 when another could just not really get it and score it a 15...

Textual analysis looks truly awful however, which swayed my entire class. :tongue:
Reply 19
Original post by ChrissyH
Textual analysis looks truly awful however, which swayed my entire class. :tongue:

It is AWFUL at first... But once you get used to it it isn't too bad!
Hey, atleast you only have to do a 1hr 30 minutes exam... I have a 3 hour one ;(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending