Delciate
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey all,

so i've been going over macroeconomics in preparation for the exams coming up soon (10 more days! *faints*)

I'm a bit confused over the difference between cyclical and classical unemployment. The way my book explains it, it seems to be that cyclical unemployment is a form of classical unemployment..?

Is that right or am I missing something?

Thanks!
LukeisKwl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Delciate)
Hey all,

so i've been going over macroeconomics in preparation for the exams coming up soon (10 more days! *faints*)

I'm a bit confused over the difference between cyclical and classical unemployment. The way my book explains it, it seems to be that cyclical unemployment is a form of classical unemployment..?

Is that right or am I missing something?

Thanks!
There are 4 main types of unemployment
- Cyclical (demand deficient)
- Frictional (between jobs)
- Seasonal (ice cream man)
- Structural (sectors being cut out from the economy such as the miners in britain by Margaret Thatcher)

I think you're getting confused about using the Keynesian graph to represent a decrease in AD. A demand deficit can be brought about by a recession & deflation/disinflation, therefore the government would use fiscal or monetary policies to increase AD and correct the issue.

Dunno if this helped...
srs23
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes you're right, cyclical is a type of classical unemployment which takes place at equilibrium
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (48)
37.5%
No (66)
51.56%
I don't know (14)
10.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed