The Student Room Group

PGCE: What is the maximum maintenance loan you can get from student finance

Not grant - but LOAN.
Reply 1
I got about 5k if I recall correctly.
Reply 2
Original post by Shelly_x
I got about 5k if I recall correctly.

Okay what did they use to calculate your entitlement?

Was it a case of your family earnings (like at University)
Reply 3
Original post by xjay1234
Okay what did they use to calculate your entitlement?

Was it a case of your family earnings (like at University)

Yeah they will use your parents income unless you can prove you've lived independently for at least three years or you're over 25.
Reply 4
Yeah they will use your parents income unless you can prove you've lived independently for at least three years or you're over 25.

Okay if that is the case I will only get £5
Reply 5
Not grant - but LOAN.

Give this a go? https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
It works out so that your grant and loan will play against each other. So even if your parents are high earners, you will still get the same amount as the opposite, but your money will lie more in loans than in grants... I think. P:
Reply 6
Original post by awe
Give this a go? https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator
It works out so that your grant and loan will play against each other. So even if your parents are high earners, you will still get the same amount as the opposite, but your money will lie more in loans than in grants... I think. P:

Funny cos during my first year at Uni I got like 2K for maintenance loan

2nd year was not as high and 3rd year was not as much...

I would have thought PGCE would be different in how money you need works outs.

BTW have you done a PGCE? Obviously Shelly has
Reply 7

No, it should be very similar. And remember depending on your subject and your degree mark, you may be entitled to a very sizeable gov. grant. E.G I'll likely get 4,500. A first in Maths can get someone 20k.

I'm doing a School Direct PGCE route this year, just finishing up my degree.
Reply 8

I got more this year than I did when I was at uni, no idea why. You should get about 3k as standard.
Reply 9
Original post by awe
No, it should be very similar. And remember depending on your subject and your degree mark, you may be entitled to a very sizeable gov. grant. E.G I'll likely get 4,500. A first in Maths can get someone 20k.

I'm doing a School Direct PGCE route this year, just finishing up my degree.

I got a 2:2 in Drama haha

I know my subject is not a core important subject so I wouldn't get the perks of somebody who has a degree in Maths or Science etc etc.

I want 5k @ least! including any grants.

But I am going to start my PGCE application for 2015 entry.
Reply 10
I got more this year than I did when I was at uni, no idea why. You should get about 3k as standard.

So what was the PGCE course like?

The work load? Assignment? etc etc

WHat was your subject?
Reply 11
So what was the PGCE course like?

The work load? Assignment? etc etc

WHat was your subject?

I'm currently doing a Schools Direct Secondary English course. I also get a PGCE.

It is intense. Go look at the 'PGCE = Never felt so tired or stressed' thread at the top of this forum. You'll get the idea :wink: You need to be seriously dedicated and I've doubted whether I'm cut out for this profession many many times. There are good days and there are terrible days, you need to be very resilient.

The assignments are mainly based around your teaching practice and are based around you reflecting on certain aspects of it or writing an essay on current educational theories.
Reply 12
I'm currently doing a Schools Direct Secondary English course. I also get a PGCE.

It is intense. Go look at the 'PGCE = Never felt so tired or stressed' thread at the top of this forum. You'll get the idea :wink: You need to be seriously dedicated and I've doubted whether I'm cut out for this profession many many times. There are good days and there are terrible days, you need to be very resilient.

The assignments are mainly based around your teaching practice and are based around you reflecting on certain aspects of it or writing an essay on current educational theories.

Can you give me the link of the PGCE = NEVER FELT SO TIRED OR STRESSED

Well life can be tough @ times I mean my final year @ Uni was tough - just gotta rough things!

I don't mind! Cos once I get that qualification I can look forward to a proper career not messing around with these unskilled jobs I been doing since graduation LOL
Can you give me the link of the PGCE = NEVER FELT SO TIRED OR STRESSED

Well life can be tough @ times I mean my final year @ Uni was tough - just gotta rough things!

I don't mind! Cos once I get that qualification I can look forward to a proper career not messing around with these unskilled jobs I been doing since graduation LOL

Click on the education and teaching forum (the one you posted this in) and it's at the top.
PGCEs are much, much harder and more demanding than 3rd year at uni. You will likely be taking at least two-three hours work home every night and dealing with constant criticism (although it is designed to help obviously). Sometimes it will be amazing and you'll get a class that behaves and others you'll be called names and sworn at.

I am a bit jaded about it at the moment, if you can't tell.
Reply 14
Click on the education and teaching forum (the one you posted this in) and it's at the top.
PGCEs are much, much harder and more demanding than 3rd year at uni. You will likely be taking at least two-three hours work home every night and dealing with constant criticism (although it is designed to help obviously). Sometimes it will be amazing and you'll get a class that behaves and others you'll be called names and sworn at.

I am a bit jaded about it at the moment, if you can't tell.

LOL yeah I am a pretty organised guy so I think I will be fine.

Yeah 3 hours of work home - well just knuckle down get to it no biggie - so long as I am getting fellatio each night all good HAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ^_-

But all jokes a side - I do look forward to it - right now I just enjoy life because I know very well when 2015 September comes it will be no joke :smile:
LOL yeah I am a pretty organised guy so I think I will be fine.

Yeah 3 hours of work home - well just knuckle down get to it no biggie - so long as I am getting fellatio each night all good HAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ^_-

But all jokes a side - I do look forward to it - right now I just enjoy life because I know very well when 2015 September comes it will be no joke :smile:

What the hell?
Original post by swarfliam
What the hell?

Hahaha ha exactly what I thought when reading that last comment lol
Reply 17
Do you apply through Student Finance using your current ART ID and password, or do you have to set up a new one when applying for student loans and bursaries for a PGCE SD (non-salaried) funding?
Original post by mangliss
Do you apply through Student Finance using your current ART ID and password, or do you have to set up a new one when applying for student loans and bursaries for a PGCE SD (non-salaried) funding?

My Student Finance account linked up with my old student loans from 2004-2007, so presumably you will use the same ID. I can't remember if I set up a new account or not, but when I log in I can see all of my old loan information as well as the current details.
Reply 19
Thank you Lynsey!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending