International baccalaureate or A levels Watch

Megan jade
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi I am going to college in September and not sure whether to take A levels or International Baccalaureates any advise please on pros and cons on IBs?
Enigma Machine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Depends on the type of person you are, but generally, I think that IB is better preparation for life as well as university. Would you mind doing maths, a foreign language, and a science if you were, say, a humanities student?
pbunny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I had to make the same decision this year and went with IB. Which you choose honestly depends on your personality, study habits and where you plan to go to university.

Take IB If:

-Your an all rounder, that means you need to be good at English, second languages, sciences, maths, humanities and the arts
-You don't know what you want to study at university. Since you'll be taking six subjects you can easily keep your options open
-Your already an organised student who is disciplined, doing last minute work definitely needs to be avoided whilst doing IB
-You intend to go to university in the US/Canada (as the curriculum is similar to that of school's in the US/Canada (in the sense that you take a wide range of subjects))

Take A levels:

-If you want to go to university in the UK because IB offers are much higher in comparison to that of A levels
-You'd prefer to do only humanities/languages or only maths/sciences or if you want to take all three sciences (not allowed in IB)
-You don't like the thought of doing extra components such as TOK/EE (4000 research essay)/CAS (150 hours of activities)
-You prefer to do last minute study etc.

Pros of IB:

-You'll be more prepared for university
-Probably more rewarding
-You do coursework, so everything doesn't ride on your final exams
-You become a disciplined student with good time management
-CAS will improve your university application
-Internationally recognised programme

Cons of IB:

-Very heavy workload (much much more than A Level)
-Less free time, less free lessons at school (if any)
-Consumes a lot of your times
-You'll be pulling quite a lot of all nighters
-You'll be very stressed most of the time throughout the 2 years
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My friend does IB. It is A LOT more work than A-Levels and I almost did it too but went with A-Levels as I didn't want to have to continue English, or do sciences.

My friend says she loves it and would still pick it if she started over again but she would have picked Spanish over French and at a different school as she has had nothing but trouble from that one (she moved from ours to the other school we are joint with to do it). Pbunny makes some great points.
Alludeen1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
IB is definitely for the all rounded student and as such is ideal for humanity subjects or subjects not based in science/mathematics. A Levels are better options for science students since you can take 4 A levee maths/science a levels but the IB restricts you to 2 sciences and maths at maximum. Also, you have to to the extended essay for IB and other extras, but these give you a better preparation for 'life' in general.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (117)
24.43%
Pop (110)
22.96%
Jazz (22)
4.59%
Classical (25)
5.22%
Hip-Hop (87)
18.16%