The rant of a supermarket cashier ..... Watch

This discussion is closed.
twinkledust
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
i work in a pharmacy and once i had to wrap some old ladies feet in bandage and it was so so foul. it's not even part of my job and my boss made me do it!!!!!!! :eek: i hate it when old men called you "love" or "cheer up love it may never happen"!!!!!!! And public are so bloody rude. so if they are really rude to me then i accidently (of course) drop their change straight across the floor!!!!
cymruambyth
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
Had a lovely Tesco-filled bank holiday today - complaining customers emerged in their droves.
Haahaa! Lovely relaxing day off for me ......... if you can count coursework as relaxing!
Nicci_babe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kingslaw)
Oh, sorry. I have to ask, do you get the same jokes over and over and over again?? We do, and we have to laugh and pretend its funny.
yeah the worst is after u say would u like cashback?
"only if its from u and not my account!!!"
Its never funny!!!!!
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by twinkledust)
i work in a pharmacy and once i had to wrap some old ladies feet in bandage and it was so so foul. it's not even part of my job and my boss made me do it!!!!!!! :eek: i hate it when old men called you "love" or "cheer up love it may never happen"!!!!!!! And public are so bloody rude. so if they are really rude to me then i accidently (of course) drop their change straight across the floor!!!!
i get those sort of people in the doctors where i work... grrr, ill people are really annoying.

i was in my own little world in the card shop the other day (damn i hate having 2 jobs) and an old couple where waiting too be served and the wife went 'she's daydreaming', and the man went 'maybe she's in love' and thn she went 'or both'...i just smiled enigmatically. was actually really cute cos they could have been snotty that i was half asleep...

lou xxx
Nicci_babe
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
i get those sort of people in the doctors where i work... grrr, ill people are really annoying.

i was in my own little world in the card shop the other day (damn i hate having 2 jobs) and an old couple where waiting too be served and the wife went 'she's daydreaming', and the man went 'maybe she's in love' and thn she went 'or both'...i just smiled enigmatically. was actually really cute cos they could have been snotty that i was half asleep...

lou xxx
yeah
i can be writting final clears and some one will say r u writing a love letter i always wink and say yes thn giggle.
cymruambyth
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nicci_babe)
yeah the worst is after u say would u like cashback?
"only if its from u and not my account!!!"
Its never funny!!!!!
God, how many times have I heard that?! Or if you ask if they want help with their packing and they say "no thanks, but don't go too fast!". I had this one woman screm "stop!" at me once. My face has never been so red before ....
s-man
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
the only thing i don't regret from working at tescos was my quality bronze award certificates, thats definately going on my cv
GH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by s-man)
the only thing i don't regret from working at tescos was my quality bronze award certificates, thats definately going on my cv
So you regret all the money you made?
cymruambyth
Rep:
?
What certificate?! I didn't get one. AND I've done silver, nah nah nah nah nah!
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by lou p lou)
but they're nowhere near as the patients at the doctors surgery where i work who are frankly quite abusive sometimes especially if there is no doctor there and they can't get the prescription they want...
Grrr, don't get me started on them! I know it's a doctors' surgery, and I know people are ill, but if they insist on seeing a particular doctor, who is always the most popular one there, who happens to be on holiday this week, and who has already built up a week's worth of appointments for when he gets back, it's not my fault that they can't see him right this minute!

And the people at the college who get arsey with me when I tell them how much their course costs. It's already written in the bloody prospectus, read it before you have a go at me!
GH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
And the people at the college who get arsey with me when I tell them how much their course costs. It's already written in the bloody prospectus, read it before you have a go at me!
Why would they have a go at you?
Tribi18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
This is such a funyn thread - I don't work at supermarkets of anything like that but i definatly see people doing the pointless antecs.. espically the old biddy one and the 'nip and get a pint of milk' one - my mum does, that really annoys too!! lol
Everdawn
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I work at Myer Grace Brothers right, and I get women with children who put their sticky hands over the garments, and Im supposed to stand there and smile?! Its a crime against the poor clothes!
And then i get some stupid people who want me to give them my staff discount, like, if you buy a $500 coat, you pay $500 for it, right!

Ill be clam now.
Emma18
Report 15 years ago
yay!!! its such a relief to know that other people hate customers too!!!! I work in our local co-op!! so i get loads of people commenting on how many times theyve been asked for a dividend card!!! arrrg!!!! 'if i had a pound for every time ive been asked for one of those!!!!!!! ITS NOT FUNNY!!!!! i told this one guy...it had been a long day!!...'and if i had a pound for every time i had to ask that, i owuldnt be working here!!' strange look!!!

I cant believe this!!! do all co-ops have these customers??? i feel so terrible and try not to gag in front of them, but its impossible to smile and laugh without breathing!!!!!

[QUOTE=Homegrownkitten]I used to work in a sh*tty little late night Co-op
nearby. Some of the customers were lovely, but it was the rest who made me want to scream! There were a handful who would absolutly stink, it was so bad that I tried taking shallow breaths, but still gagged. I would wait until they left the shop then I'd get the air freshner out.
/QUOTE]

thankyou for this thread threadstarter¬!!!!! and i comletely agree with all of them!!!!!
sashh
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Don't work in a shop, but worked in the NHS and it sounds so similar.

As a customer the one that anoys me is the people who for some reason are suprised that they have to pay. You know shopping through the till, packing all done the cashire says "that's £22.46 please" and they go "oh" and start frantically looking for a purse or card. They were in a supermarket queue, what did they expect would happen at the end?

BTW I do try to be a good customer. I put items on the conveyor with the heavy stuff like tins the side nearest the cashire and I try to say "no thankyou" And I do appretiate it when people pack for me, or help me pack. I am disabled and some places treat me differently when I am using my walking stick, so when someone says "do I look like I need help?" you could politly point out that there are 5 million disabled people in this country, only 2% use wheelchairs and it is impossible to tell by looking at someone if they need help so you have to ask.

Oh and if any of you work in places with the little bits of paper at the end asking "who served you today?", "was there service .........then little smily faces"

If the cashire is nice (90% of the time) i put yes, they were good and deserve a pay rise. Don't think it does much good but hey I try
Dan_UK
Report 15 years ago
LMAO at this thread !!

The guy that made this thread is brilliant, haha these things that annoy you are exactly the same. I should say I worked at Sainsbury's for about 20 Months and was a cashier and I hated every second.

Something that got me is seeing all these people become a supervisor before me because they are dumbass's who think becoming a supervisor is brilliant life ambitions, when really its Sainsbury's trying to keep staff and get em on full time - all the people I know who have dropped out of college are full time there now. Apparently my customer relations wasn't good enough for supervising - like I care

Another thing that got me was when someone would struggle to get the credit card and nectar/clubcard out, so instead of giving me it one by one they decide to put the credit card in their mouth! get the second card and hand me both!!! uuuugggggggghhhhhhhhh this annoyed me so much seeing their flem on the card!!!!! Like it helps me either? Can I scan two card simultaneously??? IDIOTS!!!!! Just talking about this winds me up!

oooh another one, manage to get a break where theres no queue, next person comes along: 'you look bored, here ill give you something to do' arrrggghhhhh..............

The cashback ones always come up, 'cashback?' 'no ill only spend it' WTF!?!?!!? What else can you do with it! ****!!!!!! And im meant to laugh at that?? after the thousanth time on a Saturday!

I managed to have 6 complaints in my time, as in real complaints that have been 'investigated' - this is a joke. Most the time its where i haven't "asked" to scan their nectar card and debited their account before hand then they say to me 'what about my nectar card?' If it was that important to them you think they'd hand it to me first?? No, they'd rather make a complaint afterwards because i've forgotten to repeat myself one in thousand customers!!

Another complaint came from a woman who had given me 100 vouchers (bought about 5 of the actual items) who was amazed I hadn't taken them off - Sainsbury's allows any voucher to be scanned even if its not be bought. Ahh what a waste of my life, I quit it about a month ago.

Conclusion? Never EVER get a job in a supermarket. The customers are 90% silly old woman who always give you funny looks and the staff who are full time are the dumbest they come.

Dan_UK
Emma18
Report 15 years ago
arrg!!! just remembered!!! also hate the way all the cutomers think you're stupid!!! and work there, not beacause youre saving for uni or whatever but because this is the career path you've chosen!!!!
though, its not as bad at my co-op!! because most of the employees actually go to the local school, (and sixth form college!!!)

has anyone ever had a customer that has made them cry??? i had this elderly couple tell me that my parents mustnt have brought me up properly, as i was so incredibly rude and that i should be ashamed!!!! (i had started on their shopping before the lady before them had removed her fully packed bags from the checkout!!! there was no shopping left over, she just hadnt lifted them up yet!!!)

btw, im not!!! im never rude to the customers...out loud!!!

i just burst into tears and asked my supervisor to take over my till!!! and she threw them out of the store!!!! yay!!! the checkout chicks triumph!!!
GH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Dan_UK)

Another complaint came from a woman who had given me 100 vouchers (bought about 5 of the actual items) who was amazed I hadn't taken them off - Sainsbury's allows any voucher to be scanned even if its not be bought. _UK
How did that work? What did the woman want to achieve?
Dan_UK
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 2776)
How did that work? What did the woman want to achieve?

All gypsys' do it at Sainsbury's come in sped £30 of shopping on say, washing powder then hand me £25 of vouchers that are for crisps. The voucher still scans on the system and reduces the balance - alot of cashiers let em go, I didn't. When I say to her 'you need to buy the item to have it taken off' they get angry and start telling you 'there only 10p' etc but in actaul fact they look like retards in a queue of customers.

When someone did say 'there only 10p' I replied 'they you don't need it taken off, right?' She made a complaint, I was investigated not because I was rude to her in that argument I had won but it was the customers behind that I apparently offended by talking back like that.

Alot of mangers/supervisors think they are great because they got to wonder around while I was sat on a till, they did it on purpose because they knew 'd be going to Uni while they're beginning their 10th year as a checkout supervisor.

Dan_UK
Homegrownkitten
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Emma18)
yay!!! its such a relief to know that other people hate customers too!!!! I work in our local co-op!! so i get loads of people commenting on how many times theyve been asked for a dividend card!!! arrrg!!!! 'if i had a pound for every time ive been asked for one of those!!!!!!! ITS NOT FUNNY!!!!! i told this one guy...it had been a long day!!...'and if i had a pound for every time i had to ask that, i owuldnt be working here!!' strange look!!!
Hey I used to work in a Co-op in Nottm... Which one do you work at? I worked at the one on Carlton Hill!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (163)
47.8%
No (42)
12.32%
I'm not old enough (136)
39.88%

Watched Threads