The rant of a supermarket cashier ..... Watch

This discussion is closed.
cymruambyth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
You gotta hear this!

Today, an old bloke came to my till at work and I was politely packing his bags when he turned to me and said: "Crikey! You've got a lot of spots haven't you?"!

What a complete ******* - I haven't even got that many!
Chocolate_Lover
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
thats is soooo mean that wud have really hurt me even tho im not that spotty im aure your not 2
what a complete ******!!
cymruambyth
Rep:
?
I think older people tend to tell it like it is rather than just think things and say nothing!

It certainly made me feel conscious and I couldn't look anyone in the eye after he'd said it ....!
Chocolate_Lover
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
aww no that must have been well horrible. thankfully i dont work in supermarkets
doesnt he know teenagers have the odd spots.
i et even he had acne when he was younger *******
Chocolate_Lover
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
aww no that must have been well horrible. thankfully i dont work in supermarkets
doesnt he know teenagers have the odd spots.
i bet even he had acne when he was younger!! ******* lol
cymruambyth
Rep:
?
A few months ago when my spots were really bad, another old bloke came to my tilll and said "you wanna get some [insert name of medicine] on those spots, they look terrible!".

So I dropped his bunch of bananas on the floor [accidently of course!]. The dirty ******* didn't even want me to fetch him another bunch! Haahaa!
byb3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by cymruambyth)
You gotta hear this!

Today, an old bloke came to my till at work and I was politely packing his bags when he turned to me and said: "Crikey! You've got a lot of spots haven't you?"!

What a complete ******* - I haven't even got that many!
I think that would make me self-conscious as well. Never mind, just think that you'll be leaving the place one day.

Adam
*Joanna*
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I worked in Woolies for two years, and most of the customers were very nice, and cos it's such a small town, you kinda get to know who they are when they come in every week. But the bad customers are bad, and they can ruin the entire day!

Once at Christmas this really scary looking bloke with a big beard came in with a really disgustingly greasy frying pan, claiming it was broken and demanded a refund. But he didn't have his receipt so since the policy is 'no reciept, no refund', since he could've got it anywhere, I asked Christine what I should do (she'd worked there 30 years, so she knew!). So she very politely said to the man, 'I'm sorry but we can't give you a refund without a receipt. If you bring it back with a receipt we will certainly give you a refund.' To be honest I don't think we even sold those pans. Anyways he kicked up a right fuss, and asked to see the manager, who came and repeated, also very politely what Christine had said. With which the man started shouting and swearing and challenging the manager to a fight outside! He went, but then came back, so we called the police...then a few days later the manager got a Christmas card smeared with something that looked suspiciously brown....Yuk!

There was also one lady who was notoriously rude and snobby, she always wore elbow high gloves and lipstick that covered all the skin around her mouth. (Consider this is a tiny market town in Cumbria, not the Algarve) Once she asked me to get the supervisor, so I said 'I'll go and get Judith', to which she replied, 'oh no, not her, I want to see a more senior supervisor' I think it was over a packet of rubber gloves or something! She got banned in the end!

I also hated it when people brought something to the till, and it didn't come up at the price they expected, so you take them off to have a look at the shelf label etc. Then you realise somebody has accidentally put the item in the wrong place, so it's on a shelf with the wrong label. When you politely point this out, the customer starts ranting about trading standards etc, even thought the label says 'pink tea cup' and they've picked a bloody spoon off the shelf! I'm sorry but it's not my fault if somebody dumps it there and then you go and pick it up before I get a chance to move it, and then don't read the label! Hmph!
Sorry, big rant, but it's nice to know that other people don't like customers either!
crana
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Dan_UK)
All gypsys' do it at Sainsbury's come in sped £30 of shopping on say, washing powder then hand me £25 of vouchers that are for crisps. The voucher still scans on the system and reduces the balance - alot of cashiers let em go, I didn't. When I say to her 'you need to buy the item to have it taken off' they get angry and start telling you 'there only 10p' etc but in actaul fact they look like retards in a queue of customers.
Dan_UK
hey! we always use coupons - at Asda their policy is to take any that scan up to 10%. so we try and use as many as we can. I have to say - if sainsbury's policy is to let people use coupons and you personally decide they shouldn't, that's a bit stupid. and by the way im not a gypsy
riosie
Carl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
In Tesco, you can work on the till for a maximum of 4 hours without a break. So in theory you can work 8-4:15 with only one 30min break, but most manager would give people 2 just to be humane. I wouldn't like working a 8.25hr day with only one break!
You think you have it bad? I'm a waiter in a pub-restaurant, and if I'm on a full day shift I either work 12pm-10pm (if I'm on waiting-on) or 12pm-12am (if I'm on the bar). On a full days shift we get one (paid) half hour break, but we have to pay for our food (approx £5, or just over an hours wages). Some days our breaks are as early as 3pm. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my job, but the hours are long.

And yes, some customers are morons.
pikaboo
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Oh great, I've just applied for a checkout job too!
Saf!
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
well lucky me....i don't work!.......get 20 quid frm my dad every week and probably 30 from the ema next year.........in total that'll be a nice 200 quid in my pocket every month!
DenverDiva
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Danithestudent)
and there was me and one other person to 45 Churchy people and 40 residents as well, all at once!

That was HELL!
No, that was bad management. Two staff to 85 covers is unacceptable for both staff and customers - I wouldn't have complained, I'd have walked out.
Toyosi
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kingslaw)
Oh, sorry. I have to ask, do you get the same jokes over and over and over again?? We do, and we have to laugh and pretend its funny.
OMG YES!!!! I used to work on a farm park and when i tried to sell little bags of animal feed someone (invariably the dad) would say "no thanks, the kids have already had their breakfast". Hilarious I know. Worst thing was though, when someone's kids would wee or be sick on the slide or something and they'd come tell you expecting you to clean up after their 5 year old who's wet himself. So not in the job description.

Totally in agreement with tesco ranting guy bout everything except the worth of tesco clubcards - they rock. We go to Alton Towers for £6 a person and my mum has enough airmiles to go round the world about 3 times.
Flicker
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by cymruambyth)
I've been working on the checkouts in Tesco for nearly a year now and there are SO MANY things that do my head in about bloody awkward customers. So I'm gonna have a huge rant. Any other cashiers (or customers even!) wanna join me?

Ok, here goes. I bloody hate it when:

1. Little old ladies hold the queue up for 5 minutes when they're digging 86p in two-pence pieces out of their little change purses

2. We get it in the neck even when it's stupid customers holding the line up

3. We have to ask the customers 1000000 questions, to all of which the answer is: 'no'. Not 'no thanks'.

4. When we pack the bags for our customers: and then they have the cheek to unpack them and start again, packing it "their way". Why not just do it yourself from the word go?!

5. Pervy old people call you by your first name

6. We have to smile and be polite, even when we get sh*t on!

7. People take ages to find their bloody clubcard - it's WORTHLESS!

8. Couples have tiffs while you're serving them - don't wanna hear it

9. Couples French eachother while you're serving them - don't wanna see it

10. People put their babies/tots on the conveyor belt "cause it's cute". It's bloody dangerous and we'd get sacked/sued if anything happened to them!

11. Lazy families of 4/5 stand over and watch you pack for them

12. People "nip off quickly" for a pint of milk and come back 5 minutes later. Hey presto! - all of their packing is done for them! Magic!

13. People come with like twenty-odd items at the "10 items or under" till. They usually disguise it with a newspaper on top so it's too late to turn them away once you've started

14. Stupid people forget their credit cards - you don't know whether they're gonna run off with their stuff while you call the manager

15. People throw their credit cards/money at u - this really narks me

Ok, that's enough for now. Anyone got any they wanna add?
i used to work on a supermarket deli, i can add a few!

16. when people queue for ages then when they get to you go "erm....ummm...hmm...that? no that...no that! umm... dunno" and you're like "you've been standing there for ages surely you've made up your mind!"

17. old men calling me "love" and "babe"

18. people asking for "100g of ham" and pointing vaguely at the large display then getting annoyed when i ask "which one"

i#m sure there's loads more but i've blocked them from memory!
happydinosaur
Badges: 14
Report 15 years ago
i don't think i shall ever work as a waitress again after the rude and abusive drunk customers i had to serve. There was the whole incident with some guys who had been drinking in the pub all day and then just before the food stopped at 7 they ordered lots of food. When i took this one guy his curry he said "what's this" i told him it was a curry and he responded with "yer i can see its a curry luv but i wanna know what type of curry" and when i told him it was a chicken curry like it said on the menu he got really abusive..ack it is horrible..some people can be so rude. Saying that though i have come across some pretty rude staff too..
sparkly_tiara
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hmm, maybe i shouldn't be reading this thread; i have a job interview with Tescos coming up lol!

Lou
xxx
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (91)
33.96%
No I don't (125)
46.64%
I work during the holidays (52)
19.4%

Watched Threads