Verity96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
The exams are really soon and I'm beginning to panic; I don't really get the part b parts of the questions (I'm taking OCR RS, Philosophy of Religion and Religious Ethics). How much should I be aiming to write? I know you have to do strengths and weaknesses, but the examiner reports say not to list them - is it better to do fewer in greater detail? Also do you have to give a balanced argument or can you just discuss one side? I'd really love to get an A as that's my predicted grade but at the moment I'm averaging a C because my b answers are pulling my grade down. Please help!
Add!ction
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You should aim to write at least a page and it is important to give a balanced argument.
belzwantswood
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Bump
quirksy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
For part Bs, you need to make sure you're sustaining your line of argument, but also showing you understand the opposite side of the argument.

I like to follow this structure, within each paragraph:
1) your point
2) a counter point
3) a counter-counter point, going back to your original argument
4) a one-sentence conclusion

then repeat this for a couple of paragraphs, so you're arguing 2 or 3 main points.

i can post an example if you want, i have a fair few marked part b's where i've got 9 or 10/10.
Qeir
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by quirksy)
For part Bs, you need to make sure you're sustaining your line of argument, but also showing you understand the opposite side of the argument.

I like to follow this structure, within each paragraph:
1) your point
2) a counter point
3) a counter-counter point, going back to your original argument
4) a one-sentence conclusion

then repeat this for a couple of paragraphs, so you're arguing 2 or 3 main points.

i can post an example if you want, i have a fair few marked part b's where i've got 9 or 10/10.
Yes please that would be so helpful!
quirksy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Qeir)
Yes please that would be so helpful!
take a look at my blog here: www.rsisbest.blogspot.co.uk

there's one part b up there which got full marks and I'll be posting more shortly, would you prefer philosophy or ethics?
Qeir
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

there's one part b up there which got full marks and I'll be posting more shortly, would you prefer philosophy or ethics?
Thank you! I would prefer philosophy but either is great.
quirksy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Qeir)
Thank you! I would prefer philosophy but either is great.
I've written a couple of part B's now. One philo, one ethics, and another philo part B plan that I'll write up another time. Hope this helps!
Qeir
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've written a couple of part B's now. One philo, one ethics, and another philo part B plan that I'll write up another time. Hope this helps!
ah brilliant that's just what I needed!
Verity96
Rep:
?

aghh thank you so much this is so helpful!!
Verity96
Rep:
?

There's one there about the 'classical' teleological argument - which parts are included in that? Is it all of it still, or just Aquinas /Paley?
quirksy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Verity96)
There's one there about the 'classical' teleological argument - which parts are included in that? Is it all of it still, or just Aquinas /Paley?
The classical design argument is just Aquinas and Paley. The modern argument would be things like the aesthetic principle, anthropic principle, 'goldilocks zone' etc.

Glad it's helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's worrying you most about starting back at school/college this year?

The potential for Covid to keep disrupting things (109)
14.53%
My mental health (110)
14.67%
Feeling behind academically (142)
18.93%
Making friends/social anxiety (135)
18%
How to organise myself (25)
3.33%
How to revise/study effectively (89)
11.87%
Future career, uni, pathway planning and applications (125)
16.67%
Something else - let us know in the thread (15)
2%

Watched Threads