This discussion is closed.
MichelBraga
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi all,

I received offers from UCL for the MSc in Social and Cultural Anthropology, and KCL for the Arts & Cultural Management MA. Despite the considerable difference in the approach of the two programs, both meet my interest in Cultural Studies.

I managed to summarize the pros and cons:

UCL pros: better academic reputation in UK, more organized, great social scene, accommodation seems better as well (more choices and locations). Cons: concerning this master, it is a little bit too theoretical, and the employability (at first glance) doesn't look good.

KCL pros: better job prospects, worldwide prestige (?), the MA is amazing, and the department (Culture and Creative Industries) is considered one of the best in the world. Cons: disorganized administration, accommodation and social life are much worst compared to UCL, and everyone, for many reasons, seems to hate KCL.

At the moment, for me, I would choose KCL because of their program, but, overall, UCL just seems so much better.

I'm having a tough time, can anyone give me some advice?
NiallD
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by MichelBraga)
Hi all,

I received offers from UCL for the MSc in Social and Cultural Anthropology, and KCL for the Arts & Cultural Management MA. Despite the considerable difference in the approach of the two programs, both meet my interest in Cultural Studies.

UCL pros: better academic reputation in UK, more organized, great social scene, accommodation seems better as well (more choices and locations). Cons: concerning this master, it is a little bit too theoretical, and the employability (at first glance) doesn't look good.

KCL pros: better job prospects, worldwide prestige (?), the MA is amazing, and the department (Culture and Creative Industries) is considered one of the best in the world. Cons: disorganized administration, accommodation and social life are much worst compared to UCL, and everyone, for many reasons, seems to hate KCL.

At the moment, for me, I would choose KCL because of their program, but, overall, UCL just seems so much better.

Really? Everything I've read seems to suggest King's has the better social scene? :confused:

I'd say that UCL definitely has better prestige than KCL but tbh both are widely recognised as excellent universities so I don't think it will make that much of a difference. Most people on here will probably say UCL but seeing as you seem to much prefer the KCL course I'd say go with that, they're both part of UOL so most of the other factors will be negligible
Confusedlegend
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi all,

I think you should go to KCL just for the reason as you listed it can offer better job prospects and that should be your ultimate aim

Posted from TSR Mobile
MichelBraga
Rep:
?
NiallD and Confusedlegend,

Thank you both for the quick response. I prefer the program at KCL, but only because I do not have enough information about the afterlife of an anthropology degree. In terms of which university, I prefer UCL.

NiallD, about social life, my point is that the KCL's campus is divided, so it may not have an university experience like at UCL.

And regarding the accommodation, is there any difference? At KCL, only the SSA seems to be good and worth the value (I would be studying in the Strand). UCL has so many options. I have a friend at UCL (undergraduate) that also pointed out that the accommodation at UCL creates a better social environment than KCL.
NiallD
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
NiallD and Confusedlegend,

Thank you both for the quick response. I prefer the program at KCL, but only because I do not have enough information about the afterlife of an anthropology degree. In terms of which university, I prefer UCL.

NiallD, about social life, my point is that the KCL's campus is divided, so it may not have an university experience like at UCL.

And regarding the accommodation, is there any difference? At KCL, only the SSA seems to be good and worth the value (I would be studying in the Strand). UCL has so many options. I have a friend at UCL (undergraduate) that also pointed out that the accommodation at UCL creates a better social environment than KCL.
Ah I see where you're coming from about the social life. I think that whilst you're right, the divided campuses will stop the uni feeling like the close knit community and there may be less of a university feel than a campus uni, but I think that's the only thing, it shouldn't have too much of an effect on your social life - and from what I've read KCL has a reputation for being the 'fun' one out of the top London unis and is generally considered to have a better social life than UCL/LSE/ICL etc. In terms of accommodation than I agree with you about KCL, I put KCL as my firm but the accomodation is a bit of an issue as all of them have some sort of con and none of them are perfect. I don't know much about the UCL accommodation, there is of course the option for intercollegiate halls though - which are halls incoporating every single London uni. Apparently that's a really good choice for social life, but they are quite expensive and also includes catered accommodation so that might be a downside if you want to cook for yourself.

I get where you're coming from in terms of university vs the course - I kind of had the same thing. My top two choices were KCL and Warwick, I preferred the Warwick course but much preferred KCL as a uni and really wanted to go to uni in London. I went with KCL in the end (so chose uni over course) but I think the difference in the courses was negligible (I loved the KCL course as well) and I decided that I really wanted to go to uni in London and KCL just seemed perfect for me. It will be slightly different for you as your's are both London uni so that takes away the location factor, but good luck with your decision and I'm sure whatever you choose you'll have a great time!
MichelBraga
Rep:
?
(Original post by NiallD)
Ah I see where you're coming from about the social life. I think that whilst you're right, the divided campuses will stop the uni feeling like the close knit community and there may be less of a university feel than a campus uni, but I think that's the only thing, it shouldn't have too much of an effect on your social life - and from what I've read KCL has a reputation for being the 'fun' one out of the top London unis and is generally considered to have a better social life than UCL/LSE/ICL etc. In terms of accommodation than I agree with you about KCL, I put KCL as my firm but the accomodation is a bit of an issue as all of them have some sort of con and none of them are perfect. I don't know much about the UCL accommodation, there is of course the option for intercollegiate halls though - which are halls incoporating every single London uni. Apparently that's a really good choice for social life, but they are quite expensive and also includes catered accommodation so that might be a downside if you want to cook for yourself.

I get where you're coming from in terms of university vs the course - I kind of had the same thing. My top two choices were KCL and Warwick, I preferred the Warwick course but much preferred KCL as a uni and really wanted to go to uni in London. I went with KCL in the end (so chose uni over course) but I think the difference in the courses was negligible (I loved the KCL course as well) and I decided that I really wanted to go to uni in London and KCL just seemed perfect for me. It will be slightly different for you as your's are both London uni so that takes away the location factor, but good luck with your decision and I'm sure whatever you choose you'll have a great time!
Didn't know about KCL being the "fun" one, that's good to hear!

And any suggestions for accommodation? I was thinking of SSA because of the proximity to Strand, but I don't have much idea about the ambiance of any of the accommodations.
r.k.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys,

I got an offer from UCL MA Comparative Business Economics (SSEES) and KCL MSc International Management. I know these are a bit different degrees but both meet my interests.

I believe that UCL has a better reputation and stronger programme. However, KCL programme seems to be very practical. Also I think that UCL degree has a better employment opportunities, is it true? I'm finding it hard to decide what to choose? Maybe somebody has some advice, which is better UCL or KCL?
dawgnut
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
KCL's reputation is not on par with UCL, UCL is one of the most targeted university in the UK.

I guarantee you that the job prospect after the KCL course is not any better than the one offered by UCL, provided that both course falls under the same discipline. Or if you know for a fact that KCL offers much more career service advice, otherwise, it is completely not true.

People say the social life at one London is better than another, those are complete *******s and mostly are generated by people with very biased opinions, it shouldn't factor into your decision, and you can always choose to move into intercollegiate halls which is shared across all Universities of London (excl. Imperial).

The only reason you should choose KCL over UCL is that if the course at KCL is absolutely much better than the one offered at UCL.
MichelBraga
Rep:
?
(Original post by dawgnut)
KCL's reputation is not on par with UCL, UCL is one of the most targeted university in the UK.

I guarantee you that the job prospect after the KCL course is not any better than the one offered by UCL, provided that both course falls under the same discipline. Or if you know for a fact that KCL offers much more career service advice, otherwise, it is completely not true.

People say the social life at one London is better than another, those are complete *******s and mostly are generated by people with very biased opinions, it shouldn't factor into your decision, and you can always choose to move into intercollegiate halls which is shared across all Universities of London (excl. Imperial).

The only reason you should choose KCL over UCL is that if the course at KCL is absolutely much better than the one offered at UCL.
Interesting opinion, I thank you for that.

But concerning the employability, I think you may have made a mistake.

KCL's Department of Culture, Media and Creative Industries is regarded as one of the best in the world, and it is extremely competitive to be accepted (ten applicants for one place).

Department of Anthropology at UCL is also highly respected, but the career prospects cannot be compared with the course at KCL. When I said that both satisfy my interests, I did not mean that they are the same discipline. The course at UCL is a very theoretical one and an one-year master program will not give me much advantage over the majority of the graduates in the area. Remembering also that anthropological career isn't regulated (apart from the academic environment and some government offices)...

About reputation, at least where I live, KCL and UCL have the same weight, but KCL is always remembered as a more difficult uni to enter.
dawgnut
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I had mistaken for the same discipline, but by the sound of it, you had already made up your mind

Good luck
MichelBraga
Rep:
?
(Original post by dawgnut)
I had mistaken for the same discipline, but by the sound of it, you had already made up your mind

Good luck
I'm still not 100% sure, but much more confident about KCL's course.

Feel free to comment if you have any other thoughts! And thank you!
Mariogunder
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’d say KCL’s social life is much better than UCL tbh. I’ve been to both KCL and UCL for undergrad and postgrad and I had much more fun at King’s.

King’s is soooo well regarded internationally. Doing internships in the US and everyone knew about it. Although UCL will probably be the same.

Go for the course you like most, regardless of other peoples opinions and rankings. Both are brilliant.
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This old thread is closed.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (46)
18.47%
Labour (103)
41.37%
Liberal Democrats (50)
20.08%
Green Party (15)
6.02%
Brexit Party (7)
2.81%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.61%
Plaid Cymru (5)
2.01%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)