The Student Room Group

Think I've made a mistake

I applied for my 5 universities, got into 3 of them, rejected by one and I withdrew my interview from one of them because of the distance from home even though I loved the sound of the course. Yesterday I visited London (I've been before) and I love the city so much that I'm regretting not applying for a course there even though it's further away from home than the course I withdrew from. My friend is moving there and I read lots of posts about people doing a similar course to I am but are going to good uni's down South while I'm stuck 40 minutes from home. How can I make myself feel better about staying close to home? I love the course I've firmed and the university but I can't help but feel a little jealous.
Original post by kayleighisonfire
I applied for my 5 universities, got into 3 of them, rejected by one and I withdrew my interview from one of them because of the distance from home even though I loved the sound of the course. Yesterday I visited London (I've been before) and I love the city so much that I'm regretting not applying for a course there even though it's further away from home than the course I withdrew from. My friend is moving there and I read lots of posts about people doing a similar course to I am but are going to good uni's down South while I'm stuck 40 minutes from home. How can I make myself feel better about staying close to home? I love the course I've firmed and the university but I can't help but feel a little jealous.

Console yourself with the thought that by the end of freshers' week, you'll be unable to believe you ever posted this, if you can even remember it, that is.
Reply 2
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Console yourself with the thought that by the end of freshers' week, you'll be unable to believe you ever posted this, if you can even remember it, that is.

You really think? I'm not too sure. I'm nervous about moving out 40 minutes away so I have no idea how I'd cope with being over 2 hours away by train.
You really think? I'm not too sure. I'm nervous about moving out 40 minutes away so I have no idea how I'd cope with being over 2 hours away by train.

People grow up and move on. At different rates, maybe, but when your life is full of exciting new things, you will wonder what you worried about.
Reply 4
You can always go to London in later life (and you'd have way more money to enjoy it with if you did!). I got into a London uni but I decided against it because a friend who was at UCL and my dad, who went to Imperial, both warned me against it. The friend said she felt there was less of a student community because everyone was so spread out, and my dad said I wouldn't be able to afford lots of the things that make living in London so amazing. Plus I would have had to live really far out from the centre. I'm sure you'd have an awesome time there, just as you would anywhere, but it's my personal opinion that you have less of a "studenty" experience if you live in London. And London students seem to struggle more financially than people in other cities (even with their bigger loan [and more debt]).

I live and work in London now, post-uni, and it's fantastic - but I don't at all regret not studying here. It just means I have experience living in more places!

No disrespect to London students by the way, I'm sure everyone's made the right choice for themselves.
Reply 5
P.S. It really doesn't matter that you'll be 40 minutes from home - why does that make a difference once you're there? So long as you're not going home every other weekend, you're still being independent. I was 7 hours from home and it was a right pain in the arse.
Reply 6

I am actually in almost the exact same position, spent Wednesday-Saturday in London and LOVED it, really regretted not applying to a uni in London, especially when I'm still a little unsure about courses, although I am currently on a gap year and have come to the same conclusions about what course is right for me as last year. It is tricky and I spent a good amount of my time in London thinking how exciting it might be to be at uni there, and have actually spent much of today researching doing another undergraduate or postgraduate degree there. I guess, in the end, wherever else you've applied to, you must presumably like the look of it, so you'll still enjoy it there. You can always go to London afterwards. Also, of course (one of the main reasons I eventually chose not to apply to London in the first place), it's gonna be pretty pricey in London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending