The Student Room Group

Placement Panic

Sorry, this will just be me venting some of my worries I have about starting my PGCE in September!

I've confirmed my offer for Primary PGCE at Sheffield Hallam in September. I'm really excited but I'm getting a little bit freaked out (maybe a tad prematurely, I admit) about what schools I will be placed in.

I'm moving up from Southampton and, whilst I've visited Sheffield a fair few times and really liked it, I'm not overly familiar with the area. I know that my placement(s) may not be in Sheffield itself, as I was told this at my interview. This is fair enough but I'm really worried about the transport situation. I have a driving licence but don't have a car and am loathe to get one unless I absolutely have to as I have neither the money nor the inclination to buy a car and fund the cost of running it.

Having to rely on public transport is fine. I do it every day here and the public transport system in Sheffield can't be worse than it is here. However, I am getting stressed because I need to find somewhere to live and am terrified I'll find somewhere in an area that is not linked well to my school etc

I realise that this is something beyond my influence and I certainly don't need to be thinking about it yet, but I'm a massive worryguts and can't help myself! Just needed to vent my stress really.
Reply 1
don't panic! You can maybe get some temporary accommodation until you know where your placements will be. I am sure your uni are supportive with finding accommodation near where your placement is.
I know someone on this terms placement who didn't want to move but was too far to drive so mon-thurs she rents a room in lodgings with someone who works in the school.
Don't panic I am sure it will be work out - you may even meet someone who is placed in the same school who you can share transport with.

Just don't commit yourself to 9 months of accommodation and then realise it is completely impractical for your placement! :wink:

Good luck and best wishes - and congratulations on your place at Sheffield!
Sheffield has a pretty good tram system, as I'm sure you know. Also, you can always ask to have your placements as centrally as possible (for example), they might take it into account, they might not, but it's worth a try!
When assigning placements universities take in to account personal circumstances however not having a car may not be seen as particularly. 'high priority'. They will be familiar with students in this situation and will make sure you are in a placement that you can realistically get to however you may still have a long commute. I expect placements are hard to come by and so the ones in the most convenient location will probably go to those with the highest need (ie disabled students & student parents).

Just remember to be flexible your university will be as accommodating as possible. Why not email them about your concerns? They may have valuable tips and advice because students will have experienced this every year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending