Fear of heights

Watch this thread
Lawrenc spa
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
or those that don't know this is a fear of heights. Any else have this? I hate it because it makes me come across as a pussy. I haven't told any of my friends only my family knows but it means I can't go to any big shopping centres for example I couldn't cross a bridge via walking. Those are the only examples I can think of but it's pretty extreme. I can manage to be on the second floor of a shopping centre but my hands will be in my pockets the whole time I'll be walking on the outside friend on the inside and heart racing. It only came about as I was sectioned I was allowed a day release where we went to bluewater ( I'm sure some have heard of it) and I pretty much had a panic attack on the 2nd floor. Was this a result of me being sectioned? Sure feels like it was. There's certain areas of bluewater I can't go to all together because of the 3 floor shops so instead I avoid the shopping centre all together and will only buy clothes etc online. Anyone else have this fear? How extreme is your fear?
RHyoudon'kno
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lawrenc spa)
or those that don't know this is a fear of heights. Any else have this? I hate it because it makes me come across as a pussy. I haven't told any of my friends only my family knows but it means I can't go to any big shopping centres for example I couldn't cross a bridge via walking. Those are the only examples I can think of but it's pretty extreme. I can manage to be on the second floor of a shopping centre but my hands will be in my pockets the whole time I'll be walking on the outside friend on the inside and heart racing. It only came about as I was sectioned I was allowed a day release where we went to bluewater ( I'm sure some have heard of it) and I pretty much had a panic attack on the 2nd floor. Was this a result of me being sectioned? Sure feels like it was. There's certain areas of bluewater I can't go to all together because of the 3 floor shops so instead I avoid the shopping centre all together and will only buy clothes etc online. Anyone else have this fear? How extreme is your fear?
Take a few steps at a time. Try and increase the level of height you're at until you're reasonably comfortable to reach the next level.
KatsuoK
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
My fear is not as worse, but I think that's because I've managed to control it. On second stories and up escalators (I hate escalators, they're the worst, you're moving, but your not?) I feel this constant sense of unease, especially if they have glass lining the sides instead of wood panels. Why glass?
I remember doing the Nijmegen Marches, with a group of friends/scouts, which consisted of walking 20 miles a day for four consecutive days. They all ended up crying and seeing the medics at least once a day, whereas I didn't feel any pain, no blisters, nothing. I got nicknamed the 'Machine'. When coming back (from Holland), I came off the ferry (that was bad, I couldn't go on deck because it was too far away from the waters surface, and it just messed my system up), and into this tunnel bit.
This tunnel thing was quite wide, and it was about the same way from the ground as a second story floor in a shop, but it had big floor to ceiling windows, and that, in my opinion, was a lot worse that being physically exhausted and socially drained. It made my stomach roll all over the place and I hated it, I put my head down, glasses on, hair obscuring as much as possible so that I had as little peripheral vision as possible.
I think that's because I was caught off guard. And plus the six hour boat journey probably didn't help the situation all that much.
We all have to get used to it. I've been to Bluewater, and I had to stay as far away from the edge as possible, my friends didn't notice, but my mum did when I went with her. That was only because my dad was also following in my footsteps, eyeing the edges nervously. He's 6 foot 7 inches, so he's had to live with height all his life, but for some reason, he's scared more than me.
Don't get me started on those bridge things at train stations where you have to go OVER the tracks...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lawrenc spa
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I felt the need to post on here again as it's still bothering me. It means I don't particularly want to go on holiday even because of the fear of the unknown places I may have to go for example if there was a big height at the airport I'd hate to have virtually a panic attack as soon as I arrive. My favourite shopping centre I don't like going to because one of the shops has a huge height in it for the men's section and I'd rather not be dragged there by a friend or whoever.

Sometimes it can be ok with small heights depend who I'm with really and if I can rely on then.there's a small bridge going into the next town which I haven't even attempted as I don't want to look like a fool getting a quarter of the way over before turning back.
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
This makes me feel sick...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLDYtH1RH-U

Heights are awful.
advent2
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lawrenc spa)
I felt the need to post on here again as it's still bothering me. It means I don't particularly want to go on holiday even because of the fear of the unknown places I may have to go for example if there was a big height at the airport I'd hate to have virtually a panic attack as soon as I arrive. My favourite shopping centre I don't like going to because one of the shops has a huge height in it for the men's section and I'd rather not be dragged there by a friend or whoever.

Sometimes it can be ok with small heights depend who I'm with really and if I can rely on then.there's a small bridge going into the next town which I haven't even attempted as I don't want to look like a fool getting a quarter of the way over before turning back.
I had a fear of heights although it was slightly different to yours. I wouldn't feel nervous walking across footbrigdes for example or being in big shopping centres, I was more scared of the big heights like really tall buildings or fair ground rides.

In 2009 I overcame my fear by doing a 14,000ft tandem skydive and abseiling 150ft down a ventilation shaft for charity. I read a book called 'Fear-the friend of exceptional people' by Geoff Thompson which inspired me to overcome my fears. The book taught me that the only way you can overcome your fears is by confronting them in what psychatrists term 'exposure therapy' hence the events I did for charity. I still have a fear of heights to this day, the only difference being I am able to function with that fear and not let it disable me. The more you learn about fear and the physiological aspects of it, the easier it is to deal with because you understand that it's a natural feeling designed to keep you alive notwithstanding how uncomfortable it feels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (17)
27.87%
As I expected (17)
27.87%
Harder (24)
39.34%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.92%

Watched Threads