The Student Room Group

Forensic Science

Ok, I've always wanted to pursue a career in Forensic Science. I know the jobs are hard to get and all but all I want to know is will a Biochemistry degree be useful in trying to get a job in that background?

I know you can do a straight Forensic Science degree but doesn't Biochemistry cover more academically, including certain aspects in Forensic Science and other subjects like Biology (Genetics) and Chemistry (Organic Compounds)?

Isn't Biochemistry considered a higher academic subject than Forensic Science at University meaning you have more chance of getting a job in Forensic Science being a lab analyst with a Biochemistry degree?

I'm sorry to how confusing this is but are there anny ideas?!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm starting a Forensic Science course in September. I have been told the jobs aren't great, so I was looking out of curiosity to see what's around. I found a fair few jobs in labs (which is what I'd like to do, too) and 99% of them said they require a degree in either Biology, Chemistry or a Forensics course, AS WELL AS experience in an accredited forensic lab. I was torn between a science course or a straight forensics course, but I decided to go for an ACCREDITED forensics course because 1) I think I'll enjoy it more and find it more interesting and 2) it gives you the experience. I don't think either degree would be more beneficial in the long run but I think if you're hoping to become a forensic analyst right after graduation then maybe go for Forensic Science, unless you think you'd prefer Biochemistry!! Good luck!
Original post by Jambooo
Ok, I've always wanted to pursue a career in Forensic Science. I know the jobs are hard to get and all but all I want to know is will a Biochemistry degree be useful in trying to get a job in that background?

I know you can do a straight Forensic Science degree but doesn't Biochemistry cover more academically, including certain aspects in Forensic Science and other subjects like Biology (Genetics) and Chemistry (Organic Compounds)?

Isn't Biochemistry considered a higher academic subject than Forensic Science at University meaning you have more chance of getting a job in Forensic Science being a lab analyst with a Biochemistry degree?

I'm sorry to how confusing this is but are there anny ideas?!

Hey there, I understand where you are coming from! I am a final year studying forensic science at the university of lincoln (applied through clearing).

The course I am doing has covered biology (molecular, genetics etc), chemistry (organic, analytical etc) and anatomy and physiology alongside the typical forensic areas such as anthropology, fire and explosion etc. It is a really good course if you don't know exactly what you want to do afterwards because you could go down the biology/chemistry/forensic route!

It has helped me realise that I am most interested in analytical chemistry, and makes me wonder whether I should have done a chemistry degree (so I would have a better chance at getting chemistry jobs after). But who knows?!

I will say this though, whichever course you choose, try and get as much work experience as possible while you are at university - especially laboratory experience, as you have already realised it is desirable when applying for jobs. But lab experience is extremely difficult to find due to H+S etc... (unless you know someone who works in one - as nowadays it's more WHO you know than WHAT you know). Also get as involved as you can in CV workshops and stuff like that because it really does help when you come to finishing uni.

It is a good idea to do a summer studentship/internship (summer of year 2) or a year in industry to get this experience. I did the Analytical Techniques Summer Studentship funded by the RSC last summer, and other than my degree practicals it is the only laboratory experience I have so far. You have to be quick to apply though as they're competitive.

Try to look at the modules of the courses you are looking at rather than the course names - you then have to make sure you highlight all of the relevant fields in your CV... for example I talk about my course as a 'strongly analytical chemistry based degree' rather than just a 'forensic science degree'... employers don't necessarily know that analytical chemistry is taught in most of my modules.

It is more about what you get out from your degree and how you 'show it off' to employers rather than 'this course is better than that course' - that's what my careers advisor told me anyway :smile:

I hope this helped a little - sorry for the HUGE reply :P

All the best and good luck applying :smile: If you need any more advice just send a MSG! :smile:

P.S. About forensic jobs:
- the forensic science service has shut down as you probably know which makes it even more difficult to get jobs
- I know a couple with 40+ years experience and they were both made redundant by the FSS and only one of them got a job at LGC forensics
- I was told by a forensic scientist in Ireland to look at going into different jobs - i found this heartbreaking but my motto is 'you have to make the most of the cards you have been dealt'...
- Look into working as a SOCO for more ideas :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you! It means a lot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending