I am afraid to banter.

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Because I worry unnecessarily that I might offend people or I care too much about pleasing them to let go and joke around and I think I might be missing out on potential friendships/connections by being so boring and uptight as a result.

How do I stop being such a scardey-cat?

Citizens of TSR: impart your wisdom.

Anon coz I dont want people to know what a pussy Im being lol
ISawBum
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Stop worrying necessarily.
blue n white army
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Because I worry unnecessarily that I might offend people or I care too much about pleasing them to let go and joke around and I think I might be missing out on potential friendships/connections by being so boring and uptight as a result.

Surely as you get to know people more you know what will/won't offend them? Then adjust the banter accordingly.
username1003420
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just make it obvious that you're joking and no one should get offended, simple.
BlindingLight
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Jump on the banter train brah.
cole-slaw
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Just start small, make sure people know you are joking and then build up. Watch people's reactions closely. Figure out how you can make jokes, outrageous comments, take the piss, in such away that people don't take offense and instead find it funny.
addylad
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Why not have a go now? Do your worst bro.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Enlightened_One
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Watch some Dave, home of the witty banter
Anonymous #1
(Original post by addylad)
Why not have a go now? Do your worst bro.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Erm... hmm... ehhh...

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Looks like not being offensive isn't the only thing I need to work on
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Enlightened_One)
Watch some Dave, home of the witty banter
What is Dave?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by cole-slaw)
Just start small, make sure people know you are joking and then build up. Watch people's reactions closely. Figure out how you can make jokes, outrageous comments, take the piss, in such away that people don't take offense and instead find it funny.
Good idea tho wont it look like im seeking a reaction/approval? I feel more under pressure when I watch people for their reactions especially if they don't laugh or see the joke Then I feel a bit stupid in the first place for making it
Treeroy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What is Dave?
It was a joke. Dave is a British TV channel, and its tagline is "The home of witty banter". It basically shows repeats of Top Gear and QI.

I have no idea what advice to give. Just try to be laid back and say what you want to say. If it doesn't feel natural to be 'banterful', then don't be.
cole-slaw
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Good idea tho wont it look like im seeking a reaction/approval? I feel more under pressure when I watch people for their reactions especially if they don't laugh or see the joke Then I feel a bit stupid in the first place for making it
Don't worry about feeling stupid, you need to learn, and you can't do that without practicing. How do you think everyone else learnt?
Nino_Ib
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Well I pretty much banter whenever I want to, whether it offends anybody or nah that's just me. As someone said earlier just relax go with the flow and get the feel about what works and ease into it, you will be a pro at banter in no time
username5447420
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by netflix84)
try bantering or whatever with someone you're close with and let them know you're just trying it out, and if they get offended just apologies and genuinely mean it- it should be okay after that unless they're a major drama queen

also, this is gonna sound so stupid but make a list of lines and (maybe insults when you build u the nerve) to use, it really helps. I've got one for insults and ill put it here cause I have to say I'm proud of it.
-demon
-You twonk
-You make me want to throw up food from 12 years ago
-I want to throw you into another dimension
-I will punch your butt crack
-Pea brained eagle fu**ers
The only thing that would ever suck you off is a mosquito
You useless bumbling fu*kwit
You dense cabbage
What's a twonk, isn't that like a masculine gay guy? like the opposite of a twink? also, this forum post is 6 years old :P
netflix84
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jacobf91)
What's a twonk, isn't that like a masculine gay guy? like the opposite of a twink? also, this forum post is 6 years old :P
yeah i was hoping nobody would know what that meant
i actually heard somebody say it while they had a lisp and i loved it- before i knew what it meant ofc
and yeah the forum's old but im new and i liked it
username5447420
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
yeah i was hoping nobody would know what that meant
i actually heard somebody say it while they had a lisp and i loved it- before i knew what it meant ofc
and yeah the forum's old but im new and i liked it
Not sure why I know that either :P
netflix84
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by jacobf91)
Not sure why I know that either :P
lol just don't go telling people what it means- id like to keep it in my insult list ; )
saji13
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
lol just don't go telling people what it means- id like to keep it in my insult list ; )
Now I know too
netflix84
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by saji13)
Now I know too
well now I have to find a replacement insult lol
any suggestions?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (61)
27.85%
No - I have already returned home (25)
11.42%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (49)
22.37%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (21)
9.59%
No - I live at home during term anyway (63)
28.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise