Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, and Christians Watch

This discussion is closed.
wiwarin_mir
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by superman663j7)
Ok this has ben bothering me for sometime now and I'd like to hear others veiws on it. I go to a christian school and I have to write a bok report for school "like anyone else" but, what bothers me is that my teacher said I can read Lord of the Rings but I could not read Harry Potter. How are these to books differnt????? they both involve magic, and the fight against "good" and "evil" I don't see any difference in either. I'd like to hear what you think of this subject. thanks
Harry potter is very morally ambiguous, whereas LOTR is clear cut good verses evil. How many times does harry potter and his friends break the set rules. Also, lord of the rings is set in a different world, whereas harry potter is set in the present real world.
Masonne
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mentor16)
Firstly the entire fantasy world as we know it now..involving mystical magic and enchanted lands..these were all started by JRR tolkien..heck he even created a few of his own languages....and harry potter is therefore a rip off that i personally am not a fan of so the biast comment has its place...But secondly the reason you cannot use harry potter in your report is because it refers directly to witch craft...this is not embaced by the church at all....whereas Lord of The Rings has got no basis in our world...this means that you cannot directly relate any happenings to real life and therefore you cannot challenge the bible with it.... harry potter on the other hand mixes real people in amongst the witch craft which is obviously something that pisses off the church...

So you see that is a quick example of why you can use LOTR but not hp..
Hope it was of some help..

EDIT----sorry i just re-read this and it sounds really harsh. think of me saying it while smiling
tolkien had a huge effect on fantasy but to say he single handedly created the fantasy genre is stretching his influence way too far!!
plus how is harry P a rip off of this? its not at all! the only similarities are the battle between good and evil, a dark lord and a few others. a rip off would be if harry potter had a ring which needed to be destroyed.
also there is a huge difference between being influenced by a book and including things that touch on similar themes, or may have a similar sort of character, or foe, etc and outright copying. both harry p and lotr both draw heavily on the judaeo-christian manichean tradition, that doesnt mean one copied the other or that they both copied this christian narrative and so are any less enjoyable or reputable as books but the culture these books were written in have various symbols, narratives, codes and emblems etc which influence them and in turn are influenced back.
this isnt very concise!! sorry.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Lord of the Rings is based around this area of Lancashire:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...?oneclick=true

He did NOT make all of it up, he took great inspiration from this area and other old stories to create LOTR.

Ironically with keeping to your title, the area is dominated by a catholic school.

Now Harry Potter, it is thought that that woman modelled 'Hogwarts' on Ampleforth College in Yorkshire, again a catholic school. AMpleforth was funnily enough used in filming for some of the movies.
MentallyIll
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)

He did NOT make all of it up, he took great inspiration from this area and other old stories to create LOTR.

Ironically with keeping to your title, the area is dominated by a catholic school.

Now Harry Potter, it is thought that that woman modelled 'Hogwarts' on Ampleforth College in Yorkshire, again a catholic school. AMpleforth was funnily enough used in filming for some of the movies.

You are an endless supply of knowledge about matters involving catholic schools and antiquity.
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by MentallyIll)
You are an endless supply of knowledge about matters involving catholic schools and antiquity.
Thankyou, I am a great and holy man, bow down to me pleb
Masonne
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Joey_Johns)

ok that explains what i was trying to say better. thanks.
an Siarach
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by superman663j7)
Ok this has ben bothering me for sometime now and I'd like to hear others veiws on it. I go to a christian school and I have to write a bok report for school "like anyone else" but, what bothers me is that my teacher said I can read Lord of the Rings but I could not read Harry Potter. How are these to books differnt????? they both involve magic, and the fight against "good" and "evil" I don't see any difference in either. I'd like to hear what you think of this subject. thanks
When i was in school we were told to steer clear of fantasy books as well, with certain exceptions such as the works of Tolkien, Mervyn Peake and some others. Presumably its because Harry Potter is a work of less literary quality than Lotr which is a world renowned classic.
suprastar
Report 15 years ago
you shouldnt read either of the books, now u come 2 mention it, christianity is a waste of time aswell, causes nufin but trouble, infact im gunna start a new debate see what other people think.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (197)
18.67%
Labour (546)
51.75%
Liberal Democrats (141)
13.36%
Green Party (58)
5.5%
Brexit Party (15)
1.42%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.38%
SNP (17)
1.61%
Plaid Cymru (5)
0.47%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (7)
0.66%
SDLP (1)
0.09%
Ulster Unionist (4)