The Student Room Group

Does my essay count towards a final grade?

Hi! I have a question that will not make me come across as very smart.
I have a 2500-word essay to write that is due in less than 5 hours. I've written about 6000 words in just notes but I've began to realise I won't be able to finish it due to not even having actually started writing it. I don't feel good about this: it's my first time I consider just skipping it, I've spent days reading for it and I'm quite a high-achiever in academic terms. On top of that I feel guilty because my parents paid an awful lot of money for me to study in the UK and I don't even seem to put any adequate effort in. On the other hand, all this might be an over-reaction since this is only my 1st year and the essay accounts for only 40 percent of my overall module mark (the rest is a 2-hour exam). I just feel so irritated right now - perhaps from repressed stress boiling underneath my relatively calm surface that I project to others - that I just feel like throwing my computer out of the window whenever I look at the blank document. I have such problem not getting completely disillusioned during exams' time, asking myself unappropriately timed questions like: do I really want to do this with my life? What's the point? Blah blah, etc. etc...

So, if you have had the energy to put up with my rant, will one failed essay count towards my final mark? This is just an extra module in a completely unrelated subject to the one I'm taking - is in Archaeology while I study Social Anthropology. It's a 20-credits course. If I score the highest mark in my exam, amounting to 60 percent, that will mean I'll get a final mark of 60 in the module, right? Yes, like I said this question will not make me sound very smart. I'm not studying Mathematics, obviously :wink:

I seem to care less about studying since I started uni - don't know why. I virtually scored the highest mark in every subject I took in my home country, but now I just can't put my heart into it. Is this normal thing, going to uni, or is it indicative of something? What I enjoy the most at the moment is travelling around the UK on my own, which is what I do as soon as I have time off. Obviously, this is not a realistic career path, though - and not the right way to use all of my student loan. I do not know what I want anymore. So confused.
(edited 9 years ago)
Unlikely it'll count in first year, I once missed a class test that was worth 20% of a module and I still passed. Does your uni not allow for late submissions? At my old uni we lost a grade band for every day it was late, so it could be easily done if you don't mind going down a grade band.

Also it's completely possible to write 2500 words in 5 hours as long as you're not a slow typist.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending