Birkbeck, University of London social life

Watch this thread
MrUnintentional
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm 19 and male. I'm trying to come to a final decision on which University I want to attend. London is drawing me in as it has so much to offer and is unrivalled by any other UK city.
My London offer is from Birkbeck, which I'm aware has an older demographic and holds its lectures in the evening. My worry, as I'm a very sociable creature, is it won't offer the same university life style as a maybe alternate London universities or unis in smaller cities. I'm afraid the vast size of the city, the fact Birkbeck doesn't have its own halls and the older population studying on my course may result in a comparatively lonely 3 years in London.

My questions are: Is anyone of a similar age studying at Birkbeck who could shed some light on the social side of things?
Are intercolligate halls sociable and good for meeting people?
Are evening lectures an annoyance or convenience?

Thanks
Sloppy Jumpers
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by MrUnintentional)
I'm 19 and male. I'm trying to come to a final decision on which University I want to attend. London is drawing me in as it has so much to offer and is unrivalled by any other UK city.
My London offer is from Birkbeck, which I'm aware has an older demographic and holds its lectures in the evening. My worry, as I'm a very sociable creature, is it won't offer the same university life style as a maybe alternate London universities or unis in smaller cities. I'm afraid the vast size of the city, the fact Birkbeck doesn't have its own halls and the older population studying on my course may result in a comparatively lonely 3 years in London.

My questions are: Is anyone of a similar age studying at Birkbeck who could shed some light on the social side of things?
Are intercolligate halls sociable and good for meeting people?
Are evening lectures an annoyance or convenience?

Thanks
Hey there,
Welcome to TSR, I hope you're well! Have you tried posting in this Birkbeck thread?

Good luck!

SJ
Amandao1
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Omg I actually need the answer to your exact question 😩 Did you find out in the end...?
Abdul_87
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

I don't stay in the halls but I do study at Birkbeck, since January this year. Birkbeck is a great college with a wonderfull atmosphere and location. However, I don't recommend you to go there. Birkbeck is mainly suited to working proffessionals who are mostly mature. Most of the students, including myself, walk into classrooms half-asleep, having just finished a 9 to 5 shift. Because we're tired we really don't interact much, we have hard time focuses on the lecturers. As soon as it's 9pm, we all head for the door to get some well needed rest. There is hardly any socail life, or unions, parties, etc. You will not get a university experience.

If you're a mature person who works full-time and needs a career change, or a degree for any reason, I highly recommend Birkbeck. It is absolutely great to study there. They have a very flexible payment scheme, I pay £600 a month by direct debit.
Amandao1
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Oh no that's slightly disappointing :/ To be fair I'll be 22 and working a full time job as well, so I'm guessing I'll be in the same boat. I was just hoping there would be a slightly energetic atmosphere because I'm pretty more sociable too. Ok well from what you've seen, are there any people my age and what would you say is the average age range? I'm not against more mature peers, I'd just like some semblance of a uni experience.
Thanks so much for the response x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (59)
19.41%
The paper was reasonable (113)
37.17%
Not feeling great about that exam... (87)
28.62%
It was TERRIBLE (45)
14.8%

Watched Threads