This discussion is closed.
KaosLisa
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
For my coursework i am doing the artic research task which is:

"A group of researchers set up a series of observation sites in the Arctic on the circumference of a circle radius 50km. They need to set up a base camp so that they can visit a different sites each day by plane return to base camp each evening.

There is a strong westerly wind blowing most of the time.

Give some guidance on how long the journeys are likely to take.

I have assumed that the speed of the plane is 400km/h and the wind speed is 50km/h.

My base camp (B) is at the centre of a circle and the sites to visit each day are based on the compass points, N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW."

I now however have moved the base camp 10km to the west yet have no idea how to work out the distances from the base camp to the sites (based on the compass points). I know i have to use the cosine rule somehow but have no basic idea of where to start.

Any help given will be appriciated.
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Draw triangles, write on every length you know and every angle you know, and work with trigonometry equations from there.
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Maths coursework = die
KaosLisa
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I dont know lengths though i know the speed of the wind and plane. These are vector triangles, not normal triangles. I need to find the bearings to each site and the distances so i can work out the time it takes to get to each site from the base camp.
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
vector triangles are normal triangles...
makesomenoise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ooh I'm doing that coursework again, having chosen to resit M1, so fun :rolleyes:
Atticus
Report 15 years ago
Hi, I am doing the same piece of coursework and having similar difficulties, if anyone knows where I could view a sample piece of this coursework, or if anyone could send me one it would be greatly appreciated.
Copying is impossible and my coursework would be banned, this is simply to see the way around a few problems. thanks
username9816
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by XTinaA)
again
I bet you wish you nailed it first time round, bcoz 2*maths coursework = death..
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (208)
49.17%
No (48)
11.35%
I'm not old enough (167)
39.48%

Watched Threads