interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey guys, I would really appreciate it if you could help out with a few questions I've been having about this book

1) What is the significance of the scene near the end where Lennie returns to the original place that the novel starts in? I thought it was something to do with irony, because that was the place that George told him to go to in the event of something bad happening, and in the end he did manage to return to that place despite his learning difficulties which shows how much he cared about George and listened to what he had to say.

2) What is the significance of the title to the events and themes in the novel? I was thinking something along the lines of how ranch workers in that period of time were treated as animals, as small and insignificant as mice and a huge contrast to the rich men that were in control of the ranches and hired the workers.

I'm not too sure about these, so English heads feel free to call me out on anything if you think it's wrong. Thanks for helping!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gingerbread101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well for the first one, if you look at it the other way around, then it's a classic case of foreshadowing. The pool was always linked to death- Lennie's dead mouse was here, and if you read it closely, a water snake was also killed by a heron here.

As for the title, your guess is as good as mine..! There were a lot of references to mice throughout the book, so perhaps like the foreshadowing at the pool, this could be showing the link between the men and that dead mouse, showing the fragility of life, and how easy it can be discarded.
interstitial
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Update for anyone that's interested - I found out the title comes from a poem by Robert Burns and draws a parallel to the loneliness of the characters and how their dreams are resigned to stay unfulfilled (the poem talks about how everyone suffers and ultimately dies in the end.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.39%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.76%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.04%
I need help with my personal statement (56)
40.29%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
25.18%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.16%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.19%

Watched Threads