This discussion is closed.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
omg, Brian Lara is having a stormer of a game! a double century not out.......

England in deep trouble.... what was that about the 'new age' of english bowling?
kindersurprise
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Who's Brian Lara?
xox
makesomenoise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kindersurprise)
Who's Brian Lara?
xox
Captain and long-term mainstay of West Indies cricket team.

Maybe they've figured our attack out. Or maybe the pitch is just that good for batsmen. Not that we'd necessarily exploit it, we might be too demoralised by the Windies' performance...
Joey_Johns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
omg, Brian Lara is having a stormer of a game! a double century not out.......

England in deep trouble.... what was that about the 'new age' of english bowling?
It is what you call media hype. They have made out that England are almost ready to dethrone the Aussies. Sadly the truth is they would still blow us away with ease.
4Ed
Rep:
?
(Original post by XTinaA)
Captain and long-term mainstay of West Indies cricket team.

Maybe they've figured our attack out. Or maybe the pitch is just that good for batsmen. Not that we'd necessarily exploit it, we might be too demoralised by the Windies' performance...
so what do you think West Indies will declare on? they've got to let us bat if they're to stand a chance!

and typically, the ground will probably start to worsen just when we start... and we'll have a top/middle order collapse. being very optimistic here aren't i
4Ed
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joey_Johns)
It is what you call media hype. They have made out that England are almost ready to dethrone the Aussies. Sadly the truth is they would still blow us away with ease.
too true. I rarely ever believe sports critics any more. they just voice really random opinions which they think we'd want to hear.

the same goes with Tim Henman.... EVERY year he reaches 'the fittest he's ever been in his life', and does anything happen for him during Wimbledon?
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
so what do you think West Indies will declare on? they've got to let us bat if they're to stand a chance!

and typically, the ground will probably start to worsen just when we start... and we'll have a top/middle order collapse. being very optimistic here aren't i
Don't forget a battling performance from one of the old-timers.
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)

Hmm, not sure. I'd actually prefer Windies to win if it means Lara stays in charge. He is class, its not his fault his team is poor.

Your observation is correct though, England will prob collapse like usual.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Don't forget a battling performance from one of the old-timers.
lol of course, either Butcher, Hussain or Thorpe, with 'experience' of Carribean cricket, will score a fat century, ably assisted by a tail ender who makes 5 off about 100 balls.
HasanB
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
lol of course, either Butcher, Hussain or Thorpe, with 'experience' of Carribean cricket, will score a fat century, ably assisted by a tail ender who makes 5 off about 100 balls.
Well it is apparently a batsmans paradise of a pitch, but the windies really need somethin goin their way, and i think lara particularly deserves his double century. Theyl bat for as long as they can i think and try and take upto 600 odd, then try and bowl england out twice. As for the hype there was lots of it for Jimmy Anderson not so long ago, then he did crap in test matches and it all went away.
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
And a duck in the top half of the order, formerly a regular feature of Atherton's game.
4Ed
Rep:
?
And a duck in the top half of the order, formerly a regular feature of Atherton's game.
and that made him our essential opener for years
makesomenoise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
and that made him our essential opener for years
Was it to lull teams into a false sense of security or something, because it was never false!
4Ed
Rep:
?
(Original post by HasanB)
Well it is apparently a batsmans paradise of a pitch, but the windies really need somethin goin their way, and i think lara particularly deserves his double century. Theyl bat for as long as they can i think and try and take upto 600 odd, then try and bowl england out twice. As for the hype there was lots of it for Jimmy Anderson not so long ago, then he did crap in test matches and it all went away.
will brian lara set his sights on any records?

personally i think he's more concerned with his team winning, and i don't reckon he's scored fast enough to be thinking of posting another 180 runs or so, without leaving england enough time to bat positively.
seana
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by bono)
Lara rules in cricket.
that is so true!! I love him!!
HasanB
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by seana)
that is so true!! I love him!!
is he married to a white girl ?
4Ed
Rep:
?
lol, looking at the BBC updates, england are now so desperate that they've brought on Marcus Trescothick to bowl some overs........... he's done about 8 overs now!

and managed to contain the flow of runs - just 20 runs off those 8! well done tresco
stu_uk_aussie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Windies still going strong, although nthe bowling has not been the best, the pitch is a fantastic batting wicket there is not much swing or lateral movement. Hmm i see this maybe heading for a draw. Anyway we shall see....
4Ed
Rep:
?
looks like i was wrong about lara........... he is now on course to smash the Test batting record!
Joey_Johns
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by 4Ed)
looks like i was wrong about lara........... he is now on course to smash the Test batting record!
I think it is fair to say he will not be sacked now whatever happens

This is possibly one of the greatest turnarounds in sporting history for one sportsman. Shows how good he is fighting against adversity.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (118)
19.7%
Labour (302)
50.42%
Liberal Democrats (79)
13.19%
Green Party (30)
5.01%
Brexit Party (7)
1.17%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.5%
SNP (13)
2.17%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.5%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)