Media criticise 'disrespectful' language in India polls

Watch
navarre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-27200670

Media in India urge politicians to refrain from using "disrespectful" language in their campaigns during the ongoing general elections.

The first phase of polling started on 7 April. The ninth and last will be held on 12 May and votes will be counted on 16 May.

Politicians are increasingly using "inflammatory and disrespectful" language to criticise their opponents as the election enters its final lap.

"The Lok Sabha (lower house of parliament) elections are in the final lap and the torrent of vitriol flows unchecked in the name of electioneering…The discourse is getting bitter, personal and shriller by the day but no one seems to care," says the Hindustan Times.

The Times of India also feels the language is "getting real down and dirty as men and women in the fray… have let loose volleys of insults and caustic barbs".

The paper draws attention to the war of words between the Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi and the leaders of the ruling Trinamul Congress (TMC) party in West Bengal state.
And you think our politics is dirty? Think again. India reminds me of American politics, where you have to highly polarised sides who define themselves by their political affiliation. It'll be interesting to see who wins the polls, and how his opponents react to his victory. Will they take it like men, or will they kick up more of a fuss, stir up more hatred and throw more insults at the winner?
Ggmu!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Indian politics and campaigning is a joke. And that extends to everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (519)
33.72%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (637)
41.39%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (313)
20.34%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.55%

Watched Threads