Help choosing course firm at uni

Watch
coolio41
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Mathematics with Economics (BSc) at LSE - 3Years or Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics at Warwick (MSc) - 4Years

LSE are asking for *AA, Warwick are also asking for *AA, but will reduce it to AAA if a 2 is achieved in STEP 1. I am very confused as to which one I should choose as my firm. My insurance is going to be Southampton, who are asking for AAB. Please can anyone help with the employability of the different courses, which is better for finance/investment banking/ actuarial sciences? Which is better for Social life? Which is a better course, which one is harder? etc. just anything to help make my decision please!

My other offers are from:
Bath - Mathematical Sciences - with placement year *AA
Bristol - Economics and Maths - *AA
Would either of these be better for a career into finance?

Thanks in advance guys
Mav455
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Are there not actuarial science courses at these unis? Personallly I think maths with economics is better for a career in finance like you said
To get an idea of employability and stats, go to Whatuni it gives all the stats and also has student reviews
Another website is unistats. Lets you compare courses in terms of employability, salaries etc
Which uni did you like best on the open days? Remember you`ll be studying here for 3 years so make sure its something you know you`ll enjoy
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Read this - all of it : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices

And don't use League Tables, employment stats etc to choose a Uni course. League Tables are based on things like how much government research funding a Uni DEpt gets, how many journal articles each Professor published two years ago and a whole heap of other things that have NO bearing on any undergraduate course. Employment stats include people shelf-filling in Tescos - so what exactly does that tell you really? Look at the courses in detail and think about the day to day reality of studying each one. What optional units are available - in all years of the course? Which ones would you actually choose? What extras are there - work placements, study abroad etc etc.

Personally I'd choose Bath or Bristol simply because Warwick Uni is actually stuck in the middle of nowhere on the outskirts of Coventry and LSE involves the expense of living in London. Economics and Maths would leave you the widest options - and who knows how your ideas about a career will change during 3 years of Uni? Bristol is a great place to be a student - watch this : https://www.youtube.com/user/UniversityOfBristol
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.45%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
43.64%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (13)
23.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.45%

Watched Threads