In late 20's with no career prospects - help please? Watch

cswizard
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello everybody, I am really sorry for the length of this post, and i will try to be as straight to the point as I can, but I am pleading for any of your help to get me out of my situation and give me some guidance please.

I am 28 years old, going to be 29 in a few months, with no prospects for my future. This has caused me to become stressed and depressed, because I look back at my life and think what have I done and where have all the years gone?

I live in the Midlands, and being an Asian male, my family have expectations of me. Lots of my family and extended family have graduated and gone on to have good jobs, even my friends have got decent jobs but me personally, have just failed in my life.

Academically in school I did not try hard enough - achieved only 4 A - C's which included both English subjects, Business, R.E but the rest i achieved D's. Due to not getting 5 A-C grades, i couldn't get into 6 form to do A Levels. This was back in 2001.
I then settled for college and did an alternative to A Levels - I did an AVCE Double Award in Business - which is similar to BTEC nowadays.

I got two C grades for the AVCE Business double award, and then decided i would go to Leicester DeMontford to study a degree in Marketing.

I was on this path because in school, I studied GCSE Business and got a C grade which was better than the other grades and then i studied business at level 3 and did well in the marketing modules so i thought this was the field i wanted to go into.

At uni i didn't have the motivation and therefore left the course half way through, and that was back in 2004. Since then the years have just flown by, i worked in a few call centre's which obviously hasn't challenged me at all, and even until this date i am working in a call centre at the age of 28!

Please dont tell me to see a careers advisor because i have before and they are really of no help, the people on this forum are so much more helpful and can offer much better advice than the careers advisors, as so many of you have skills in different fields.

I mean i cannot live my life like this anymore, i am 28 with a little bit of savings and on like £14k a year in a call centre with no prospects of moving up!!
One of my friends works for BNP Paribas in london in banking and is on 40k plus, some others are on serious money, and i feel so ashamed on what i am doing with my life.
I also have shut myself from the friends i have because they always go on about how successful they are and it basically makes me feel like crap.

I just need some guidance please guys. Now the problem is you will ask, what do i like to do? This is the problem, because i have wasted so many years of my life doing call centre or skill-less jobs, i have no idea what i am good at or what i should do?

I enjoy computing and I.T and have good knowledge in that field, and i was thinking about studying Computer Science, but i have no experience in Programming at all.

May i add that i just re took my GCSE Maths last year and achieved a grade B - my highest GCSE grade which i am proud of and may open some doors for me in regards to getting on some further courses.

If you were in my shoes what would you do? I have enquired into an Access course at a college in Birmingham for a computing course - which many Universities would accept but then i am worried that because i have no knowledge in computer science, would this be too hard for me to go from the access course onto that?

Bearing in mind that i am going to be 29, if i did my access and degree, i wouldnt graduate until like 33?? But this is my last chance of hope, i just want to be somebody and just want to be on a decent salary with a good qualification behind me.

Please help guys and any questions you have, feel free to ask.

Thank you

Jay

donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Someone I know did computing at like 45. he did pretty well and graduated. if you don't have experience in programming, then try teaching yourself some simple java stuff maybe. if you enjoy it, go and apply to universities. you're not going to get anywhere unless you start somewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
dnaalpha
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cswizard)
i just want to be somebody and just want to be on a decent salary with a good qualification behind me.
What is it that you really want to do? If you could choose, anything, what would it be?

Before you embark on any further qualifications, it is important that you have an end goal in mind.

It's definitely not too late to get the career you want, not at all. I know call centre work is awful (done it myself enough) but you still have years of work experience, and it's quite easy to make it sound good in the job application process.

I would advise you to study part-time, but this takes so much commitment and motivation, and if you didn't have the level of motivation to complete a degree in a university environment then I would be hesitant at starting one in a part-time self-motivated working environment. It really isn't for everyone.

My advice would be to figure out what job you really want, and then start working towards that job through networking, learning and researching, if possible volunteering, and just keep focused on that one thing.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You are no where near accamedically good enough to do Comp Sci.

If I were you I'd try and take up a trade, plumber, electrician or something. Yesterday I paid a guy £65 for an hour and a halfs work to fit a bathroom extractor fan. He had three more jobs that day.
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I hope all the folk doing their GCSE read this thread.
Limpopo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wonder if you are focussing too much on your mate who works at Paribas and allegedly gets £40k pa?

We cant all be superstars. Here are a few people who i went to school with (no names)..

a) A multimillionaire fashion designer
b) A very well known comedian and actor
c) Manchester United football player

There are probably a few others i cant recall.

It can be quite painful simply comparing yourself with others based only on income or career.

But is that really all we are or what we are worth?

Look at it this way,,you ARE employable. You have a job. You have a work history.

I think that you need to rebalance your view of the future toward career development rather than further study. Further study could form part of development within employment but dont ditch the employment for going back to uni.

I know a guy who is in his mid thirties and has spent all his life at college/Uni. I honestly dont have a clue HTF he manages as he has never had any real paid employment.

I can understand how working in a call centre might feel like there is no scope for development. Maybe you need to harness your customer service skills and package them with other skills,looking for something that fits but with some potential growth?
the mezzil
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Worth a look if you wish to continue your education and get good qualifications including degrees, whilst getting paid. Good idea for some, not for others. Worth a look anyway. Especially in the engineers and other skilled areas.

http://www.army.mod.uk/
ryan9900
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Armed Forces.
cswizard
Rep:
?
And old simon, sorry am I such a bad example so that you want to use my case to make GCSE students feel better?

Seriously I havent got time for immature kids to start putting me down just because I realise I didnt take my chances at a younger age.

I thank all of you who have gave some insight into what I could do though. Somebody in this forum said I am academically not good enough to do computer science. Is this honestly true even if I do an access course in computing and software engineering with an emphasis on level 3 maths modules??

Im only looking for positive and constructive feedback please
benplumley
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you have no programming experience, why are you considering a CS course? It's not that I think you'll be unable to do it, but you don't even know whether you enjoy it yet. I think if you struggled with maths then it'll be quite hard to get into CS anyway, and I don't think any university would take you on without an A level or equivalent in maths. There are plenty of other more vocational IT related careers though. The jump from call centre worker to computer scientist is massive, there are bound to be stepping stone jobs that combine aspects from each.
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ok seriously the reply from m0h33z saying ''didnt even read it and just shut up'' is just plain disrespectful and immature. And old simon, sorry am I such a bad example so that you want to use my case to make GCSE students feel better?

Seriously I havent got time for immature kids to start putting me down just because I realise I didnt take my chances at a younger age.

I thank all of you who have gave some insight into what I could do though. Somebody in this forum said I am academically not good enough to do computer science. Is this honestly true even if I do an access course in computing and software engineering with an emphasis on level 3 maths modules??

I don't think you'd get through it, no.

As someone has said, why are you interested in Comp Sci? To imporve career prospects? You'll be a few years down the line and still jobless.

As I say, a vocation would probably suit you much better.

Although possibly not what you what to hear, its contructive.
hellodave5
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello everybody, I am really sorry for the length of this post, and i will try to be as straight to the point as I can, but I am pleading for any of your help to get me out of my situation and give me some guidance please.

I am 28 years old, going to be 29 in a few months, with no prospects for my future. This has caused me to become stressed and depressed, because I look back at my life and think what have I done and where have all the years gone?

I live in the Midlands, and being an Asian male, my family have expectations of me. Lots of my family and extended family have graduated and gone on to have good jobs, even my friends have got decent jobs but me personally, have just failed in my life.

Academically in school I did not try hard enough - achieved only 4 A - C's which included both English subjects, Business, R.E but the rest i achieved D's. Due to not getting 5 A-C grades, i couldn't get into 6 form to do A Levels. This was back in 2001.
I then settled for college and did an alternative to A Levels - I did an AVCE Double Award in Business - which is similar to BTEC nowadays.

I got two C grades for the AVCE Business double award, and then decided i would go to Leicester DeMontford to study a degree in Marketing.

I was on this path because in school, I studied GCSE Business and got a C grade which was better than the other grades and then i studied business at level 3 and did well in the marketing modules so i thought this was the field i wanted to go into.

At uni i didn't have the motivation and therefore left the course half way through, and that was back in 2004. Since then the years have just flown by, i worked in a few call centre's which obviously hasn't challenged me at all, and even until this date i am working in a call centre at the age of 28!

Please dont tell me to see a careers advisor because i have before and they are really of no help, the people on this forum are so much more helpful and can offer much better advice than the careers advisors, as so many of you have skills in different fields.

I mean i cannot live my life like this anymore, i am 28 with a little bit of savings and on like £14k a year in a call centre with no prospects of moving up!!
One of my friends works for BNP Paribas in london in banking and is on 40k plus, some others are on serious money, and i feel so ashamed on what i am doing with my life.
I also have shut myself from the friends i have because they always go on about how successful they are and it basically makes me feel like crap.

I just need some guidance please guys. Now the problem is you will ask, what do i like to do? This is the problem, because i have wasted so many years of my life doing call centre or skill-less jobs, i have no idea what i am good at or what i should do?

I enjoy computing and I.T and have good knowledge in that field, and i was thinking about studying Computer Science, but i have no experience in Programming at all.

May i add that i just re took my GCSE Maths last year and achieved a grade B - my highest GCSE grade which i am proud of and may open some doors for me in regards to getting on some further courses.

If you were in my shoes what would you do? I have enquired into an Access course at a college in Birmingham for a computing course - which many Universities would accept but then i am worried that because i have no knowledge in computer science, would this be too hard for me to go from the access course onto that?

Bearing in mind that i am going to be 29, if i did my access and degree, i wouldnt graduate until like 33?? But this is my last chance of hope, i just want to be somebody and just want to be on a decent salary with a good qualification behind me.

Thank you

Jay

Enrol on the course... then:

1. get on codeacademy and learn coding.
2. change job to something that you enjoy, part time to support yourself.
3. enrol on a degree in comp science assuming you have prequite qualifications needed.
4. then you can be a software engeneer/programmer etc. wage of around £25k-30k start in grad schemes... its not bad.

cswizard
Rep:
?
Sorry to disagree with you but I applied to Aston University and nottingham and they both said that I can do the relevant access course with a number of distinctions in maths/cs modules. Also they have not asked for A level maths although I understand it would be extremely beneficial. So your incorrect in that. They said they teach everything from scratch but obviously I will have over a year to self teach or learn some basic programming.
And I have used Python actually and abit of visual basic so no im not completely in the dark with it!

Also you cant say you dont think somebody will get through it if there are probably examples on here of people who have actually gone on to complete CS after doing an access course
cswizard
Rep:
?
Thank you hellodave its responses like yours that make me not want to give up on something that I have looked into and have a passion for
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Quady)
I don't think you'd get through it, no.

As someone has said, why are you interested in Comp Sci? To imporve career prospects? You'll be a few years down the line and still jobless.

As I say, a vocation would probably suit you much better.

Although possibly not what you what to hear, its contructive.
By far the thickest most disorganised guy in my house at my independent school later sold his business for over £60 million in cash. I hope that is more inspirational for you.
kmcg97
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Why? Does the truth hurt? The job market is competitive and you might need to improve a couple of grades to get ahead. Perhaps even get that extra A-C GCSE and then do a couple of A-Levels? Never too late. Good luck
suedonim
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think you need to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" a few times and stop seeing life solely in terms of money. There are many people who are paid very little but contribute more to society than bankers. You should also have transferable skills from the call centre and could try and change jobs to one that would make you feel better about yourself.

Decide what you want and start working towards it. If you had funding for a degree before you may be better doing a 2 year course than a 3 year degree - or study with the OU.
Stewie2011
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sometimes looking at what other members of your family have done and are good at can help as stuff can run in the family. Also, something your into or enthusiastic can help as the job is off day in day out for whatever you do. Lastly, really applying yourself at what you do is important, doing the little bit extra on assignments and pacing yourself at the same time, stamina is important, being all enthusiastic at the start of something then running out of steam shortly before assignment due is not going to do you any favours. I say this because your marks until recently indicate either poor tuition, or lack of commitment by the student, i.e you. Would say go for it though as you've got nothing better to do so might as well spend your time doing something you enjoy.
1001Shab
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ok seriously the reply from m0h33z saying ''didnt even read it and just shut up'' is just plain disrespectful and immature. And old simon, sorry am I such a bad example so that you want to use my case to make GCSE students feel better?

I agree it was rude and nasty, don't listen to him/her.

I can't tell you what to do but I can tell you to believe in yourself! If you do that you will achieve whatever it is you want. If you find computing interesting why not give it a try. The person who said you're academically not good enough is an ****hole! Being smart isn't enough in this day and society, you got to have heart to achieve your goals.

All the best to you!
Original Name
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Thank you

Jay

I've read a few comments here that are saying you're no where near good enough to get into computer science. However, one of my good friends left school with hardly any GCSEs, really screwed his A-Levels and ended up doing a foundation course for Computer Systems Engineering. To date, he has never achieved anything but a first, now finishing his 2nd year (3rd if you include the foundation) and going on to do a year in industry where he's getting paid 17k, and which will contribute to his final grade.

Please don't take this to mean that you will absolutely be as successful as he is becoming. It needs hard work, effort and a genuine interest in the subject. I wish you all the best, it's never too late to get your life on the track you want it to be on. Comparison is the killer of happiness, so don't compare your life to others, your life is your own and it doesn't really matter how long it takes you to get to where you want to be.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Liverpool
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (274)
31.53%
The paper was reasonable (423)
48.68%
Not feeling great about that exam... (105)
12.08%
It was TERRIBLE (67)
7.71%

Watched Threads