Transferring to another uni for same masters

Watch
Griffin79
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I have completed 2 and a half modules towards an a distance learning MSc. I am having difficulty with the second part of the final module for this academic year and have very little academic interest in the subject area. I also have other concerns about how the programme has been run. Anyway another university offers a D/L MSc by the same name and I was thinking about approaching them regarding a transfer. Would I be able to take the two completed modules with me? I think they are worth 20 'credits' each. I appreciate the half completed one is unlikely to be included.

Thanks
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You would need to contact the course leader on the course to see if this was possible.
Griffin79
Rep:
?
I've sent an email.

What about taking a PG cert to another uni to complete the other 2/3 's required for a masters?
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's really up to your target university as there aren't any central rules. What might be done by one uni, may not be done by another. There's really no way to know what you'd be permitted to do.

Generally, Masters credits at conventional universities aren't degined to be transferrable. Whether a PGCert would be accepted as somethign which allows you to skip straight to the second term, is something only your target uni could tell you. I've certainly never heard of it happening, but that doesn't mean it's impossible.
Griffin79
Rep:
?
Interesting. So its a bit different then at postgrad level to undergrad where transfers seem to be quite common? What about the credit transfer system many universities have?
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If the courses aren't compatible then it doesnt matter what credit transfer may be in place and no University of going to be interested in you claiming 'their' degree if you have done most of it somewhere else, and not what their course actually consists of. University transfer is very limited even at Undergrad level but at least there you would have 2 years to actually 'do' the new Uni's own degree. In reality the only Uni that does credit transfer effectively is the OU, mainly because their degrees are actually designed to be modular.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Griffin79)
Interesting. So its a bit different then at postgrad level to undergrad where transfers seem to be quite common?
Not all requests to transfer at undergrad level are successful though. Two of my undergrad colleagues tried to transfer to other universities after passing the first year and were rejected by their target unis. Any transfer will always be at the discretion of the receiving uni. You can't just apply and expect to be accepted.

What about the credit transfer system many universities have?
If the credit transfer system you refer to is the ECTS, this is used to calculate equivalence with European qualifications. It isn't intended to facilitate transfers between UK universities. I've not heard of any other credit transfer system for use within the UK - certanly not at Masters level. Presumably if there was such a thing, you wouldn't be having a problem.

Most Masters courses are completely written or heavily tailored by the awarding university. Even courses which appear to be the same if you just look at the title, can have completely different modules and contents. This makes transferring very problematic.
jelly1000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Griffin79)
Interesting. So its a bit different then at postgrad level to undergrad where transfers seem to be quite common? What about the credit transfer system many universities have?
Yes, masters are only designed to be one year full time anyway so they don't offer the typical transfer point that undergrad degrees do (i.e. end of first year)- unis don't do mid year transfers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (278)
34.03%
No (539)
65.97%

Watched Threads