The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Deferring my third year

Hiya

I am a mature student who hasn't been to university before this course, and I am currently three weeks away from completing my 2nd year at University of Kent. Unfortunately my financial situation has recently changed and I am now having to consider the option of deferring my final year in order to pay bills and generally survive. I believe that after taking a year out, my financial situation should have been rectified - and even if it isn't fully sorted I should be able to return for my final year as I will hopefully have extra support from family members by that time.

I have seen on other posts that there has been some good advice given to students who are contemplating deferring their second year, but it appears that they are doing this mid-way through the term so my situation is slightly different.

If I was to contact student finance and the NHS (who supply my bursary) after this academic year has finished, would I then be liable to repay any money?

Many thanks
Original post by littlefroggie
Hiya

I am a mature student who hasn't been to university before this course, and I am currently three weeks away from completing my 2nd year at University of Kent. Unfortunately my financial situation has recently changed and I am now having to consider the option of deferring my final year in order to pay bills and generally survive. I believe that after taking a year out, my financial situation should have been rectified - and even if it isn't fully sorted I should be able to return for my final year as I will hopefully have extra support from family members by that time.

I have seen on other posts that there has been some good advice given to students who are contemplating deferring their second year, but it appears that they are doing this mid-way through the term so my situation is slightly different.

If I was to contact student finance and the NHS (who supply my bursary) after this academic year has finished, would I then be liable to repay any money?

Many thanks

Hi littlefroggie

If you're worried about fees for the deferred year I suggest speaking with the Student Income office. Their contact details are here: http://www.kent.ac.uk/finance/offices/income.html

Hope this helps

Kayleigh
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending