zed963
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Why does n2>n1 (refractive index) for TIR to occur ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by zed963)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you done the lab yet? - I found critical angle & TIR to be pretty self explanatory when you're shining a light beam through a block at different angles. As you increase the angle (to the normal) you'll reach a point where the angle of refraction WOULD BE > 90 degrees... the light just doesn't have anywhere to go outside the higher refractive index material - so it must stay inside.

it doesn't happen the other way round because light crossing a boundary from low to high refractive index is always refracted at a lower angle to the normal than the incident light - which means it must always be less than 90 degrees to the normal.
zed963
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
Have you done the lab yet? - I found critical angle & TIR to be pretty self explanatory when you're shining a light beam through a block at different angles. As you increase the angle (to the normal) you'll reach a point where the angle of refraction WOULD BE > 90 degrees... the light just doesn't have anywhere to go outside the higher refractive index material - so it must stay inside.

it doesn't happen the other way round because light crossing a boundary from low to high refractive index is always refracted at a lower angle to the normal than the incident light - which means it must always be less than 90 degrees to the normal.
Kind of makes sense tbh, I was just wondering if there was some mathematical proof.
natninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Work it out - use Snell's Law.
zed963
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by natninja)
Work it out - use Snell's Law.
Sin i / Sin r ?
natninja
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sin i / Sin r ?
nisin(i)=nrsin(r)

In air, ni=1 so it simplifies.

Basically anything where the angle of refraction is greater than 90 degrees gives TIR.
zed963
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
nisin(i)=nrsin(r)

In air, ni=1 so it simplifies.

Basically anything where the angle of refraction is greater than 90 degrees gives TIR.
Why about the angle of 90? Isn't it above the critical angle ?
natninja
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why about the angle of 90? Isn't it above the critical angle ?
The idea is that if you set the angle of refraction for light leaving a medium then if the angle of refraction is greater or equal to ninety degrees then the light never leaves the medium and TIR occurs. When the angle of refraction is greater than 90 degrees then the angle of incidence is equal to the critical angle.
zed963
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
The idea is that if you set the angle of refraction for light leaving a medium then if the angle of refraction is greater or equal to ninety degrees then the light never leaves the medium and TIR occurs. When the angle of refraction is greater than 90 degrees then the angle of incidence is equal to the critical angle.
Confusing.

AFAIK if the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle, then TIR occurs, if it isn't then refraction occurs.
natninja
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Confusing.

AFAIK if the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle, then TIR occurs, if it isn't then refraction occurs.
Correct, and TIR is also when the angle of refraction is greater than 90​o
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (929)
42.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (96)
4.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed