The Student Room Group

LLB or joint BA honours (Southampton or Queen Mary)?

I like both universities equally as I have visited them and there are things I dislike about both the courses.

I'm not sure whether I should go for the LLB at Soton or Law and Politics BA at Queen Mary. I guess I am asking which would benefit me more when it comes to employment?

Thanks
Nadia!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by onesoulfortwo

Just a note, I don't think I'm going to be practicing law once I've graduated.

Then don't bother doing LLM - a joint subject degree like Politics/Law will be far more useful.

PS. Where is 'Sutton'? Or did you mean Southampton?
I think it should come down to which course you prefer. Both are qualifying law degrees (if you take the necessary modules at QM that is), in the event that you change your mind about practicing it when you graduate.

Both uni's have a comparable reputation, but they are different in terms of location and 'feel'. I'd advise you to think about which course you're really interested in. Neither will hinder you in the job market. Think about where you'd be happy living for 3 years, and visit them again if need be!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
General advice about choosing Firm/Insurance here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Firm_and_insurance_choices
Reply 4
If you have no intention of practising law upon graduation then you should opt for the BA course, as the LLB is a qualifying law degree for those who wish to pursue a career in the legal sector.
Original post by returnmigrant
Then don't bother doing LLM - a joint subject degree like Politics/Law will be far more useful.

PS. Where is 'Sutton'? Or did you mean Southampton?

Would it be more useful if I were to go into accountancy? Sorry I'm just assuming you know :tongue: I don't know if I like the fact that some of the law modules are "half" modules because of the politics modules, I wanted to study law in more depth (if that makes sense) as "full" modules.

Sutton is short for Southampton. :wink:
And sitting in a job interview saying "I never wanted to do Law but I did an LLM anyway' isnt likely to get you a job offer - for anything.

PS. Do you realise how boring Law is? Do you really want to spend every day reading this sort for three years - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smith-Hogan-Criminal-David-Ormerod/dp/0406977305/ref=cm_lmf_tit_3 - if you don't want to do it as a job? What is the point?
No, SOTON is short for Southampton.

Any if you havn't even decided what subject you want to do why are you even thinking of going to Uni?
Original post by Civil Dispute
I think it should come down to which course you prefer. Both are qualifying law degrees (if you take the necessary modules at QM that is), in the event that you change your mind about practicing it when you graduate.

Both uni's have a comparable reputation, but they are different in terms of location and 'feel'. I'd advise you to think about which course you're really interested in. Neither will hinder you in the job market. Think about where you'd be happy living for 3 years, and visit them again if need be!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't like the fact that some of the law modules at Queen Mary are "half modules". But then again I don't like the fact that mooting is assessed at Southampton and that they make you do a compulsory thesis(?) type thing in the third year. So I guess the dislikes balance out, that's why I was wondering which uni is more reputable.

I think I preferred the campus at Southampton more than Queen Mary due to the greenery, but then again I like London as a place.

I was thinking of going into accountancy after the degree though, do you possess any knowledge on that, in terms of what uni and course recruiters prefer?

Thanks for taking your time to answer!
No, SOTON is short for Southampton.

Any if you havn't even decided what subject you want to do why are you even thinking of going to Uni?

Ooops sorry!
And sitting in a job interview saying "I never wanted to do Law but I did an LLM anyway' isnt likely to get you a job offer - for anything.

PS. Do you realise how boring Law is? Do you really want to spend every day reading this sort for three years - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smith-Hogan-Criminal-David-Ormerod/dp/0406977305/ref=cm_lmf_tit_3 - if you don't want to do it as a job? What is the point?

I'm not doing an LLM, I'm doing an LLB. I doubt I would say that at an interview anyway, I'm sure many study Law and go on to do different things, not everyone wants to practice Law. I enjoy Law as a discipline, sorry if you don't.
(edited 9 years ago)
Why do an LLB when you have no intention of practicing law? LLB is all about law. So if you don't have a genuine interest in law, then it will be very boring, tedious and most likely dull for you.

Don't choose a degree subject based around a wishy washy notion that "it might be good for another area" like accounting, as you've already said.
I personally don't see a link between accounting and law. Accounting is more numerical, if you said mathematics.. yes.. but law.. hmm.. I don't see the link..

Its a shame you didn't look for Law and Politics LLB degrees which is a qualifying law degree, you wouldn't need to shell out for a GDL if you decide to practice law later on.

Choose what you want to do based upon your preferences. There is no point picking a degree without having a vested interest in the area. 3 years is a long time. It may go by quickly, but I can bet it would go by very slowly, if you're stuck in a degree you find dull.

Good luck with your decision.
I enjoy Law as a discipline.

At A level.

Doing a three year degree in one subject is a very different undertaking.
I don't like the fact that some of the law modules at Queen Mary are "half modules". But then again I don't like the fact that mooting is assessed at Southampton and that they make you do a compulsory thesis(?) type thing in the third year. So I guess the dislikes balance out, that's why I was wondering which uni is more reputable.

I think I preferred the campus at Southampton more than Queen Mary due to the greenery, but then again I like London as a place.

I was thinking of going into accountancy after the degree though, do you possess any knowledge on that, in terms of what uni and course recruiters prefer?

Thanks for taking your time to answer!

KPMG, Deloitte, PwC, etc. seem to like Birmingham and Nottingham given they have graduate work schemes in place, but I'm not an expert on the topic; my apologies.

Of course you're in London, one of the largest financial sectors in the world, if you choose QM. Though, the distinction between Soton and QM is pretty negligible. Accountancy firms won't really care which you go to, so long as you enjoy your degree and engage in a decent range of ECs. Just know, you'll be doing one of the most respected higher education qualifications, at one of two very good universities. You can't go wrong with either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
At A level.

Doing a three year degree in one subject is a very different undertaking.

I don't study Law at A level...
Then how on earth can you know that you 'enjoy Law as a discipline'?
Stop being mean! He's probably read books about Law. After all, Law at university is an academic discipline, not vocational.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending