HELP! GCSE English & English literature

Watch
RayRay119977
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I NEED HELP! My English teacher is c**p at teaching he will make us copy from the board also he cant take that if one person doesn't listen to him and talks he will stop the lesson altogether and everyone in the class has to suffer because he cant handle the students who keep talking (and wont shut up)

The school saw my grades are slipping and tried to help out. not by changing my English teacher but changing my tutor group. Yes this has helped but not as much as i hoped. i don't get anywhere in English and haven't now for about two years. I finally got the idea to not leave school but want to do extra?? i want to sort of home school myself (for English) as it is my worst subject but also most important. In maths and science i am getting B's no prob but when it comes to English i sit there like WTF. does anyone have any tips or advice for helping me with revision and tips on poetry ( relationships in edexcel anthology) of mice and men, and animal farm <-- worst book EVER!

thankyou
Rayana

nsmith2502
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I am currently studying Of Mice and Men for my exam this summer. I found the best way to revise is to keep doing exam questions. Even planning the answer well will help you know how to structure your work as well as the content.
Mav455
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi
Are there no other English teahers in our school? Maybe you can attend their revision sessions or if you have free periods go see them if you need explaining about topics?
Here are some sites that are good for notes on Of Mice and Men;
http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/micemen/ -Covers literally everything on the book
http://www.shmoop.com/of-mice-and-men/summary.html

For poetry, try the analysis yourself as in the exam (AQA) they will give you an unseen poem which you have to analyse, so doing these will help you practise
And to get alternative analysis views (higher marks) just Google the individual poems to see any extra analysis ideas that you can add to your notes
Also have a look at mark schemes and example answers so you have an idea of what to write to get a high grade and dont forget to practise past papers!
Hope that helps
andersonblaines
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi there. I know how you feel, my English teacher is not very good at teaching either. She spends a lot of time talking about her obsession with John Betjeman (a poet who we don't even study very much) rather than teaching us. I swear she’s the leader of his fan club.

Anyway, I think you need to find a good teacher who can help you. Perhaps ask for revision sessions after school to get one-on-one help and advice for your exams. (Unfortunately for me, my teacher is the very personwho runs the revision sessions.)

Don’t panic too much; English is all down to interpretation. As long as you explain your point and back it up with relevant quotes and details from the book. Look through past papers at the type of questions that come up; make plans for questions about different themes or characters.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.21%
No I am happy with my choice (116)
55.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed