mvp12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm considering an English Literature & History joint honours degree, but I only take English Literature at A-Level, not History. I have an A at History at GCSE (if that means anything at all), but I was wondering if the fact that I haven't taken History at A-Level would significantly harm my prospects of being admitted, or completely negate them altogether?

Thanks in advance
Milkywaykid
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It will probably depend on what the uni wants. Have a look online at uni requirements for some that do this particular course, and it will tell you some might require it, some might not
simplylldxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
With my university; you don't have to have a History A-Level to do English Lit and History (which I'm planning on doing) but you do with the single honours History. But it does depend on the university of course!

Posted from TSR Mobile
EloiseStar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing joint honours history and my course needed History to at least A-Level grade B. However, my best friend is also history joint honours elsewhere and she didn't need it. It really depends on the university and they will state whether you need it or not in the course requirements.
50lashes
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mvp12)
I'm considering an English Literature & History joint honours degree, but I only take English Literature at A-Level, not History. I have an A at History at GCSE (if that means anything at all), but I was wondering if the fact that I haven't taken History at A-Level would significantly harm my prospects of being admitted, or completely negate them altogether?

Thanks in advance
complications can be avoided by accepting punishment of 3 lashes for this crime
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Most sensible Unis will insist on History at A level - History (even as a combined subject) is one of the most competitive subjects. You might find lower Unis that ask for points rather than grades are a possibility.

One alternative is to look for a degree with a wider focus that encompasses both subjects like Humanities, Liberal Arts or Cultural Studies or even American Studies. Although these degrees will include 'history' they probably won't require it specifically at A level.
mvp12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by returnmigrant)
One alternative is to look for a degree with a wider focus that encompasses both subjects like Humanities, Liberal Arts or Cultural Studies or even American Studies. Although these degrees will include 'history' they probably won't require it specifically at A level.
I am considering taking English with American Studies, but I do have some reservations about taking a subject with 'studies' in the name, as they generally don't have a good rep do they?
returnmigrant
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Its fine. It has the status of a sensible literate 'essay' subject, and since it often has a Year Abroad attached, employers value it.

Media Studies, Dance Studies etc - yes, a bit lightweight.
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I had a quick look round a random selection of 'good' universities offering History & English Literature joint degrees.

Durham and York wanted both subjects at A-level, but Lancaster and Sussex required only English Lit (A-grade), not History.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (319)
56.26%
I don't have everything I need (248)
43.74%

Watched Threads