The Student Room Group

Opinions on arranged marriages?

Although it's 2014 I'm aware that arranged marriages still exist in many Muslim societies.
Personally, I disagree with it. What are your opinions on this topic?
Reply 1
Many people have a wrong perspective about arranged marriages, many people compare it too forced marriages but in reality both are completely different. I myself arranged marriages were not the best however now i have realized that there is nothing wrong with them. My own family has had a few arranged marriages which are very successful and all are happy in their marriage, I myself want an arranged marriage as my family as well as other peoples family want the best for their children and i guess everyone has their own opinions but over the years my opinions have changed :smile:
Disgusting if there's any element of force whatsoever.

Objectionable even without any force.
(edited 9 years ago)
I wouldn't want one I wanna have that whole bada bing bada boom moment, but arranged marriages aren't necessarily a bad thing as long as they aren't forced and the people in question have the option to decline :smile:
From what I hear, real "arranged marriages" aren't forced marriages but the two terms are often used interchangeably. Arranged marriages are simply where the families introduce the man and woman to one another, and it's up to them to say yes if they like what they see. It's basically just like meeting anyone else and getting to know them - it's just that the families or family friends introduced the pair, and usually there is no pre-marital sex (as the girl's family in particular would probably be very pissed off if they found out).

Forced marriages are of course forcing one or both members of the prospective couple to marry - another thing entirely.
Not a fan - my grandparents had an arranged marriage and it didn't work, he was 15 years older than her (she was only 15), it was purely because she came from a poor family and she was pretty, he came from a rich family. All it came down to was money.
Reply 6
I don't like the idea of it. From what I've seen, it gets complicated when families are involved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending