The Student Room Group

Have We Raised An Entire Generation Of Young Men That Do Not Know How To Be Men?

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/have-we-raised-an-entire-generation-of-young-men-that-do-not-know-how-to-be-men

2) You aren't entitled to our blood, sweat and work anymore. You are equal now ladies..you get to stand up on the damn bus, you get to go down with the ship and pay for your own damned meals. You want chivalry? get back into the kitchen and look after my children. You want me to die for you, to bleed for you, to work for you? Too bad. You aren't worth it. You wanted eqality, you got it, and then some.You wanted to shatter gender roles? You got it. Now we have decided to shatter gender roles too. That means men aren't going to "man up" if we don't feel like it. Got a problem with that? Too bad.

Liked this comment.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

We dont want your chivalry. Calm down.
http://www.artofmanliness.com/

The name sounds silly but it's not a bad site at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
I find that it tends to be embittered failures, evolutionary throwbacks, who are most dissatisfied with the equality of women in society.

It is interesting that you're whining about women standing up on the bus and going down with the ship. I suspect they'd be happy to endure those mere inconveniences in exchange for a share of real power and authority.
Comments are full of sexist, bitter boys. :frown:

Boys, MAN UP! :biggrin:
Original post by FriendlyLiberal

When a girl says "man up", or describes a guy as "a real man", what do you actually mean?
Reply 6
I love how there isn't an equivalent phrase for women to shame them into conforming to gender expectations. 'Woman up' doesn't quite cut it as it isn't really used. I'm sure if there were such a phrase it would be jumped on as sexist immediately. :rolleyes: I suppose there's 'get back in the kitchen' but that's seen as, and rightly so, a sexist slur rather than a piece of advice which is how 'man up' is used. Ah society.

So you tell guys to man up, yet you are so vehemently against traditional gender roles? Strong logic brah. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
There aren't universal roles each gender should be/live up to.
Reply 9

Ad hominem "Boys, MAN UP!". In a bizarre twist of irony, perhaps the zeitgeist of our times (but hey, maybe my senses are deceiving me) women are now talking more and more like the testosterone fueled chauvinists they originally despised.
Does it make you feel good that you are now dress wearing men? I do not want to attack back to be honest, it would be most unlike a gentleman.

Not saying that all women are so btw, just that i find many of these "professional" types have very little aura of a woman and are nothing more than dressing wearing physically female, but their minds? Very much conventionally male.
It seems that young men are now a disadvantaged group in the USA.

But to be honest, I know quite a lot of men who are obsessed with drinking and hooking up, who are extremely successful. I don't think the problem is with culture, the problem is with employment and education being awful.
Reply 11
Original post by majmuh24
So you tell guys to man up, yet you are so vehemently against traditional gender roles? Strong logic brah. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Zealots don't do logic.
Original post by DurhamXI
Zealots don't do logic.

Evidently not. From what I've seen of them, all they do is turn every rational argument into a 'who can shout the loudest?' competition :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's amazing how this kind of debate always fails to define 'man' in this context.
OP's comment about women paying for their own meals: Men pay for the meals because they ask the women on the date to have a meal in the first place. If I asked a man on a date for a meal, I'd be more than happy to pay as I would have asked him on the date
The comment in the OP seems to miss the point that losing gender roles doesn't mean you have to lose basic human decency. How about:

"I didn't ask for your seat on the bus, and I didn't ask you to go down with the ship or pay for my meal. If you choose to swear at me and tell me I'm 'not worth it', I'll treat you like any other lunatic and associate myself with more normal people."
Original post by Octohedral
Everyone I know uses 'man up' for men and women. It just means 'grow up' really, but the word 'man' comes from historic ideas of masculinity. I don't mind being told to 'man up'. 'Woman up' doesn't work, because the traditional behavioural stereotype of women is largely negative.

It's not meant offensively - it's actually a positive thing because it says 'you are an intelligent human being who can take responsibility for your own actions'. However, I can see why men might find it annoying. Shame though, because I can't think of a good replacement. 'Grow up' doesn't quite work, as it's more negative than positive.

Isn't 'Man up' the same? And it's pretty sexist, towards both men and women. Grow up is a pretty good replacement really, as it has nothing to do with gender, and everything to do with one's actions.
Original post by Danz123
Isn't 'Man up' the same? And it's pretty sexist, towards both men and women. Grow up is a pretty good replacement really, as it has nothing to do with gender, and everything to do with one's actions.

I'm in the Navy cadets, and it's something of a joke there - perhaps it's more negative elsewhere.

I deleted my comment because I'm not sure now.
Original post by Octohedral
I'm in the Navy cadets, and it's something of a joke there - perhaps it's more negative elsewhere.

I deleted my comment because I'm not sure now.

It's seen as a joke/advice pretty much everywhere, I just question it as it does seem sexist. I also think we shouldn't use any sexist rhetoric, rather than have a double standard of saying something like 'man up' seriously, and avoiding 'get back in the kitchen' unless it's very clear that it's a joke.
Reply 19
I don't think so. All you have to do to be a man is be 18+ and male.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending