The Student Room Group

Totally confused

I really want to be a doctor however i know that my grades won't be sufficient enough for me to do medicine so i have a few options. But i am really confused what to do. I was born in the UK but parents are from India
1- Do bio medical sciences and then do medicine after
2- Do nursing
3- Go to India to do medicine
Reply 1
you could also do a foundation course in the uk. Probably easier to get into than the graduate route, and of course, requires less time investment and muuuch cheaper.
Alternatively, you could repeat a year to get your grades up. Some medical schools don't allow this, but others do.

With option 3, you need to research how to get in, India is a big country, i'm sure its fairly competitive too, and then you'd have to think where you want to work after. Can't just come to the uk to work, you'd need to pass extra test etc.

And option 2. Would you really want to do nursing? A nurses role is significantly different from a doctors role, just because they both have jobs in a hospital, doesn't mean they're that similar!! Personally I don't think I could ever be a nurse, and nurses I work with say the same about doctors.
Look into hungary/prague etc.
Reply 3
Original post by sid4
I really want to be a doctor however i know that my grades won't be sufficient enough for me to do medicine so i have a few options. But i am really confused what to do. I was born in the UK but parents are from India
1- Do bio medical sciences and then do medicine after
2- Do nursing
3- Go to India to do medicine

I'd say if your grades aren't even close consider the likelihood of achieving highly enough in future to go into even more competitive graduate route.
Keep in mind that if you study in India you have to take what i believe is one hell of an exam in order to practice in the UK.
I think nursing is an excellent option personally, I'm planning to put it as my 5th choice when i reapply to medicine in September. It is an NHS funded course so huge bonus there, modern nursing is now full of great opportunities and has really great earning potential. Some nurses can even prescribe now days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending