The Student Room Group

Essays on an integrated course?

I'm sorry to be annoying, i start medical school in september!... nearly a student.. but i wondered how many essays you guys get and what the main type of work you get is? (preferably on an integrated course) thanks!
Original post by hl7495
I'm sorry to be annoying, i start medical school in september!... nearly a student.. but i wondered how many essays you guys get and what the main type of work you get is? (preferably on an integrated course) thanks!

I'm on an integrated course, probably wrote about one essay a year, and it was a group-effort one for the most part. We get very little assessed work tbh, nearly everything is based on end of year exams.
Reply 2
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I'm on an integrated course, probably wrote about one essay a year, and it was a group-effort one for the most part. We get very little assessed work tbh, nearly everything is based on end of year exams.

Ahh cool thanks. Do you get any "homework" which is marked but doesnt count kind of thing or is it more just revision :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hl7495
Ahh cool thanks. Do you get any "homework" which is marked but doesnt count kind of thing or is it more just revision :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. We're treated like adults, this isn't like school. Marking something that doesn't count would be a waste of tutor's time - the closest we get to that is formative exams (ie mocks). You manage your own time outside of lectures/teaching to study whatever you need to cover to pass the next exam.
I got 3 marked (though formative) essays per week, but its not an integrated course.
Reply 5
I get about 4 essays a year probably; usually ethicsy type things that are incredibly easy to pass.
We get no 'homework' no
Reply 6
Original post by LCM2
I get about 4 essays a year probably; usually ethicsy type things that are incredibly easy to pass.
We get no 'homework' no

Some of my other friends doing biomed seem to get a lot of essays and task sheets lab reports etc which all count towards the degree. I just wondered how much medics get although i can see its pretty much all exam based

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
First year we had 3 smaller essays (first one was on the ability to dumb down information and put it in the form of a news article - a largely stupid exercise I feel was just used to kick-start you into work if you were still living like it was freshers' week, second one was a critical appraisal of an article they supplied, third one was a literature review). They weren't very long and other than the first, the last two were relatively useful because if you're so research inclined then that's stuff you'll be writing. The large project is a 5000 word case study on a pregnant woman, which is very clinical and took quite a lot of effort to arrange the study, plan the interviews, etc.

Second year we had 2 large projects, a 5000 word case study again but this time on a patient with a chronic illness and then our first SSC which was a 5000 word literature review on whatever we wanted.

That's it really for us. Later on in the course, you have to do an audit which needs writing up, an elective report and some kind of case study of an ethical scenario you've experienced.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending