The Student Room Group

The Student Room inhibits Freedom of Speech through moderation. Discuss.

I believe that TSR fundamentally undermines the principle of Free Speech through the use of moderation to ban users (temporarily and permanently) who do not ascribe to their own views on conduct. Whilst these may sometimes be hostile remarks, we should nevertheless seek to uphold this ideal which we place so much emphasis on in our democratic society. It is a heinous act to inhibit free speech.

Moreover, I see hypocrisy on the part of TSR, where they do not ban posts or threads, such as inflammatory remarks to Islam, on the basis that it is a 'discussion'. Many of these threads can be upsetting to Muslims, just as a direct remark could be to somebody else regarding another issue. This is a shameful double standard, and should be addressed immediately.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Aurangzeb
I believe that TSR fundamentally undermines the principle of Free Speech through the use of moderation to ban users (temporarily and permanently) who do not ascribe to their own views on conduct. Whilst these may sometimes be hostile remarks, we should nevertheless seek to uphold this ideal which we place so much emphasis on in our democratic society. It is a heinous act to inhibit free speech.

Moreover, I see hypocrisy on the part of TSR, where they do not ban posts or threads, such as inflammatory remarks to Islam, on the basis that it is a 'discussion'. Many of these threads can be upsetting to Muslims, just as a direct remark could be to somebody else regarding another issue. This is a shameful double standard, and should be addressed immediately.

You do not have free speech on this website.

When you sign up you agree to abide by the rules they set.

Their website, their rules.

End of.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
You do not have free speech on this website.

When you sign up you agree to abide by the rules they set.

Their website, their rules.

End of.

Then why the double standards? Inflammatory remarks should surely be banned regardless of reference. It is shameful.
Reply 3
Then why the double standards? Inflammatory remarks should surely be banned regardless of reference. It is shameful.

Because it is subjective and the moderators are human, not robots.
Reply 4
Original post by Drewski
Because it is subjective and the moderators are human, not robots.

Everything is subjective. The moderators working on behalf of the TSR are selective about what they choose to ban, guided by their own prejudices.

A shameful miscarriage of justice.
Reply 5
Everything is subjective. The moderators working on behalf of the TSR are selective about what they choose to ban, guided by their own prejudices.

A shameful miscarriage of justice.

If you feel something should be moderated, report it and explain what you think is wrong. If they agree, it'll go, if not, it'll stay.

And those are the rules you sign up to by coming to this site and becoming a member. Noone is forcing you to do so. If you don't like it, leave.
Moderation is a necessity.
Reply 7

It's their rules, they can do what they want. Free speech only applies to the law, not private orginisations.
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
If you feel something should be moderated, report it and explain what you think is wrong. If they agree, it'll go, if not, it'll stay.

And those are the rules you sign up to by coming to this site and becoming a member. Noone is forcing you to do so. If you don't like it, leave.

I am a member of this society, and I will push for a change to moderation. This is a democracy, don't tell me to leave. I'm sick of the double standards shown by the moderators.
There are things which upset us about remarks of Allah SWT and Muhammad SAW. You don't see Muslims jumping on Atheist threads or Christianity threads but the opposite actually occurs. Everyday minimum 2 threads about hate speech towards Islam and repeated debates with remarks towards the religion that were actually discussed several times before. However, troll threads are left to continue to their own devices whereas direct insults are not dealt with.
Reply 10
Original post by james22
It's their rules, they can do what they want. Free speech only applies to the law, not private orginisations.

organisation*

I'm not saying it's unlawful. I'm saying that it's a grave miscarriage of justice, and a double standard shown by TSR, on a platform which claims to be inclusive and democratic.
organisation*

I'm not saying it's unlawful. I'm saying that it's a grave miscarriage of justice, and a double standard shown by TSR, on a platform which claims to be inclusive and democratic.

It's just a forum. :redface: Simmer down.
You argue for free speech yet argue against allowing critical discussion of Islam. Which do you want..?
Free speech means that you can't be arrested for what you say. It doesn't mean that TSR has to provide a platform for your views.

Freedom of speech is a principle which applies to the relationship between citizens and the government. There is no obligation in a free society for a private forum to uphold freedom of speech, and the restriction of speech by private parties within their own private forum does not undermine the principle of freedom of speech in society at large.
Reply 15
Original post by AdvanceAndVanquish
Freedom of speech is a principle which applies to the relationship between citizens and the government. There is no obligation in a free society for a private forum to uphold freedom of speech, and the restriction of speech by private parties within their own private forum does not undermine the principle of freedom of speech in society at large.

Original post by Potally_Tissed
Free speech means that you can't be arrested for what you say. It doesn't mean that TSR has to provide a platform for your views.

Original post by Mockery
You argue for free speech yet argue against allowing critical discussion of Islam. Which do you want..?

So, considering you're a 'Section Helper', are you professing that TSR is an entity which does not support Free Speech? The ironic stance of so many on here, who exclaim the repressive nature of Eastern Nations from the tops of their voices, and can't even have their say on an online forum (Unless it's mocking Islam, that's O.K!).

TSR is discriminating against certain groups.
I am a member of this society, and I will push for a change to moderation. This is a democracy, don't tell me to leave. I'm sick of the double standards shown by the moderators.

1. It's an internet forum. Chill your beans.

2. It's an internet forum. SERIOUSLY, chill your beans.

This is not a democracy.
In my opinion, TSR Muslim members would possibly be that ones who would suffer the most if TSR mods stopped moderating the Religion forum. I think you would then see the clear difference between the harmless debate instigated by atheists and the pure acrimonious vitriolic remarks made by EDL like groups.
So, considering you're a 'Section Helper', are you professing that TSR is an entity which does not support Free Speech? The ironic stance of so many on here, who exclaim the repressive nature of Eastern Nations from the tops of their voices, and can't even have their say on an online forum (Unless it's mocking Islam, that's O.K!).

TSR is discriminating against certain groups.

You can say whatever you want, but TSR has the right to not host any material it doesn't want to, and will actively seek to remove any content that violates the rules you agreed to when you signed up.

If you have a problem with that, I recommend finding another website that has absolutely zero moderation and will never remove any content nor ban any user, for any reason, ever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending