The Student Room Group

The Student Room inhibits Freedom of Speech through moderation. Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

I'll just leave this here.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by Drewski
1. It's an internet forum. Chill your beans.

2. It's an internet forum. SERIOUSLY, chill your beans.

It's not just 'an internet forum'. It's a microcosm of Western Society, representing the hypocrisy and double standards held by the majority, despite their protestations of 'DEMOCRACY!' and 'FREEDOM OF SPEECH!'
Original post by Aurangzeb
TSR... a platform which claims to be ... democratic.

Does it?

Prove it.
It's not just 'an internet forum'. It's a microcosm of Western Society, representing the hypocrisy and double standards held by the majority, despite their protestations of 'DEMOCRACY!' and 'FREEDOM OF SPEECH!'

Now you're genuinely chatting *******s.

This is an internet forum. Suggesting it is representative of anything other than an internet forum operated by The Student Group is just fanciful rhetoric that means nothing.

Show us where this site proclaims to be fully democratic and allowing full freedom of speech.
So, considering you're a 'Section Helper', are you professing that TSR is an entity which does not support Free Speech? The ironic stance of so many on here, who exclaim the repressive nature of Eastern Nations from the tops of their voices, and can't even have their say on an online forum (Unless it's mocking Islam, that's O.K!).

TSR is discriminating against certain groups.

You seem to fundamentally misunderstand the principle of freedom of speech. Restricting freedom of speech within a private forum does not in any way contradict the principle that there should be freedom of speech within the society at large.
Reply 25
Original post by + polarity -
I'll just leave this here.

Please take this American vitriol off here.

I understand there were rules when I signed up. But these rules are being misused, and double standard has been created, as I previously mentioned. Either have moderation against ALL negative remarks, or have NO MODERATION. Discrimination is something which is most certainly illegal.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 26
I can agree with the above to some extent in principle. One issue is how this is often inconsistent.

One example is how a post suggesting that overly promiscuous women make less than ideal long-term partners, was removed as "offensive", and warnings were given.

While another post saying that disabled people committing suicide when their benefits are slashed is a "positive outcome" as it constitutes "burdens on society releasing themselves", was judged not worthy of taking action against. It remained and no warnings were given, even after it was reported.

Yes, I am serious, that really happened. My respect for the TSR moderation team went down quite a bit after that. Censorship on feminist grounds with a clear bias towards that ideology and protecting the feelings of professional victims, while simultaneously giving a free pass to glorifying the deaths of vulnerable members of society, is pretty much bottom of the barrel in my assessment.
Original post by MathsAddict
There are things which upset us about remarks of Allah SWT and Muhammad SAW. You don't see Muslims jumping on Atheist threads or Christianity threads but the opposite actually occurs. Everyday minimum 2 threads about hate speech towards Islam and repeated debates with remarks towards the religion that were actually discussed several times before. However, troll threads are left to continue to their own devices whereas direct insults are not dealt with.

Moderators are not omniscient. If you see a post which you believe violates forum rules, and you do not report it, you cannot complain when it is not dealt with.
Please take this American vitriol off here.

I understand there were rules when I signed up. But these rules are being misused, and double standard has been created, as I previously mentioned. Either have moderation against ALL negative remarks, or have NO MODERATION. Discrimination is something which is most certainly illegal.

That's very negative. *Bins post*

Original post by Mequa
I can agree with the above to some extent in principle. One issue is how this is often inconsistent.

One example is how a post suggesting that overly promiscuous women make less than ideal long-term partners, was removed as "offensive", and warnings were given.

While another post saying that disabled people committing suicide when their benefits are slashed is a "positive outcome" as it constitutes "burdens on society releasing themselves", was judged not worthy of taking action against. It remained and no warnings were given, even after it was reported.

Yes, I am serious, that really happened. My respect for the TSR moderation team went down quite a bit after that. Censorship on feminist grounds with a clear bias towards that ideology and protecting the feelings of professional victims, while simultaneously giving a free pass to glorifying the deaths of vulnerable members of society, is pretty much bottom of the barrel in my assessment.

We're human beings dealing with matters that are purely subjective, I'm not going to claim that we manage to get everything 100% consistent (though that is of course what we aim for) as it's just not realistic to expect that. However, if you disagree with a decision you can raise it in Ask a Mod and the mod in question will discuss it with you, and if you're still not happy you can get a second opinion from that sections Section Leader, and if you're still not happy after that you can raise it with the community team. We try to be fair but you can never please everyone all of the time.
Please note that the discussion of specific moderation actions is not allowed on the public section of TSR. If you wish to discuss a specific action please post in the ask a moderation forum where there can be a frank and open discussion with you about this.
organisation*

I'm not saying it's unlawful. I'm saying that it's a grave miscarriage of justice, and a double standard shown by TSR, on a platform which claims to be inclusive and democratic.

It is not a miscarriage of justice, look at the definition of that phrase. TSR is inclusive (although not democratic), which is precisely why you cannot just go around insulting people.
Reply 31
I've been on unmoderated forums before. Typically it becomes a "**** you" contest, all flaming and trolling, plus petty little cliques ganging up on people they don't like.

Moderation is a necessary evil. On the other hand, I've also seen moderators on various other forums on a serious power trip, micromanaging people they don't like (while letting their buddies virtually get away with murder), using ban hammers to settle personal beefs and what have you.

Rather like managing a state, it helps to avoid both anarchy and tyranny.

When "offensiveness" is involved however, things REALLY need to be kept dispassionate since "offensiveness" is a highly subjective metric. As an example: Under the sway of feminist ideology it might be tempting to censor anything less than flattering to certain demographics of females as "offensive", yet allow much more liberty in criticism of males. Popular outrage and victim-playing games might scream for such censorship. Feelings of offensiveness by the mod team might make them conclude something "simply is" offensive. Yet such is not neutral and objective by any means.
I am a member of this society, and I will push for a change to moderation. This is a democracy, don't tell me to leave. I'm sick of the double standards shown by the moderators.

TSR is a company. They don't care about free speech/or democracy, anyway, you're idea of free speech isn't free speech at all.
Reply 33
Anyone who doesn't like the fact that we enforce a moderation policy should have had a long hard think when they clicked that agree box upon the creation of their accounts. Everyone agreed that their posts would be subject to the restrictions that TSR wanted to put into place, as it is allowed to do so as a privately run site.

There are plenty of forums with weak moderation styles on the internet, and they are all a nightmare to visit. All weak moderation gets you is a hostile atmosphere with personal attacks and trolls, and it leads to a spiraling decline in post/topic/user quality. I don't visit many anymore, but I did do a lot of reading of the GTAForums last year and it was hell. Very low quality posts, plenty of attacks, off-topic remarks, trolls, etc. - it was a mess, like someone had given a bunch of ten year olds ten cans of Red Bull and let them loose with an internet connection. Forums with weak moderation styles that let people run riot and do what they want are not something that we should be trying to devolve into, they suck, it's as simple as that.

What we do is to try to maintain a positive, healthy community and try to ensure that our discussions remain of a high quality - and I think we're largely successful with that. TSR would not be the place it is if it weren't for what the team does... and that probably sounds really narcissistic coming from a mod themselves :tongue: But it's why I joined the team a few weeks back, I just think it's an important part of what makes the site a great place for so many people. :dontknow:

So what you are really attacking is Western Society, under the guise of criticism of TSR?
If it annoys you, then just find another forum that has more lax moderation.
Reply 36
TSR is like reddit there is a hive mind of people who all share the same views. The more similar their views are to the standard hive mind uniform view the more likely they are to become a moderator. If you disagree with this then you will be censored if they consider it to be too extreme, the same people that become mods on TSR are the same people that get elected to student unions crazy fanatical communists generally.
Reply 37
Original post by crayz
TSR is like reddit there is a hive mind of people who all share the same views. The more similar their views are to the standard hive mind uniform view the more likely they are to become a moderator. If you disagree with this then you will be censored if they consider it to be too extreme, the same people that become mods on TSR are the same people that get elected to student unions crazy fanatical communists generally.

I'll have you know that Mods range from left to right wing, range in age, religious beliefs and ethnicity.
Reply 38
Original post by Idle
I'll have you know that Mods range from left to right wing, range in age, religious beliefs and ethnicity.

But they all did PPE at Oxford and went to Eton.
I believe that TSR fundamentally undermines the principle of Free Speech through the use of moderation to ban users (temporarily and permanently) who do not ascribe to their own views on conduct. Whilst these may sometimes be hostile remarks, we should nevertheless seek to uphold this ideal which we place so much emphasis on in our democratic society. It is a heinous act to inhibit free speech.

Moreover, I see hypocrisy on the part of TSR, where they do not ban posts or threads, such as inflammatory remarks to Islam, on the basis that it is a 'discussion'. Many of these threads can be upsetting to Muslims, just as a direct remark could be to somebody else regarding another issue. This is a shameful double standard, and should be addressed immediately.

This. TSR team are hypocrites, if there were any inflammatory remarks against a Jew or a Christian or any other religion or even Atheists then that thread would be taken down immediately and the OP probably banned as a result. But nope, it's about Islam and about Muslims, so its not the same. It's pathetic.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending