The Student Room Group

The Student Room inhibits Freedom of Speech through moderation. Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by crayz
But they all did PPE at Oxford and went to Eton.

Strong generalisation.
Reply 41
Original post by Idle
I'll have you know that Mods range from left to right wing, range in age, religious beliefs and ethnicity.

''Do not express discriminatory or otherwise offensive views. You know the kind of thing there’s no place for racism, religious hatred, sexism or homophobia here.'' - yeah right. Just head to 'most popular' and have a look at if there's a real 'constructive' discussion going on, or whether it's pure sexism/islamophobia.
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
This. TSR team are hypocrites, if there were any inflammatory remarks against a Jew or a Christian or any other religion or even Atheists then that thread would be taken down immediately and the OP probably banned as a result. But nope, it's about Islam and about Muslims, so its not the same. It's pathetic.

Completely untrue - I've been modding religion for a year now, and seen posters from all sorts of backgrounds warned and sometimes as a result banned for attacking a variety of different backgrounds - we are fairly impartial when it comes to dealing with things, but response time isn't set in stone (certainly around this time of year when exams roll around the modding becomes a bit slower), we do our best to remove things as fast as we can, but we don't always see things: if you spot something rule breaking, report it - we may come across it eventually and deal with it, but reporting it makes it more likely it will be dealt with that much faster.

Original post by Aurangzeb
''Do not express discriminatory or otherwise offensive views. You know the kind of thing there’s no place for racism, religious hatred, sexism or homophobia here.'' - yeah right. Just head to 'most popular' and have a look at if there's a real 'constructive' discussion going on, or whether it's pure sexism/islamophobia.

If you think that posts are discriminatory/offensive then report them. We are sadly not omniscient and cannot see everything that happens on the forum - the community moves too fast for a team of ~60 people to keep on top of it all, we rely on posters reporting things to help keep on top of it.
I keep on getting warnings for banter. Only if this forum was like bb misc.
Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD
I keep on getting warnings for banter. Only if this forum was like bb misc.

Well, TSR is not bb misc. But I do know of a forum that is very much like bb misc, if it would interest you?
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Well, TSR is not bb misc. But I do know of a forum that is very much like bb misc, if it would interest you?

So funny
Reply 46
I believe that TSR fundamentally undermines the principle of Free Speech through the use of moderation to ban users (temporarily and permanently) who do not ascribe to their own views on conduct. Whilst these may sometimes be hostile remarks, we should nevertheless seek to uphold this ideal which we place so much emphasis on in our democratic society. It is a heinous act to inhibit free speech.

Moreover, I see hypocrisy on the part of TSR, where they do not ban posts or threads, such as inflammatory remarks to Islam, on the basis that it is a 'discussion'. Many of these threads can be upsetting to Muslims, just as a direct remark could be to somebody else regarding another issue. This is a shameful double standard, and should be addressed immediately.

I absolutely, completely, wholeheartedly and fully agree with this post. I think the moderation on this forum is absolutely ridiculous, laughable in fact. The moderation team are unfairly policing and censoring everything and anything. TSR is worse than Nazi Germany.

And I absolutely agree about the remark regarding double standards. It's absolutely baffling and hysterical to see some of the threads that are allowed and approved. Those threads that are so far beyond offensive that leave you in a state of shock and bewilderment. Then at other times, one moderator might decide to ban someone on a whim, just like that, because they feel like it, without due consideration.

In short, TSR operates on a radical authoritarian regime.
Reply 47
Stinkum

And I absolutely agree about the remark regarding double standards. It's absolutely baffling and hysterical to see some of the threads that are allowed and approved. Those threads that are so far beyond offensive that leave you in a state of shock and bewilderment. Then at other times, one moderator might decide to ban someone on a whim, just like that, because they feel like it, without due consideration.

In short, TSR operates on a radical authoritarian regime.

The fact you say people are banned on a whim really undermines your argument as that is certainly not the process.
Reply 48
Original post by Idle
The fact you say people are banned on a whim really undermines your argument as that is certainly not the process.

Not really sure what you are saying.

It's not just about people being banned. It's all those silly yellow, purple and blue warning cards. What are they trying to do, make some sort of rainbow? Plenty of times I'll come on TSR and find that I've received a warning or some sort of penalty, and 4 times out of 5 I have absolutely no idea what I could have done to provoke the anger of a moderator, then I find out what the reason was and I just have to laugh to myself and shake my head.
So, considering you're a 'Section Helper', are you professing that TSR is an entity which does not support Free Speech? The ironic stance of so many on here, who exclaim the repressive nature of Eastern Nations from the tops of their voices, and can't even have their say on an online forum (Unless it's mocking Islam, that's O.K!).

TSR is discriminating against certain groups.

i totally agree.
Original post by Stinkum
Not really sure what you are saying.

It's not just about people being banned. It's all those silly yellow, purple and blue warning cards. What are they trying to do, make some sort of rainbow? Plenty of times I'll come on TSR and find that I've received a warning or some sort of penalty, and 4 times out of 5 I have absolutely no idea what I could have done to provoke the anger of a moderator, then I find out what the reason was and I just have to laugh to myself and shake my head.

this. I'm quite certain my last ban was just someone who had a grudge. refreshed the page and got 10 cards all at once lmao.
One of them was on a thread where I was being insulted and the OP was saying my mother is a terrible parent etc. because she wasn't a stay-at-home mum. Then when I made one reply calling the OP spoilt brat I get banned lel. But nah the OP didn't get banned because the mod probably agreed with her political views.

Got a blue card the last time I brought something like this up aswell so.
*awaits blue card*

Note: In the future please don't discuss the content of warnings on the public forum.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChickenMadness
this. I'm quite certain my last ban was just someone who had a grudge. refreshed the page and got 10 cards all at once lmao.
One of them was on a thread where I was being insulted and the OP was saying my mother is a terrible parent etc. because she wasn't a stay-at-home mum. Then when I made one reply calling the OP spoilt brat I get banned lel. But nah the OP didn't get banned because the mod probably agreed with her political views.

*awaits blue card*

If you want to find out the reasoning behind any cards you've received you can post in AAM where the specific rule breaking can be discussed rather than misrepresenting why you got a card, like you have here.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=266
Reply 52

*awaits blue card*

LOL

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. The moderation process seems to be completely haphazard and inconsistent, which obviously leads to a lot of people getting banned unfairly, and a lot of people can get away scot free even after posting something which is worthy of a ban.

Sometimes I think the moderators just flip a coin to decide whether to ban someone or not. Or maybe it's some sort of lottery.
Original post by Stinkum
LOL

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. The moderation process seems to be completely haphazard and inconsistent, which obviously leads to a lot of people getting banned unfairly, and a lot of people can get away scot free even after posting something which is worthy of a ban.

Sometimes I think the moderators just flip a coin to decide whether to ban someone or not. Or maybe it's some sort of lottery.

You can't even view the post you made when they give out cards lol.

Note: You can review your community record on your profile page or make a post in AAM
(edited 9 years ago)
I believe that TSR fundamentally undermines the principle of Free Speech through the use of moderation to ban users (temporarily and permanently) who do not ascribe to their own views on conduct. Whilst these may sometimes be hostile remarks, we should nevertheless seek to uphold this ideal which we place so much emphasis on in our democratic society. It is a heinous act to inhibit free speech.

Moreover, I see hypocrisy on the part of TSR, where they do not ban posts or threads, such as inflammatory remarks to Islam, on the basis that it is a 'discussion'. Many of these threads can be upsetting to Muslims, just as a direct remark could be to somebody else regarding another issue. This is a shameful double standard, and should be addressed immediately.

Hi Aurangzeb,

I'm just going to lock this thread temporarily whilst we review some of the content that has been reported - I'll let you know when I've re-opened it by posting.

There is some constructive discussion within the thread but at the same there have been accusations and comments made which break our community rules.

Thanks,
SR
I'm sorry everyone that this thread has been locked for a couple of hours now.

I'm going to address more generally some of the points raised in this thread to date.

Firstly, we are proud of the fact that our community is so diverse and that the majority of members challenge and debate all points of view respectfully. Freedom of speech is a topic which always creates debate. As some of the posters have pointed out "freedom of speech" in a sense doesn't exist on The Student Room because we have our community guidelines and rules which members sign up to when they join the forum.

It is our right and responsibility to try and ensure as a community team as far as reasonably practical to moderate posts in line with these rules.

"Freedom of speech" in any moderated forum is a common misconception - a community has guidelines, a member violates them or breaks a number of rules, the post(s) receive a reminder or a warning from a moderator or/and is potentially removed from the thread and the member doesn't like it. The member says this limits their "right" to the freedom of speech and so it continues. If it breaks our community rules then we act in line with the rules, if a member disagrees they can talk to us privately in AAM and AASL.

Rule breaking posts may have been detected by a member of the Community Team (both TSR staff or a moderator) or it may have been reported by a member of the community - in both cases the post will be reviewed and if it is decided (based on guidelines/rules that it has broken the rules) a reminder or warning will be issued. This is dealt with privately and we don't feedback to members who have reported a post in terms of whether a warning has been given etc. If you've reported a post that you think should be removed and it isn't then get in touch privately via AAM or AASL.

Whether it has been reported or simply picked up by a member of the team it doesn't matter because if it is a violation of the rules then the member needs to bear that in mind and not break the rules in the future.

Sometimes we miss things - as someone has already mentioned, we try to remain vigilant but it's rather tricky for a team of 60 individuals who all have commitments outside of TSR to keep on top of minute by minute posting. That's why we ask the community to help out by reporting posts and threads that are rule-breaking or trolling.

I believe that TSR

Who is TSR? In my opinion it is our community and if our community find a post or thread offensive then they need to report so we can look into it. If someone doesn't agree with someone's opinion they can respectfully disagree by stating their point without finger-pointing or becoming aggressive or name-calling etc.

Over the last month or so we have advertised for moderators to support the Debate and Current Affairs forum because we recognise that it is a very busy and we understand the concerns our members have already shared about the content of some of the debates. Members can support this community by reporting and by considering to move into moderation at some point in the future.

All our mods are community members and provide a lot of support to this community in variety of ways, so with that in mind is it fair to attack a group of people, calling them biased? That's making it "personal" with no evidence to demonstrate this fact. Yes, members are entitled to their opinion and I appreciate that sometimes they feel the need to share this with others but to make broad statements about moderator or community team conduct is potentially inflammatory if the way the comment is made goes against our community guidelines. It is not if a member disagrees, but how they disagree. There's a very important difference.

Please bear in mind that day-to-day members do not have "behind-the-scenes" access - members don't know the number of posts reported and the content of these posts, the number of reported posts removed and any warnings provided, a member's history and the reason behind their ban (temporary or permanent).

Members have different levels of tolerance - if we believe as a community that we have become too "tolerant" of some of the "topical threads" that have been discussed already in this thread then we need to work together on this. Not start pointing the finger at one another and create some form of blame culture focused on one group of people.

The communities that continue to thrive and grow are those that adapt, and who conquer the issues and obstacles together, who persevere and move on.

So with that in mind, how do we move forward now?
(edited 9 years ago)
You can't even view the post you made when they give out cards lol.

Note: You can review your community record on your profile page or make a post in AAM

Original post by She-Ra
?

Yes but you can't see your actual original post that resulted in a card or ban. All you can see is blue card 'unconstructive post etc.' and thats it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes but you can't see your actual original post that resulted in a card or ban. All you can see is blue card 'unconstructive post etc.' and thats it.

If you left click on the blue thread title with the details of the card you received, you should get the post to appear in a pop up. If you find this isn't working you can always come to AAM where we will explain what the card was for.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 58
I've just received a blue card because of my comments on this thread.
(edited 9 years ago)
I hope, for everyone's sake, that you did not honestly mean this...

Original post by Stinkum
TSR is worse than Nazi Germany

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending