The Student Room Group

The Student Room inhibits Freedom of Speech through moderation. Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stinkum
I've just received a blue card because of my comments on this thread.

No, you have not.
Reply 61
Original post by Potally_Tissed
No, you have not.

It wasn't just now, it was an hour ago maybe.
Original post by Stinkum
It wasn't just now, it was an hour ago maybe.

Like I said, you have not received a warning for your posts on this thread.

If however you'd like to discuss any actual warnings rather than warnings that don't actually exist, please use Ask A Moderator.
Reply 63
Original post by Coke Or Pepsi
I hope, for everyone's sake, that you did not honestly mean this...

Of course it wasn't intended to be taken literally, I was trying to emphasise my point. I'm saying that TSR operates on a highly restrictive regime which punishes people for expressing unpopular opinions even if this is done in a civilised manner. I received a blue card completely out of the blue, it was totally unexpected, I'm sure it had something to do with what I've posted on here. I stuck to the rules, didn't offend anyone, stayed on topic, yet I still managed to incur a warning.
So many people misunderstand what free speech is. It is the freedom to say what you want in public, not to publish what you want to some person's web server.
Original post by Stinkum
Of course it wasn't intended to be taken literally, I was trying to emphasise my point. I'm saying that TSR operates on a highly restrictive regime which punishes people for expressing unpopular opinions even if this is done in a civilised manner. I received a blue card completely out of the blue, it was totally unexpected, I'm sure it had something to do with what I've posted on here. I stuck to the rules, didn't offend anyone, stayed on topic, yet I still managed to incur a warning.

If you check your Community Record, you will see the reason and be able to view the post that you received it for, by clicking on the title of the thread just above the reason.
Hmm, well I don't think it's appropriate to be placing the massacre of hundreds of thousands on the same platform as moderators on a privately owned forum who are trying to just keep the community a pleasant one for all.

Original post by Stinkum
Original post by ChickenMadness
Yes but you can't see your actual original post that resulted in a card or ban. All you can see is blue card 'unconstructive post etc.' and thats it.

Original post by moonkatt
If you right click on the blue thread title with the details of the card you received, you should get the post to appear in a pop up. If you find this isn't working you can always come to AAM where we will explain what the card was for.

It's left-clicking that brings the post up for me. Might be right-click if you have weird mouse settings!

You're also not allowed to discuss what you got cards for in the public forum, either - just like we're not allowed to discuss what goes on in AAM, behind-the-scenes, or on another users community record on the public forum. We're very clear about this in our site rules and guidelines, and in engagement on the forum and it's not some attempt to brush "dirty moderation" under the carpet so that the secret of our totalitarian regime doesn't get out!
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
It's left-clicking that brings the post up for me. Might be right-click if you have weird mouse settings!

Indeed it is. Post edited :smile:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

You're also not allowed to discuss what you got cards for in the public forum, either - just like we're not allowed to discuss what goes on in AAM, behind-the-scenes, or on another users community record on the public forum. We're very clear about this in our site rules and guidelines, and in engagement on the forum and it's not some attempt to brush "dirty moderation" under the carpet so that the secret of our totalitarian regime doesn't get out!

Original post by moonkatt
Indeed it is. Post edited :smile:

Indeed - right-clicking, or anything that attempts to open the page in a new tab (rather than an in-page pop-up) is something that can commonly cause problems with 'lack of permission' pages.
ah tis working now.

Original post by Stinkum
Of course it wasn't intended to be taken literally, I was trying to emphasise my point. I'm saying that TSR operates on a highly restrictive regime which
punishes people for expressing unpopular opinions even if this is done in a civilised manner. I received a blue card completely out of the blue, it was totally unexpected, I'm sure it had something to do with what I've posted on here. I stuck to the rules, didn't offend anyone, stayed on topic, yet I still managed to incur a warning.

This. Dude got banned the other day for expressing his opinion about Nelson Mandella backed up by some pretty well known facts.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChickenMadness
This. Dude got banned the other day for expressing his opinion about Nelson Mandella backed up by some pretty well known facts.

You don't know why they were banned, though. You're just making an assumption based on what you've seen.

As someone earlier stated a lot of stuff goes on behind the scenes that most users aren't aware of. A lot of misunderstanding takes place because of this.
(edited 9 years ago)
IMO all my warnings/cards were received because I deserved them.

There's another site I frequent which has much stricter moderation. You can get banned for any of the following:
-Posting a meme (1 day ban)
-Posting a thread/post which a mod thinks is **** (1 day - 1 week ban)
-Posting in the wrong forum (1 day ban)

In that forum, they moderate simply because they want "quality control" and most members there think that it needs more moderation.
Original post by SecretDuck
IMO all my warnings/cards were received because I deserved them.

There's another site I frequent which has much stricter moderation. You can get banned for any of the following:
-Posting a meme (1 day ban)
-Posting a thread/post which a mod thinks is **** (1 day - 1 week ban)
-Posting in the wrong forum (1 day ban)

In that forum, they moderate simply because they want "quality control" and most members there think that it needs more moderation.

Hey SecretDuck!

That's so interesting - thanks for sharing :smile:

Do those kind of rules/ban threats put you off from posting?
Original post by She-Ra
Hey SecretDuck!

That's so interesting - thanks for sharing :smile:

Do those kind of rules/ban threats put you off from posting?

Yes, they do sometimes. I refrain from posting at all if I need a meme to communicate what I need to say.

But I feel that their banning is consistent - and their mods are lightning quick even though there's only a few supermods.
Original post by SecretDuck
Yes, they do sometimes. I refrain from posting at all if I need a meme to communicate what I need to say.

But I feel that their banning is consistent - and their mods are lightning quick even though there's only a few supermods.

Mmmmm interesting. If TSR could learn one key thing from their community what do you think it would be?
Original post by She-Ra
Mmmmm interesting. If TSR could learn one key thing from their community what do you think it would be?

The mods on that site tell the user what will happen the next time they misbehave. They are also more specific in their reasons for the bans - harsh but tells the user exactly what was wrong with the post. On TSR, I did have to go to AAM to enquire further while on that other site, I understood immediately and waited out my ban.

They do put "This user was banned for this post (Reason) -- Name of Mod" in the post though, and that informs users what is allowed and what is not allowed on that site. You can learn the rules pretty quickly if you look at the Event log. I'm not sure whether this would be good for TSR though.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending